• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to find Remington 700 5r milspec .308

enderbantoo

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
Los Angeles
Hey all,

I have decided for my first precision rifle (as a graduation gift) I wanted to get a remington 700 5r milspec in .308 with a 24'' barrel.

Unfortunately this has proven a difficult rifle to find. I have searched online, but I feel i'm not looking in the right places.

So i was wondering if anyone knows where I could find this rifle being sold? I assume it will run me around 1k-1100 or so which is fine.

Also I'm looking for a scope for it, and am still browsing so suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks again!

Good choice. I own 4. If he wasn't a "friend", I'd take back the one I "sold" [been waiting 7 mos. for the cash], and sell it to you. But, they are around. They come up, on this board, every once in a while, or follow the suggestions above. They are a great starter gun, and all of mine shoot shoot under an inch at 100, with my handloads. As for glass, Rangewalker is running a nice deal on the Vortex 6-24. I was going Sightron, but thought the Vortex was the better deal. I started with a Nikon buckmaster 4-16, and it was fine, for a while, on my first one. Then I got bit by the bug, and it's been ...well.... an expensive hobby..., but still cheaper and more fun than golf. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the quick and helpful responses! I'll definitely check out all the places you guys have mentioned!

I am pretty excited to get going with my rifle, I just need to pick up all the gear. I didn't expect so much to be needed besides 'the rifle' thats not included but it makes sense looking at it.

As far as the scope, I'm looking to pick up something for around $300, which puts me too low for the vortex, (although i've seen great reviews for it haha).

The options I have seen so far is the bushnell 10x, a swaf SS 10x42, and a weaver 4-16x. My biggest concern with a scope is that the turrets will match the reticle.

I'm leaning towards the SS scope recently, more specifically the one found: SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope

Can anyone confirm that both the turrets and reticle are in MOA? Its what it seems just want to be sure.

Also if anyone has any input on these scopes (or other suggestions, thatd be great). I'm also looking for a base and rings for the rig.

For context, I plan on shooting at a range that supports up to 600, but I would want to be able to shoot at further ranges in the future.

Thanks again!

The SWFA SS Scope in your link in mil/mil for turrets and reticle, you'll be just fine with it to start. If you can, I'd try to find another $300 to buy a used SWFA SS 3-15, it will make you happier. 10x is enough, but you'll wish you had a little more magnification.

Hey all,

I have decided for my first precision rifle (as a graduation gift) I wanted to get a remington 700 5r milspec in .308 with a 24'' barrel.

Unfortunately this has proven a difficult rifle to find. I have searched online, but I feel i'm not looking in the right places.

So i was wondering if anyone knows where I could find this rifle being sold? I assume it will run me around 1k-1100 or so which is fine.

Also I'm looking for a scope for it, and am still browsing so suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks again!

Theres one for sale right now in the classifieds section...

Found mine at a LGS. While you are scraping your coins together, don't forget to account for a decent 20moa rail and set of rings for your scope, and well as a quality bipod, easily another $250 to $300.

Last edited:
Found mine at a LGS. While you are scraping your coins together, don't forget to account for a decent 20moa rail and set of rings for your scope, and well as a quality bipod, easily another $250 to $300.

Yeah haha, As I am quickly learning, theres always more to spend on. What makes for quality rings? I've been trying to track down whats needed, and whats not. And i can't seem to find much difference between $100 rings and $30 rings. :/.

Also for a cheek rest, would you suggest a solid piece such as : Karsten Cheek Rest

or is Tactical Operations Ammo Cheek Pad Black :: Long Range Accessories :: Long Range :: Tactical Works, Inc. something like that also fine?

I don't feel great about drilling into the stock haha, but it makes sense for the rest, and its something i'd be willing to do of course if the 2nd one isn't a great option.

I started out with an EGW 20moa picatinny rail and TPS TSR tactical 30mm alloy steel low rings, but have since gone to Badger rail and rings that I bought used off of this forum's Post Exchange. I don't use a cheek rest on my 5R; it fits me fine the way it is. The two things that I did that improved the already excellent accuracy were glass bedding the receiver, and replacing the trigger.
Started here:
5Ra_zps0b4cb687.jpg

I'm here now...
5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

Last edited:
I started out with an EGW 20moa picatinny rail and TPS TSR tactical 30mm alloy steel low rings, but have since gone to Badger rail and rings that I bought used off of this forum's Post Exchange. I don't use a cheek rest on my 5R; it fits me fine the way it is.

My stock didn't fit me well. It needed an adjustable cheek piece. I sold the factory stock and ordered an XLR Element Chassis.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I got the 5R as my first precision bolt gun as well Shot Consistant Sub MOA often 1/2 MOA every range trip. Then sold it to fund my dream rig which is the SAKO TRG22 and even know the TRG22 is worlds better I still missed my 5R. It was always on my mind and I regreted it ever since. Just recently I ran accross a post in for sell section for a 20" 5R Barreled Actiona and Freaken JUMPED ON IT. It had 200 rds through it was $600 shipped which was a Hell of a Deal and perfect for what I wanted as I had other plans for a stock anyways.

I know have it bedded in a B&C Medalist Stock and it shoots just as well if not slightly better than my first one. I don't think I'll let this one go for A Long Time. I'm sure you'll Love Yours! Good Luck and Hope you'll find yours soon!