• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to get 204 prefit for origin?

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I think I have decided to do a 204 ruger and that doesn’t seem real common where I can just buy one, so wondering where you have had good luck getting one made? I have gone with proof prefits for all my other builds but they don’t make it for this caliber. I also do not have any gunsmiths anywhere close to me so looking for someone good that is reasonably priced that could order one?

I would like to stick with a shouldered prefit, but that is an option as well

I think I have decided to do a 204 ruger and that doesn’t seem real common where I can just buy one, so wondering where you have had good luck getting one made? I have gone with proof prefits for all my other builds but they don’t make it for this caliber. I also do not have any gunsmiths anywhere close to me so looking for someone good that is reasonably priced that could order one?
I'd try Blue Mountain Precision. Call and. Talk to Eric and see what he can do for you.

Northland Shooters Supply offers barrel nut prefits and have 204 Ruger or 204 Ruger Match reamer options.

Preferred Barrel Blanks list a shouldered 204 as on option for the Origin action. Was the original path I was gonna go but changed my mind and got a Criterion 204 match that I'm putting on a Savage action instead. Got a 6 CM Proof prefit for the Origin instead.

Reactions: Dale264
Thanks to all that responded. I am going to do some research on all of them!

I know you weren't asking this, but just some food for thought, your brass options will be better if you go with either 20 practical or 20 tactical. I am smitten by the 20 cal myself, and have a 204 ruger and a 20 practical, and if I were buying a custom barrel I'd go 20 prac or tac every time. The brass is super easy to make, the downsides, if they matter to you, are no head stamped brass and no factory ammo. I reload everything and am careful with brass so neither downside matters to me at all. You can either get 223 range brass real cheap, or buy Lapua brass if you want top notch brass (also many other 223 options). 204 Ruger options are fairly limited.

As far as the barrel manufacturer, the ones I'd look at were already mentioned. Preferred's prices and lead times have gone up noticeably recently but still probably one of, if not the best value for a shouldered pre-fit. 405 bucks shipped for a threaded with shoulder, chambered and contoured barrel is pretty cheap. FWIW, I have a Preferred barrel for my Origin as well and I like it a lot, it's not a 20 cal though, haha. On another thread it was noted Preferred does not hand lap, so if that's important to you then look elsewhere.

Reactions: goatsie
I know you weren't asking this, but just some food for thought, your brass options will be better if you go with either 20 practical or 20 tactical. I am smitten by the 20 cal myself, and have a 204 ruger and a 20 practical, and if I were buying a custom barrel I'd go 20 prac or tac every time. The brass is super easy to make, the downsides, if they matter to you, are no head stamped brass and no factory ammo. I reload everything and am careful with brass so neither downside matters to me at all. You can either get 223 range brass real cheap, or buy Lapua brass if you want top notch brass (also many other 223 options). 204 Ruger options are fairly limited.

As far as the barrel manufacturer, the ones I'd look at were already mentioned. Preferred's prices and lead times have gone up noticeably recently but still probably one of, if not the best value for a shouldered pre-fit. 405 bucks shipped for a threaded with shoulder, chambered and contoured barrel is pretty cheap. FWIW, I have a Preferred barrel for my Origin as well and I like it a lot, it's not a 20 cal though, haha. On another thread it was noted Preferred does not hand lap, so if that's important to you then look elsewhere.
I actually have a buddy who has a bunch of brass that I can have for the 204 ruger so that isn’t a big issue.

Reactions: archangel485