• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where to get basic gunsmithing tools

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I'm looking for a nice kit with all of the punches, screw drivers and what not... Brownells seems a bit over-priced. Do you smiths in here have a place to recommend?

Re: Where to get basic gunsmithing tools

Just don't go to opposite end of the spectrum and get crap. Most things can be had more reasonable, BUT the driver and bits are GOOD stuff, and if they break, they replace. Midway and 'lesser' kits have some really low grade bits I do NOT like. Good ball peen and decent punches can be had reasonable.
The main thing is to take time and get USEful stuff and not be charmed like a crow with shiny useless gadgets.

Brownell's seems a bit higher then others but the quality of their stuff is much better.

Not sure I want to work on a $1000 rifle with cheap china tools.

One place I don't skimp is tools.

Okay, so I'm getting the idea that the stuff Brownells carries is something like the Snap-On of the auto machanic's world. Some of the best quality stuff around.

Guess I'll have to pony up then. I've never been a fan of junk tools.

i bought my action blocks from brownells, my roll pins are from sears (they're craftsman), the ar15 multi-tools are from brownells as well, but my stock wrench is from Spike's (they make a thicker one), my files are from mid-way b/c they seem to be the same brand as brownells but at a more competitive price.

Brownells is great for TRULY Gun specific stuff, and occasionally Midway has better prices, but honestly I'd rather give my money to Frank than Larry- but that's neither here nor there.
Files and stones and cutters and so on and so forth can often be had cheaper in machine tool and industrial supply warehouses/ catalogs. Where do you think they find this stuff? Starrett punches for instance..... taps, dies, they are out there. for the longest time years ago I thought 6-48 was SUPER RARE and odd and made in a pot by a witch under a full moon..... but be damned if they aren't to be had at MSC and the like. Nothing like experience.

I just keep buying a wrecking punches and Philips screw driver tips.

The straight tips I grind from garage sale name brand screwdrivers. Covered with rust and paint, dull at the tip, pay 25 cents and then grind it to meet your needs.

Just make sure you use quality tools so you don't become uncomfortable and rush the job and mar the finish, scratch the metal, or worse because you used inferior tools.

I sort of agree with some of the others have posted. Use Brownells as a template, and go check out estate sales and garage sales. if you see any craftsman tool - grab it, Sears will replace it with a new one if it is broken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattyfire290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you see any craftsman tool - grab it, Sears will replace it with a new one if it is broken. </div></div>

I have a fairly large three part chest stuffed with Craftsman- The only reason I have Craftsman is because snap-on is so un-godly expensive. Craftsman makes some fairly nice hand tools; I would say above average, but certainly not the best. But as you point out, the lifetime warranty is nice. HOWEVER, that leads me into a concern I've been having more and more lately... Sears may not have a whole lot more time to live. That company seems to be on a downward spiral that may or may not end up in the "sears" name ceasing to exist... and when/if that happens, so too does my lifetime warranty on my tools.

I was in the same prediciment 20 years ago and decided to bite the bullet and get the Brownells screwdriver mega set with all the bits....Long story short best purchase I ever made and have used it time and time again with all my guns.

I've picked up a LOT of my general tools in pawnshops. (I'm an automotive mechanic in my time home from my main job.) If you can tear yourself away from the gun section for a little while, they usually have big bins of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, power tools, etc. Many name-brand tools can be had for like 80% off the normal price if you have the patience to dig through them and pick out the best.