• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Where to get Chrony parts

pyplynr

Minuteman
Apr 4, 2010
Oklahoma
I have somehow somewhere lost 2 of the diffusion rods to my Chrony chronograph. Does anyone know where to get parts for them online. I've found the part # on Chrony's website but nowhere to order them.

Thanks
Adam

Re: Where to get Chrony parts

You will have to call them.
I called and spoke with a woman there on Friday, first impression was "What a bitch".
I also need some of the rods, the woman was so hateful I hung up and made some out of welding rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will have to call them.
I called and spoke with a woman there on Friday, first impression was "What a bitch".
I also need some of the rods, the woman was so hateful I hung up and made some out of welding rod. </div></div>

That was a contributing factor when I decided to move a way and go with Competitive Edge Dynamics Millennium Chronograph. When I had an issue they were very nice and applogetic that I was having an issue. I would never go back to Chrony-it may be a good product, but the customer service is very bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">made some out of welding rod. </div></div>

Why the hell did I not think of that. Thanks.

You can also just cut a couple pieces out the appropriate dia. steel rod from the hardware store. I did this for my chrony and it works fine. It's a little tough to cut; I used a boltcutter. Having a single piece instead of two sections makes setup easier, but the longer rods won't fit in the little chrony carry case, so you need to be careful not to misplace (or forget) them.

I made some from hardwood dowels from Home Depot. They work great. When I loaned my Beta Chrony to a fellow, he shot one of my wooden screen rods...the rod splintered, but there was no damage to the screen or the chronograph mounting point. Seems this was recommended to me by Chrony, but I don't recall.

Sorry to hear about the poor CS. I've had good luck with them, but if I was treated poorly I'd leave, too. CS is high on my list of priorities after product quality.

Warmest regards,
Rob

I got the dowel rods, colored electrical tape and the fluorescent fixture diffuser at Home Depot.

rwoodenchrono.jpg

These dowels position the diffuser higher than OE, which I decided was bass-ackwards, so I've shortened them since this pic was taken.

You usually hear people remark positively about SC's CS. It's just too bad so many SC owners have had to contact their CS.

EDIT:
None of the HD dowels are a perfect fit so I got some that were a tad oversized and sanded them down until they fit snugly. The single wooden rod is much less a PITA than the two-piece metal OE rods.

Chrony used to be better. A friend of mine put a .44 cal bullet right through the guts of a chrony about 25 years ago and they replaced it for free.

I split a gut laughing when it happened but he ended up with a brand new one.

Fred whats the tape for ?

Too high, just right, shit?

Which horizontal plane do you try to stick to?

Kind of odd to find this post right now.

I have some replacement rods and diffusers on the way.

I had no problem ordering them after visiting the site Hogshooter posted a link for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fred whats the tape for ?

Too high, just right, shit?

Which horizontal plane do you try to stick to? </div></div>
The manual says to aim 6" above the unit with a scoped rifle but the chrono can't read the manual so the sweet spot moves. The red line marks DANGER CLOSE for my rifle with the greatest HOB.