• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

where to get maps?

LostMarine

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
Ive looked on USGS and NGA to find 1:50,000 scale maps with no luck, but im looking for area's that are not usually mapped. I cant find what Im looking for on those sites. I know NGA does what im looking for as thats what we used for various things when deployed.
My intentions are getting a few maps so me and a few members of the squad can practice our skills in terrain that is not a "land nav" course, as A. we need to be "on duty" to get those places, B. requires more personell than should be needed just to occupy it, C. we dont want self correcting course, which is all ft dix has anyway.

If anyone has some suggestions, im all ears.

Thanx

Re: where to get maps?

I'd suggest filling out your profile so we know where you are.

In Salt Lake City there is a place called Utah Idaho School Supply. I can't belive they would have these but they do.

Another source is REI. Make sure you shure you wear camo and ask where the guns are. I love watching the bush hippies in our local store get all red and try to nicely explain "they're NOT that type of sporting goods store".

RT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PittsDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd suggest filling out your profile so we know where you are.

In Salt Lake City there is a place called Utah Idaho School Supply. I can't belive they would have these but they do.

Another source is REI. Make sure you shure you wear camo and ask where the guns are. I love watching the bush hippies in our local store get all red and try to nicely explain "they're NOT that type of sporting goods store".

RT </div></div>

If he knew where he is he would not be lost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try www.mytopto.com , they will print maps in a variety of scales, grids and sizes. You can view the map online. </div></div>

I just checked this site out (www.mytopo.com) and its pretty awesome! thanks you sir for the information.

You can download USGS topos for free on their web site in PDF form. They have the 24K:1 for most areas and should have 100k:1 for the whole US. What area are you looking for?
http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs...rd&carea=$ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

You can download USFS maps too. Here are the ones around me:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/forestvisitormaps/index.php

Here is a place to download image files of all of California but you have to know how to navigate it:
http://casil.ucdavis.edu/casil/imageryBaseMapsLandCover/baseMaps/drg/

...and don't forget about GeoCom to find where the BLM land is:
http://www.geocommunicator.gov/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try www.mytopto.com , they will print maps in a variety of scales, grids and sizes. You can view the map online. </div></div>
+1. Been printing topo maps for a while from that site.

why 1:50,000????
We traditionaly use 1:25000 for the majority of our maps. You could use a 1:24000 and use a protractor for that or a civilian compas with protractor calibrated for 1:24000 or you could make you own protractor. I made a field expediant protractor one time and it was pretty easy.

If your teaching land nav fundamentals then 1:25000 will suffice.

Largest map I have is 1:200000 which covers a large area in the middle east.

thanx for the info, ill look into it in a minute.

yes NJ, BTW, and "Lost" as i made my way to the army
wink.gif

and were looking for 1:50 so we can make it as challenging as possible, larger maps, less distinction, harder to just terr. assoc. looooooooooong legs ect.

ok, to offer some closure, I checked again on mytopo.com it DOES have what i need. maps on order.. if you dont hear back from me within a week.......
wink.gif