• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to get Origin or t3 prefits

smokinbobf4

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I have checked with a few places with no luck, but am wondering if anyone knows places who may have a 300 win mag proof carbon barrel. I would like to keep it to people who frequent or support the hide if possible. Just like everything, they seem pretty hard to come by these days!

Reactions: kc0yef
Front Range Precision carries Proof prefits for TL3's and Origins

I have checked with a few places with no luck, but am wondering if anyone knows places who may have a 300 win mag proof carbon barrel. I would like to keep it to people who frequent or support the hide if possible. Just like everything, they seem pretty hard to come by these days!
Reach out to @Front Range Precision. Bought a barrel from them and I'll be buying more soon.

Thanks for the replies! I did check with them, as I have got one from there in the past. No luck this time

Evolved ballistics is another good place. Stocky’s and Altus have them too. I think the 300 WM prefits are a little more difficult to find

I forgot to mention that I am looking for a 26”. And I will check with everyone suggested here. Thanks!

Per Proofs website, they don’t make a TL3 Origin 26” 300wm prefit. Only 24”. If you want a 26” proof, looks like you’ll need to go the blank route. Carbon Six makes 26s though

Per Proofs website, they don’t make a TL3 Origin 26” 300wm prefit. Only 24”. If you want a 26” proof, looks like you’ll need to go the blank route. Carbon Six makes 26s though
Any tl3/sr3 short action prefit will headspace to an origin utilizing a hunts long range conversion recoil lug. Now a tl3/sr3 long action prefit, idk if the HLR lug will swap that over or not. Contact Zermatt and see if the headspace on a tl3 is same in LA vs SA. If it is, the recoil lug conversion will work with the 26" tl3 300wm barrel on the origin. I do know any origin shoulderd prefit is compatible with SA and LA.

Call Front Range Precision. Best price I could find on an Origin when I was looking. Would have bought a barrel through them too if I hadn’t ordered a prefit elsewhere first.

I would think any good smith can chamber your one from a blank. Why not just go that route?

I would think any good smith can chamber your one from a blank. Why not just go that route?
I think this is the route we are going to go. I have also found out as mentioned above that it looks like proof quit making the 26” prefit in 300 win. Also they went with a 10 twist in a 24”. Seems strange as most people like the 26” and 9.4 twist. I was hoping that some place would still have a few laying around. I did check front range and evolved first as I have gotten barrels from both of them in the past and were both great to deal with.

I think this is the route we are going to go. I have also found out as mentioned above that it looks like proof quit making the 26” prefit in 300 win. Also they went with a 10 twist in a 24”. Seems strange as most people like the 26” and 9.4 twist. I was hoping that some place would still have a few laying around. I did check front range and evolved first as I have gotten barrels from both of them in the past and were both great to deal with.
You might try reaching out to Josh at PVA, I’m sure he would take care of you.

Any tl3/sr3 short action prefit will headspace to an origin utilizing a hunts long range conversion recoil lug. Now a tl3/sr3 long action prefit, idk if the HLR lug will swap that over or not. Contact Zermatt and see if the headspace on a tl3 is same in LA vs SA. If it is, the recoil lug conversion will work with the 26" tl3 300wm barrel on the origin. I do know any origin shoulderd prefit is compatible with SA and LA.
Tenons that are the same:

TL3/SR3 Long Action = Origin Short Action = Origin Long Action = Origin Medium Action

TL3/SR3 Short Action = TL3/SR3 Medium Action

That being said, most ORIGIN pre-fits have less threads and a full diameter boss between the end of the threads and the shoulder of the barrel to locate the recoil lug of the Origin better. That feature does not allow the ORIGIN pre-fits to fit a TL3/SR3 LONG action. So, Origin pre-fits don't always fit the TL3/SR3 long actions. BUT, TL3/SR3 pre-fits (of which companies like PROOF make more of) WILL fit the Origins without headspace issues. Engraving won't likely line up but that's not a functional issue, just cosmetic.

As always, reach out to us with any specific questions. Generalizing here is great but everyone has a little different specification for their own builds.

Thanks - Ray