• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where to get raw thread protector stock

jonaddis84

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2009
Toledo, OH
www.area419.com
Im almost positive most gunsmiths use raw, prethreaded stock for making thread protectors and then just turn down to match contour. So where do I buy these from?

Thanks

Re: Where to get raw thread protector stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im almost positive most gunsmiths use raw, prethreaded stock for making thread protectors and then just turn down to match contour.</div></div>

Wrong.

We make them from barrel cut offs or purchase 1" or 1.125" bar stock and make them from that.

Sorry, maybe I shouldnt have said most, but I know Ive heard/seen some use pre-threaded caps that are oversized.

Midway I think sells some pre threaded caps.

for a good fit the smith needs the male thread too. I don't know of any that use prethreaded material for this sort of thing.

We make ours out of old barrels and stubs. For different materials we get short round stock pieces off of ebay. Bore, tap, and turn down to match O.D. and then maybe a little knurling for texture. I wish we could find pre-threaded stock.

As Others have said, Barrel butts or new stock. Fit for each specific job.

If you do very many, there are folks that have CNC machines that will take your drawing and build them to your spec.

I do keep finding quite a few AR15/AR10 caps, but Im looking for something for heavy barrels, and Id assume the AR10 caps are not large enough diameter.

I guess Im stuck with making my own.

Some background on why Im looking for them. I have access to a decent little lathe at my work, and am getting sick of paying to get each of my barrels threaded (poor college kid). I have machining experience, very little, but I do know how to run a lathe no problem. Just never did any serious thread cutting before. Im going to start practicing on some scrap bar stock to see if I can get it right. I just didnt want to have to make a cap too.

Do you guys cut the threads "manually" or use a bottom tap? I guess if I dont have to actually cut them and could just use a tap I could do it pretty easily.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Midway I think sells some pre threaded caps. </div></div>

Midway lists them but the raw versions are pricey and out of stock.

RT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im almost positive most gunsmiths use raw, prethreaded stock for making thread protectors and then just turn down to match contour. So where do I buy these from?

Thanks </div></div>

No not everyone makes them from cut off barrels ends, and yes they can be machined oversize and turned down to the barrel diameter.

PM's sent with some info.

If you are serious about cutting your own threads you do need to practice. But it needs to be perfect practice. In other words if you just throw some bar stock in the lathe and cut some threads and think you will then be able to then cut threads on your barrel that are precisely concentric with the bore you are mistaken.
When I got started I cut a bunch of bar stock. But before I cut a $300 barrel blank I got the correct size indicator and range rods along with an assortment of bushings to correctly fit in the bore and indicate from.
Some people indicate from the outside of the barrel, but I would bet that none of the serious gunsmiths here would do that.
The danger is the bore is not concentric to the outer surface of the barrel. The bore may be a bit eccentric. When you cut threads based on that and screw on your silencer and get a baffle strike you will understand why you want to indicate from a rod in the bore.
Good luck! I spent about 3 months working on throw away take off barrels and bar stock before I made the first cut on a custom precision made barrel. I ruined tools and chipped a hundred dollars of carbide inserts too.

A great trick that saves a lot of time is to get yourself some high quality stainless nuts and cut them down to the barrel diameter and knurl them. Works well for me.

Fulton armory has them not sure what the O.D. is here id the description from there "Upper Receiver Parts Page"

"Barrel Muzzle Thread Protector, 5/8"x24tpi, Steel, Parkerized
Knurled To Allow Fast Installation and Removal" ($17.95 + shipping)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great trick that saves a lot of time is to get yourself some high quality stainless nuts and cut them down to the barrel diameter and knurl them. Works well for me.</div></div>

Question, What kind of nuts are you finding with common muzzle threads found on a modern rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jack_Shoots</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A great trick that saves a lot of time is to get yourself some high quality stainless nuts and cut them down to the barrel diameter and knurl them. Works well for me.</div></div>

Question, What kind of nuts are you finding with common muzzle threads found on a modern rifle? </div></div>
In this part of the world the most common sizes I fit are 1/2" unf and 5/8" unf and a few M18 x 1.00, getting nuts this size is pretty east, the rest have to be made.

We found some stuff threaded 1/2-28. Its was in a boneyard full of old C-54 and C-130 parts. Good luck.