• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Where to meet my Soldier/son on leave?

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
My son/Soldier is deployed on a peacekeeping mission in the Balkans. He gets leave end of June to first week of July.

He wants to visit Italy. I recall from when I was stationed in England (looooonnnng time ago) that there are some good MWR locations around Europe, and in Italy. My Google-fu is weak and I can’t find enough information to locate and to down-select to a good spot.

Any recommendations on Italy, Spain, somewhere on a coastline and warm would be welcome!

Milan, Venice, Trieste would be nice for Northern Italy.

My son/Soldier is deployed on a peacekeeping mission in the Balkans. He gets leave end of June to first week of July.
Any recommendations on Italy, Spain, somewhere on a coastline and warm would be welcome!
There are many wonderful places in Italy but it would depend on what you would consider a good time. On my last week-long visit we stayed in Siena, Luca and Perugia. Put almost 1500 miles on the rental exploring smaller villages in Tuscany. Didn't go near tourist traps like Rome (although we flew in/out there because direct from ATL) or Florence - did drive thru and visit Pisa for a couple of hours on one of the drives.

If you want to just go sit on a warm beach, there are a thousand or more options that would be more convenient for both of you.

It comes down to what you consider a worthwhile use of time. I know people that fly half way around the world to sit on a beach and read, then brag about how they went to Fiji.

I like the touring small villages idea.
We flew into Rome and then drove pretty much straight to Siena, I think we stopped for lunch in Grosseto. Two nights in a former palace in Siena, but we drove out to Montepulciano one day. Moved on to Lucca for two nights which has always been a dream destination for me. Rented bicycles and rode around the entire city (it's a walled city, you can ride around the top.) Then drove to Perugia via Pisa, which is not exactly direct but it was one place I wanted to see. Spent the last night in Fiumicino which is right by the airport, as we had a very early flight - but even that was charming. There were a couple of other really gorgeous villages - Murlo and Montelcino. It's hard to go wrong in Tuscany.

I chose a Fiat 500L for the rental and what a hoot that was. Drivers over there are great as well.

I can't stand cities, but actually enjoyed Rome. You can ride the subway all day on a pass (7eu a few years ago), or take a tour bus to the major attractions. Wife is a big fan of Sicily. Northern Italy and Sicily on bucket list. Some neighbors took a train up to the Italian Alps and said it was a great trip. I have no idea about MWR facilities over there, but you can start by looking up basic info for bases:

If you have some time in Rome, be sure to see the catacombs underground. It is really worth going into the city to see that.

I haven't been there , but Split, Croatia had a good reputation. I spent a week outside of Rijeka, Croatia about 5 years ago. I stayed at a German resort in Crikvenica. I can look up the name.

My experience in Italy is around Gaeta, north of Naples. Nice place to visit, also.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
If you do make it to Montepulciano and you like beef/meats you should check out a restaurant there. They had a seating at 7:00pm and a 2nd at 9:00pm and you needed reservations well in advance. Of course, my data is almost half a decade old. Check out Montalcino if you like wine. I'd recommend taking the train to Jungfrau while in Switzerland.

My buddy had a pension for whore houses around the world he used them for hotels, I’d ask him where to visit but he died of the Hep....

not a joke.