• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Where to send a barrel to get fluted?

USMARINE1108

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2007
Beaufort SC
Hey guys, I have a barrel comming in a couple of weeks that I'd like to send right back out to get fluted. Question is, where can I send it that will have a short turn around time? Any suggestions, please help me out. Thanks!

Re: Where to send a barrel to get fluted?

ive been having compass lake engineering do most of my barrel threading, turnaround has been no more than 3 days to have two barrels threaded with thread protectors. both guns cost under $100 for that. havent had them flute any yet but i saw som spr barrels they did and they looked great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ </div></div>

WOW his work is AWESOME! Might be just the ticket to knock a few ounces off of that MTU I have on order. Any idea on turn around times?

I haven't had him just flute a barrel, but I had him flute a bolt, install Badger knob, time and tig bolt handle, and install side bolt release on an action. I had it back in less than a week and it looked awesome!

That is an awesome turn around. Thanks for the post. I need to find a 591R action and I am still waiting on the barrel from Bartlein. Once I get those in I am REALLY considering sending them off to him for a spiral fluting job before I send it off to Roscoe for the build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barney88PDC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/ </div></div>

WOW his work is AWESOME! Might be just the ticket to knock a few ounces off of that MTU I have on order. Any idea on turn around times? </div></div>

Karl is really pretty busy right now. Many of us wait for the best part of a year for major work. Whatever the wait, the work is the kind of skillful execution that is worth the $ and the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't had him just flute a barrel, but I had him flute a bolt, install Badger knob, time and tig bolt handle, and install side bolt release on an action. I had it back in less than a week and it looked awesome! </div></div>Did you ask Bartlein baout fluting it? Karl would be my first choice to send it off, but if Bartlein will do it, it would save one round trip and some extra down time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BVEAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/</div></div>

+1

He fluted three bolts of mine and put a hunter knob on one not long ago ..........very pleased with his work !

He has two barreled action right now for barrel fluting , side bolt releases and brake work . Not sure what the wait will be but I know it will be worth it
laugh.gif

steelcomp,

I did not call Bartlein and ask. I know they can do straight flutes I am not sure if they do spiral? I would like to get the bolt done as well and in lies the problem. If Bartelin would do the barrel AND the bolt to match then NP. But I am afraid that they would do the barrel and not the bolt. Then I would have to send the bolt off and hope that it matches the barrel. If I have the same shop do both then I know they match. I have seen some rifles with sprial bolts and barrels that did not match. It just does not look right IMO. I just want them the same.