• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to send Barrel Blank to be turned into a pre-fit?

sasquatch98226

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2007
This may be a dumb question, so feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders.

I picked up a Krieger barrel blank certificate at a match for whatever I want , and don't really want to leave my action with a local smith for months for them to fit it to the action, when my action can already take a pre-fit. Who if anyone can I send the blank to have them turn it into a pre-fit? I see several sites like Bugholes, and PVA that make pre-fits, but typically it appears that they are selling the blanks as well, so I am not sure if they perform the service on a blank they did not sell.

Who would you recommend o perform such a service, or would it be better just to sell the cert to someone and take the money and put it towards a pre-fit already done?

Let the beatings begin!!!

Deep South Tactical will do a fast, quality job for you and guarantees their work. Turnaround is one or two weeks.

This may be a dumb question, so feel free to beat me about the head and shoulders.

I picked up a Krieger barrel blank certificate at a match for whatever I want , and don't really want to leave my action with a local smith for months for them to fit it to the action, when my action can already take a pre-fit. Who if anyone can I send the blank to have them turn it into a pre-fit? I see several sites like Bugholes, and PVA that make pre-fits, but typically it appears that they are selling the blanks as well, so I am not sure if they perform the service on a blank they did not sell.

Who would you recommend o perform such a service, or would it be better just to sell the cert to someone and take the money and put it towards a pre-fit already done?

do some emailing to some of the internet friendly riflebuilders as to turn around time. I’d rather wait a month for a shouldered barrel than a barrel nut pre-fit.

I have used @FisherT&C for a couple barrels. My latest is at home waiting for me. Very happy with his work, and the precision of my first barrel. The best part about working with him is the excellent communication which seems to be a lost thing with so many companies.

Almost anyone will do it. The ones you mention are good and will finish your blank.

Am I missing something here? The op says he does not want to send the action out, so the action would have to be something that is spec'd for prefits unless we are calling barrel nut barrels "prefits"?

SPR (Bugholes) have turned pre-fits for me whether or not I bought the barrel from them. They are good to go. I recently had a prefit turned by KI Precision. Fast turnaround and super happy with the end result. I got the rifle assembled over the weekend and did a barrel break in with a random load and it was performing great.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Southern Precision just did one for me in 8 weeks. Nice work and good shooter

Southern precision rifles
call and ask Wade Stuteville
jesse Shwen at Buddys armory in Cheyenne
preece precision
short action customs

you could also try straight jacket armory

Hahahaha yes, let’s not forget @StraightJacketArmory 👎

I have shot with Jesse and a friend has used him for a barrel and it was great. I would have no issues using him.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeckOlu
Josh @bohem at PVA could easily do it also. He has done a bunch of prefits for me and does great work.

Will PVA chamber a blank that you send in? I have used PVA for a few barrels as well using their osprey blanks and they are great!

Chase Fisher of Fisher T&C

Where are you located? Chances are there is a good local guy who can cut you a barrel in days.

You should have no problem drop-shipping a barrel blank to a gunsmith to be turned into a pre-fit for your action.

Lots of good gunsmiths that can accommodate you with this.

Southern precision rifles
call and ask Wade Stuteville
jesse Shwen at Buddys armory in Cheyenne
preece precision
short action customs

you could also try straight jacket armory
-SPR is awesome but crazy expensive. 8+ week wait
-I dont think wade is doing custom jobs. He turns out a ton of impact prefits
-Preece does good work
-SAC is very expensive as well. They will require your action. Prices higher than elephant pussy. Exorbitant Shipping costs. Decent work but time and cost make them a non starter. They have also fucked over some buddies with terrible advice when they were buying their first custom guns so I dont trust their judgement/ethics.

-If you are going to pay top dollar then just send it to LRI and get amazing/fast turn around. Paying top dollar and still waiting 2+ months for work to get done is dumb.

Best bet is to find a local smith or 2 (within a few hour drive, chances are there are some good ones) and use them. I have 3 local guys and Wades prefits I use.

You should have no problem drop-shipping a barrel blank to a gunsmith to be turned into a pre-fit for your action.

Lots of good gunsmiths that can accommodate you with this.
Depends on the action too.

Alot of smiths will not touch a defiance without the action. Even the "prefit" capable ones. Same with Tikka. Those are THE smiths I would use, as they are meticulous and want perfection.

Reactions: kthomas

It might be worth just asking Krieger if they can do it. I had a barrel chambered by them before it was even shipped to me one time. It’s been a great barrel. That would save you several rounds of shipping and the hassle of having to find a shop.

Thanks Everyone, since I can basically choose anything I want, I can either go with my Solus action, or my Accuracy International AT, since both can pre-fits. I am leaning AI since the barrel change is so easy, and no barrel vice is needed. The Solus is the plinker rifle.

I don't do pre-fits because I time every barrel to the action so the barrel is curved upward (12 oclock). Every barrel is crooked along with the bore as well. I indicate off the bore and not the outside of the barrel to find the high spot. I'd rather have a shouldered barrel thats timed to the action. But, if you insist on a pre-fit give Marc a call at Spartan Precision, he'll take care of you with fast lead times. If you want a shouldered barrel that's timed to your particular action, I'll have it back to you in 2 weeks.

I have personally used Mike/Manzella Precision in MT and can say he is gtg. His communication is awesome. He was texting me and sending me pictures of every step he was going through. Super nice guy and will always make time to geek out on the phone about barrel stuff.

Also used Marc/Spartan Rifles in ID. He is gtg. His shop is badass. And he will make your wish come true down to the finest detail.

Depending on where your located, Jake Schur with Schur Firearm Sales can do it as well. Located just outside of Salina Kansas.