• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to shoot in MN

ArcolaArms

Private
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2013
Minnesota
Fellow Minnesotans, looking for your advise on where to shoot. I'm in the Eastern metro. I'm new to this long range stuff (and not so good at it). I wan't to get better though. Can you recommend a few ranges in the area where I can stretch my legs a bit?

Thanks

Elk River Sportsman's Club north of elk River has a 600 yard range. There needs to be a member with at least "Expert" qualification from the NRA in high power matches and three people (shooter, spotter and target puller) to use this. There is a 1000 yard range north of the metro outside Harris. I am a member of ERSC and shoot state and regional F-class matches there along with our Monday night league. Good group of people to shoot with. The other ranges in the state (Duluth and Redwing) cater to the sling shooting crowd. There is a club open to the public on the weekends (Oakdale), but they only go to 200 yards.

We will be shooting a fall fun match the 19th of October, but will only use the 200 and 300 yard firing lines. No muzzle breaks are allowed on rifles when we shoot matches, but can be used when you shoot informally.

Here is a link to our website: ERSC Home Page

Thanks JBD, I'd like to work my way up to joining you at some point. I'm really green and Oakdale is close. I think 200 yards would be a good step for me. I'll check that out. I assume you're talking about Oakdale Gun Club? I thought you needed a sponsor to shoot there/

Harris does have a relaxed 1000yd F-Class match (by relaxed, I mean that it's more or less a practice session...shoot as much or as little as you want) open to the public on Thursday evenings although I'm not sure how long it runs through the fall. Once you decide to stretch the legs a bit it's one of only a small handful of 1000yd ranges in the area. We also have a few 'tactical' rifle matches up there every year, with three on the tentative schedule for next year.

...there's also 300m F-Class matches at MGFC in St. Francis, MN. Those are open to the public and held on the weekends if that's something you're looking for. They have a nice electronic scoring system there, but there are rules regarding allowed bullet types in order to limit wear and tear on their system. If you want any further info on either club, send me a PM. I'm a member at both clubs.