• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to start?? Powder/Bullets/Primers Tikka T3x Varmint .223

quikcolin

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2018
London, Ontario
I know this is a loaded question, with a variety of possible answers - but I literally have no idea where to start? Powders can be expensive and would like to get something that is "close" to start.

I know my Tikka T3x Varmint in .223 1/8 twist loves factory Hornady VMAX 55g cartridges. So I assumed that buying 55g VMAX bullets would be a good starting point. I have a ton of single shot brass from the rifle, just need to fill them with powder and primers.

Any suggestions on powder. I see a lot of Varget out there... but the reviews are "ok" and noting spectacular. The Hornady loading book lists like 15 powders to choose from and I have no idea where to start?

Help!

PS - if this powder could be used in a 1/8 twist AR15 in 223 as well, that would be huge!

While I'm at it - what about a 6.5 Creedmoor powder/primer/bullet recommendation for my Stag10 AR10?

Am I asking too much :)

I would Try benchmark for a powder you can use for bolt and AR platform in 223. I would use 69gr smk or 68gr hornaday for target shooting. That what I use for my AR. `

I would Try benchmark for a powder you can use for bolt and AR platform in 223. I would use 69gr smk or 68gr hornaday for target shooting. That what I use for my AR. `

Thanks for that! I just read some reviews for Hodgdon Benchmark powder. Sounds like if you're shooing a 223 (bolt or semi auto) the stuff is dynamite. A lot of the reviews talk about 52g bullets, 55g, etc. with great results!

(y) Benchmark works great in every 223/556 gun I own. Works with the 53, 55 and 60 grain bullets. Works well with a bunch of different primers too. Velocity is great & meters great. Its been getting expensive but not as expensive as varget. Been trying out 8208 xbr, velocity is a little slower accuracy is good sd/es numbers were better.

Can’t go wrong with Varget

Tons of load data, and decently flexible.

I use Varget for:
223 with 55gr fmj
223 with 75gr BTHP
223 with 80gr ELD-M
6dasher with 105gr BTHP
308 with 175gr BTHP

Reactions: quikcolin
I personally like Benchmark. The case fill doesn’t lead to super compressed loads and it produces better velocity than Varget with the lighter bullets up to 60gr in my experience.

As for bullet choice, I’d run the whole spectrum 50gr vmax, 60gr TMK, 68-69gr 75gr and possibly even the 80.gr Nosler CC. Depends what you’re shooting at.

For the 6.5, try H4350 and 140gr hpbt of any brand.

How about CFE223? Some online research says it burns crazy clean with great results? Seems like Benchmark and CFE223 are top contenders

Assuming your AR also has at least a 1:8 twist barrel (or maybe a 1:7 twist), you might be real pleased with some Ramshot TAC powder for .223. I shoot Hornady 75 gr. BTHP's through my 1:9 twist Rem 700 and get consistent 1/2 moa groups out to 300 yds. using TAC. It's a spherical powder, so it also meters beautifully. It is especially good with heavier bullets (68, 69 75, 77gr's)

As you have a 1:8 barrel, you may also want to try Hornady 73 gr and 75 gr ELD bullets which might get you out even further if you're looking to shoot out to 500, 600, 700 yds. High BC's on those. My 1:9 barrel unfortunately shoots those like a shotgun pattern.

Haven't tried CFE223 yet in my .223, but I have in my Henry 30-30, and it does indeed burn really cleanly and meters well too.

Last edited:
Reactions: XTREM HTR16
You are getting good advice. My go to .223 powders for 50-55 grainers are Benchmark or 8208.

Another vote for 8208. I've found good loads with that powder for bolt guns and AR's, for 52gr match up to 73 ELDMs.

While XBR 8208 is indeed a great powder for .223, if you're planning to run 55gr VMax, then I'd suggest CFE223 (27gr IIRC was my load for a 55gr VMax last year; it was devastating on prairie dogs out to 500+ yds).

The reason I say this is because CFE223 just meters so easily. Using a decent powder measure, you'll be able to drop charges way faster (and more accurately) than XBR (which still meters quite well; just not as well as CFE223). If I don't have to weigh charges, I don't.

That being said, if you plan to launch heavier bullets, than it would be XBR all the way. I never could get CFE223 to work well with heavier bullets.

• Love
Thanks again, guys! This is some awesome information. I feel like I'm on track to some accurate loads! I'll keep you posted

When I start loading for a new weapon/caliber, I start with a manual.

I choose the bullet, as you did, (you're ahead of the game) and then I get the manual from the company that manufactures the bullet. Frequently, the manuals have well-documented notes about what shot best for accuracy.

Then I simply follow the recipe-- I buy the components exactly as listed in the manual, and start there.

My tikka T3X varmint 223 absolutely loves the factory Fiocchi 50 grain vmax ammo. So much that I don’t bother handloading.

Yeah, I have two buddies that run that Fiocchi ammo, and can attest that it does shoot quite well.

I found amazing results with lapua brass, 77 SMK, 24.1 grains of varget.

The tikka throat is short. Still I had no problems achieving .3 MOA groups.

I like 8208 xbr, Benchmark, or ramshot xterminator. Vmax 50 works good in a 1-8 twist barrel as does 55 vmax if shooting inside 400 yards for accuracy. If you need to shoot further than 400 yards I would look at the 75eld or the
80 eld.

I’m shooing 300 meters or less. I bought a 1lb bottle of CFE223 today. My local shop is out of CCI small 400 primers and 55g VMax bullets ??‍♂️

My prairie dog load has been 8208 over a 53 v max. I am down to my last 300 or so, i would have to go look at the box for the charge weight, but it was 3400-3500 out of a 26" barrel. It indeed does not meter as well as cfe223 or H335/Lc844 though.

I’m shooing 300 meters or less. I bought a 1lb bottle of CFE223 today. My local shop is out of CCI small 400 primers and 55g VMax bullets ??‍♂️
If you want to buy some primers purchase rem 7.5 or cci 450. They have a harder cup and will work in the ar as Well as the Tikka.

I sure will, Jammer Six!

Curious about the primers. Codiekfx400 - those CCI magnum 450's are okay for my bolt and AR? That sounds too easy! HAHA. :)

Maybe buy a Hornady, Sierra, and one other manual, then cross reference them against each other for starting info. That way, you'll be more eja-makated about reloading in general, and be able to safely pass along knowledge to future shooters.

Just an idea.

Certainly what clcustom1911 said. Folks here can give you some examples of powders that have worked for them, but without question get the actual load data from a published manual. One manual is great, but more are better. Some powder companies also publish data online for free (such as Western Powders, Hodgdon, etc.). And always start low and work your way up looking for pressure signs.

I have the 10th edition of the Hornady manual. But it doesn’t really cover primers. I didn’t realize that some of the powder companies published free information! I’m going to check those out now

My opinion:

For plinking: federal Champion or CCI

For precision/match: Federal Gold Medal Match.

Unless you love endless experimentation, I like to pick one for each purpose and go for it.

I have the 10th edition of the Hornady manual. But it doesn’t really cover primers. I didn’t realize that some of the powder companies published free information! I’m going to check those out now
Most do their own powders.
Hodgdon makes for imr, hodgdon and Winchester powders.
Alliant publishes their own.
That’s really all I’ve ever used.
Viatochiururirieri whatever does theirs.

Every recipe in the Hornady manual specifies the primer.

But only for a specific rifle - which is a Remmington 700 with a 26" barrel (or something like that) and a 1/12" twist. Winchester WSR primer... but my rifles are 1/8" twist, much shorter barrels - does that matter?

I don't think the rifle matters. I start with the components as listed.

Remember that the load out of the book is a starting point-- then you go on to read pressure signs and test for the goal you want. If you want accuracy, you test for that. If you want terminal performance, you test for that.

I just like to start from a known point, the recipe straight out of the book, and then go where my testing takes me.

I like Ramshot TAC for 77's at mag length, and I like Varget for 80's loaded long.