• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Where to start with a spotting scope?

p712k

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Jax, FL
Looking for my first spotting scope. I am working on a budget right now, trying to keep it under $400. Use would be for 5.56 out to 400 yards. Looking for something with good quality, mil-dots also a plus.

What level of magnification would be recommended for that range and round?

Found many references to the Bushnell Excursion FLP mildot spotters but they appear to be out of production, anything comparable available in this price range?

Also saw a Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50 but they do not have a mil-dot. Would the quality of a unit like this be comparable to a Mark 4 scope?

Last edited:
I think you will find the GR is better than the Mark IVs ALTHOUGH the Mark IV is made in A HD version now, Both have been proven over the years and no mater what comes on the market its nice to know that these are still out there.

John

I use a Kowa which is supposed to be a pretty good scope. I just say that to note your expected ability to see .22 caliber rounds out to 400.

With my Kowa dialed up to 60X I find it can be difficult seeing .308 unless the air is extremely clear, Im using a Shoot N See, or Im using an appropriate target to show the black shot hole on a contrasting paper.

Im not saying it cant be done but try to see what people are using at your range and see if you can try out some gear so you wont be dissapointed in performance if it cant meet your goal.

I scoured fleabay for a used leupold mk4 with mildot and lucked into a beater which leupold happily refurbished. Keep an eye out as more are showing up

Not to hijack the thread, but something to consider. I have two nice spotting scopes and don't use them much because I find it easier to see trace and spot using bino's. I picked up a pair of 10x Steiners with a reticle for about $400. I mount them to a tripod and have used them to spot out to 1600m where it is actually easier to see trace because of the larger FOV. The bino's are not as good as a scope when zeroing though.

I agree with you on Binos to a point. Field of view is awesome but I have noticed some heavy eye fatigue after a long session on the range. Regardless of this, i do find myself using them more and more due to lighter weight and less crap to haul out to the range when shooting alone.