• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Which 1911 for $1000

zanshin09

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2011
Iowa
Yeah, I know. Another help-me-pick-a-1911 topic. There's just so many frickin' options. And I have limited experience with most of them.

I'm looking for one in the $1000 range, my first 1911. I'm always on a budget so a great value is first and foremost. Made in USA is a priority, or *mostly* made anyway - I wouldn't rule out a Springfield, etc. 5" barrel, I don't want stainless, don't need a rail, just a solid example of a 1911. Upgradable is nice but semi-decent out of the box is important too.

What do you think?

Re: Which 1911 for $1000

There are alot of good springers that would work. Many in the loaded family, trophy match, operator, target, and mc operator if u can find one. Range officer has great reviews. Outstanding Base guns to tinker or build from. You CANNOT beat their warranty either!!!!

Dan Wesson Heritage, its a tad over at 1,129.99 but its well worth it.

Zanshin,

As you and others have stated, the Springfield line of Loaded, and MilSpec models are nice!

Colt base models if you can find one. They still make a pretty nice pistol for a production piece. Some minor details here-n-there, but short of ordering a multi-thousand $$ custom, there will always be "details" that are unsatisfying.

STI makes great pistols as well. They make a few in your price range.

I know this one isn't made in U.S., but the Magnum Research(Desert Eagle) 1911's are actually pretty nice too! I think the safety detent on many could be more positive and the fit of the trigger less sloppy. Again, some details that can be changed later. As for how they shoot, they shoot well.

I didn't know Dan Wesson made any for less than $1k, but if they do, and it's what you like, that'd be a good route.

Smith & Wesson and Sig come to mind, if you don't mind an external extractor! Some Sig models have a more square profile slide, so be cautious of holsters is that's the way you proceed.

Still plenty of options, that are worthy in that price range! Have fun shopping!

-G45

G45, Dan Wessons are a tad over 1k

I'd stay away from the Kimber's unless your a huge fan.

They only have 1 year warranties
They use in the white barrels and are known for rusting
They use MIM parts, their $800 and $2000 guns use the same exact internals, both MIM
They don't have a true custom shop like S&W, CZ, and others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigbuckeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used TRP.. </div></div>

+1. Sub-$1,000 TRPs are easy to find if you can just come across someone willing to give theirs up. Through grace I ran into a young gent, relatively new to firearms, who no longer wished to carry such a heavy weapon. Apparently, reality set in quickly for him.

I'll take all the sub-1k TRPs I can find!

I'd still pick my favorite value 1911 even if I had $1k to spend: the STI Spartan. $350 can buy a lot of upgrades, and ammo!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moredots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G45, Dan Wessons are a tad over 1k

They use MIM parts, their $800 and $2000 guns use the same exact internals, both MIM
They don't have a true custom shop like S&W, CZ, and others. </div></div>

Whoa ... hold on a sec.

You might want to check your facts before you go spouting off internet BS.

Not all Kimbers exclusively use MIM parts! Check their Gold Match, various HD models, and Custom Shop models. All of them have true 'Custom Shop' parts and have hands put on them in the shop before they leave the factory.

Next, tell me the name of a production gun maker that doesn't use barrels 'in the white'! Rusting is all about how you care for your firearm ... not what they're made of.

Plus, give me a company that produces production quality guns that DO NOT have MIM parts in them!

It sounds to me like you've been listening to too much internet BS and watching too much of NutNFancy's Youtube videos!
laugh.gif

Seriously, there isn't anything wrong with MIM parts. I've been shooting production and limited for several years, and have yet to find a flaw with MIM parts.

Lastly, Kimber's Custom Shop is every bit as extensive as S&W and quite a bit larger than CZ's. How do I know? I've been to them!
wink.gif
Actually, S&W's 'Custom Shop' leaves a lot to be desired. They often contract out their true 'Custom Shop' services to other qualified gunsmiths in order to save money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next, tell me the name of a production gun maker that doesn't use barrels 'in the white'! Rusting is all about how you care for your firearm ... not what they're made of.</div></div>

The skinny that I got on Kimber was that their barrels had a high carbon content, thus the tendency to rust at the drop of a hat. I've seen several used Kimbers displaying evidence of rust on the barrel.

Kimbers don't have a custom shop.... I grew up in Yonkers, NY and have seen their operations, granted this was 3-4 years ago, they may have expanded their "custom" shop, but all it was is them using a combo of MIM and CNC parts cut or polished to tighter tolerances, hardly a custom job compared to actual hand fitting parts. Their custom shop line are still mass production lines, just not as many built as their others.

their gold cup pistols have CNC parts, but they still contain a fair amount of MIM parts, and for the price of their gold cup, their are still more MIM than CNC, and still not hand fitted.

Im not saying there's anything wrong with MIM parts, but when your paying the prices of their upper tier guns, I want more than MIM parts that have been deburred and polished.

Try calling up Kimber to ask them why you got a barrel in your new gun with no finish and its already rusted... They will tell you it's your fault and their not responsible. Go on any 1911 forum out there, and see if you get a different response. Ask other people on dedicated 1911 forums how Kimbers compare to other 1911's and you will see it's no contest.

And lastly, NO, I am proud to say I have only watched one nutnfancy video, got half way through it and I wanted to shoot my laptop.

I've checked my facts, may not know the most about long range shooting since i've just got into it within the past year, but I do know a thing or two about handguns and AR platforms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moredots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Try calling up Kimber to ask them why you got a barrel in your new gun with no finish and its already rusted... They will tell you it's your fault and their not responsible. Go on any 1911 forum out there, and see if you get a different response. Ask other people on dedicated 1911 forums how Kimbers compare to other 1911's and you will see it's no contest.

</div></div>

You have to be referring to the Gen 1 models and not their "II" line. Granted, they did have a lot of issues with their first line of pistols, but those have all be corrected with the "II" line.

I have never been a 'fan boy' of any pistol manufacturer. I always call it like I see it, both professionally and in my personal experiences. I will go on the record and say that I have NEVER had ANY issues with any of Kimber's "II" designated series of pistols.

Are there better pistols out there for the money? It all depends on your perspective. The old saying goes, " Opinions are like @ssholes, and everyone has one!"
smile.gif
Whether they agree with you or not ... it doesn't make them wrong. However, misinformation is a big problem with a lot of firearms related topics and I just call them how I see them.
laugh.gif

If it were my $1000 I would look hard at Kimber. If you don't like them then go with a Springfield or other brand. STI and Springer have gathered quite a following over the past several years, and even though I've never owned one, I'd say you probably couldn't go wrong with either of them.

The only problems I have had with any 1911 since 2008 has been with a Colt and 1 Springfield. The Colt was a typical "Build it after you buy it" type of scenario, and the Springfield's slide was so sloppy that I could have used it for a Rattle Trap! Colts are grossly overpriced due to their government contract holdings, and they can't justify charging the DOD $800 for a MIlspec pistol, and only charging a civilian $550 for the same pistol. The result is that you get a DOD / Military quality pistol at a grossly inflated price. If Colt were to lose their government contract then you would see their pistols drop $200 to $300 within a few years simply because they wouldn't have to 'justify' their price point.

Being deeply into the firearms industry for the past 4 years professionally I will say this ... It's hard to find a company these days that makes a total piece of junk! The days of Hi-Point quality 1911's are almost a thing of the past. Granted, Hi-Points are cheap and you know what you are getting, so you can't blame the manufacturer. That being said ... there are a few that slip through the cracks, and all too often people on the net tend to exaggerate their issue in order to gain sympathy from the masses.

I had a Kimber and it was sucky. Not very accurate, rough feeding. A friend of mine has a Kimber and it would jam one round per magazine. Finally he got it fixed locally.

I'm not a 1911 afficionado, but know a nicely made arm when I see one.

I bought a used Sig 1911 last year and have been nothing but impressed with it. I gave $750 for it, and it seems to me you'd be hard-pressed to find a finer example for the money. It's fit and finish is excellent, the barrel/bushing fit perfect, and it has a lot of little nice details such as the 25LPI frontstrap checkering, Novaks combat night sights, skelotonized hammer/trigger, and some other odds and ends.

My understanding it Sig uses a minimum of of MIM parts.

I wouldn't buy a Sig 1911 new, as their resale value does not seem too good, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy mine again.

Mine is the Nitron finish, which is a very dark charcoal gray/black (closer to black). Seems to be very durable.

If you are wanting a very traditional JMB 1911 though, the Sig isn't the one for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a 1911 afficionado, but know a nicely made arm when I see one.

I bought a used Sig 1911 last year and have been nothing but impressed with it. I gave $750 for it, and it seems to me you'd be hard-pressed to find a finer example for the money. It's fit and finish is excellent, the barrel/bushing fit perfect, and it has a lot of little nice details such as the 25LPI frontstrap checkering, Novaks combat night sights, skelotonized hammer/trigger, and some other odds and ends.

My understanding it Sig uses a minimum of of MIM parts.

I wouldn't buy a Sig 1911 new, as their resale value does not seem too good, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy mine again.

Mine is the Nitron finish, which is a very dark charcoal gray/black (closer to black). Seems to be very durable.

If you are wanting a very traditional JMB 1911 though, the Sig isn't the one for you. </div></div>

Beat me to it. I was going to suggest the very same thing, I have a P220 SS and a friend has a Sig 1911 XO that he had Birdsong'd because he's worried if his stuff looks good for internet pictures...

But the Sigs are really nice and the Sig 1911 is a great pistol for the price, I've shot a lot of 1911's and for an out of the box gun this takes the cake for anything under the $2000 price point IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: moredots</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G45, Dan Wessons are a tad over 1k

They don't have a true custom shop like S&W, CZ, and others. </div></div>

I was pretty well going to say that...Kimbers are nice, but they are a tad overrated and overpriced. The internals in a Kimber are the same as pretty well anything else. If I was spending $1000--I am buying a Springfield, might be able to find a used TRP for that.

The two TRPs I've owned we're not worth the money spent on them.
Cruddy triggers , bad fit, Overhyped.

For 800$ they're a decent buy. I would not buy a base model and plan on customizing it....you'll have another 1000$ into it.

I'm gonna toss STI up again. My one has somewhere around 18,000 rounds through it from USPSA comps. It's still as accurate as the last Les Baer I bought. Feels like its on ball bearings, is tighter than te TRPs ive owned after just 1,000 rounds, and the two parts that I've broken, the ejector and extractor, a quick call to STI and those parts were in the mail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI Trojan

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=3070000-1095448549 </div></div>

As an 001 ffl I see a lot of 1911 platforms come through and get a chance to observe all their little nuances. Agree STI Trojan tough to beat in that price range or higher.

I have a STI Lawman and a Kimber Warrior. STI makes a great 1911 and you will not be disappointed. If you go for a STI look for a trojan or Lawman.

I feel that the Kimbers' are overpriced new, but if you find a particular model that you really like go for it. That said, try and find a good series 1 used.

Other models to take a look at , but I have no experience with are

Doublestar 1911
Ruger
Colt Combat elite
Desert Eagle 1911
Remington R1

I have a few from $1K to $4K, for $1K, I like my Sig Nightmare Carry, it shoots great right out of the box. Yea there are some MIM parts but like a previous comment, I've never had an issue, it's a good looking gun for $1K or less, I got mine for $875

Another vote for a Sig 1911! I asked the same question a few months back and looked at pretty much everything I could get my hands on priced from $650.00 to $1,150. The Sigs had by far the best fit and finish of anything I looked at. I ended up with a Nitron rail for around $740.00 that I've been very happy with. Yes, the Sigs will have an external extractor but so what (unless you are an absolute purist)...it does what its supposed to do and the gun has performed flawlessly. FWIW the Springer Range Officer was also very nice for the price and would have been my second choice after the Sig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Yes, the Sigs will have an external extractor but so what (unless you are an absolute purist)...</div></div>

Sig now has the "traditional" model, which still bears the external extractor, but has the classic slab sided profile of the original.

+1 for Sig. I have owned a couple of Colt 1911's, shot the kimbers and springfields. But I have to say for a 1911 under $1000 your not going to beat the Sig 1911. I own one in S.S. 5" barrel. Best out of the box 45 I have ever shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">educate me....What is a MIM part? </div></div>

MIM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Injection_Molding

Read that and then tell me if you wouldn't prefer parts machined out of solid tool steel.

I never would have thought that in a firearms or that it would even hold up in one...Who all uses this process? Thanks Veer_G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never would have thought that in a firearms or that it would even hold up in one...Who all uses this process? Thanks Veer_G </div></div>

It would surprise you. I would guess 80% of all handguns out there have a mim part or two. Guess on low end 100% have mim. S&W revolvers are loaded with mim fire control parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never would have thought that in a firearms or that it would even hold up in one...Who all uses this process? Thanks Veer_G </div></div>

It would surprise you. I would guess 80% of all handguns out there have a mim part or two. Guess on low end 100% have mim. S&W revolvers are loaded with mim fire control parts. </div></div>

You can look on the 'net doing a search for "MIM parts list" and come up with a good chunk of info. Here's a recent breakdown for Colt, as seen on another forum:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How the current Colt 1911 pistol parts made:

<span style="font-weight: bold">MIM</span>
sear
disconnector
magazine catch
magazine catch lock

<span style="font-weight: bold">CAST</span>
Thumb safety
grip safety

<span style="font-weight: bold">FORGED</span>
slide
receiver
barrel
slide stop

<span style="font-weight: bold">MACHINED</span> from bar stock
hammer
all pins
bbl link
bbl bushing
trigger finger piece
ejector
firing pin
firing pin stop
extractor
plunger tube</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">educate me....What is a MIM part? </div></div>

Read that and then tell me if you wouldn't prefer parts machined out of solid tool steel. </div></div>

The connecting rods in your truck are probably MIM.

Still worried about their durability?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">educate me....What is a MIM part? </div></div>

Read that and then tell me if you wouldn't prefer parts machined out of solid tool steel. </div></div>

Still worried about their durability? </div></div>

If given a choice between $200 or $300 worth of parts in a pistol, or accepting all the MIM, I have the option of choosing to do something for myself that a manufacturer might not want to do across the board because of reasons of economy of scale. That's how I look at it.

Have Kimber, Colt & STI. The STI wins hands down. Trojan for around 1k & customize as you get more familiar with the 1911 platform.

Good thing if you just can't take mim for $250-300 you can change it out. There are plenty high end vendors out there just a flip through Brownells away.

This is just the sort of feedback I was hoping for (OP here). I hadn't looked too closely at STI but I definitely am now. Really liking the looks of the Springfield Lightweight Operator as well, I really like the finish better than the parkerized versions.

Anybody have any direct experience with the Remington R1 Enhanced?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuppressorJunkie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">educate me....What is a MIM part? </div></div>

Still worried about their durability? </div></div>

If given a choice between $200 or $300 worth of parts in a pistol, or accepting all the MIM, I have the option of choosing to do something for myself that a manufacturer might not want to do across the board because of reasons of economy of scale. That's how I look at it. </div></div>

Sounds reasonable to me.

Got an STI on order now! Cant wait to get my hands on it!

I just picked up my first 1911 this past weekend..

It is a 4" Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry. I got it for $1022.90 out-the-door. I have shot a bunch of pistols and a select few 1911s. I may not be the most experienced, but I will say this one doesn't leave me wanting very much more at the moment. It is a phenomenal firearm and does exactly what it is supposed to do.

I've had lots of Kimbers and most of them were pretty good, not all of them. I don't think that there is a thing wrong with mim parts however having mim parts doesn't make them better than bar stock either. I know there are tons of great ones out there but of the guns in that price range, my Springer RO would out shoot many higher end 1911s and was very reliable.
Kimbers are fine but I think you pay extra cause they are pretty. I think the CDP is one of the prettiest factory 1911s out there and I've had two. Neither one was reliable.

Out of the 1911s that I have held and shot. I've take a liking to Sig's, STIs, and Springfield's.

At just over 1k the Dan Wesson Heritage is my pick.

I've got one, and I love it.

Own a Sig Tac-Ops TB and love it. Trigger is smooth, recoil is light, and the threaded barrel is wicked when I want to be quiet with the Osprey. Highly recommend this 1911. The only downside is lack of available holsters.