• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 20" 308??

Roadwild17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Central East Texas
Im looking to get a 20" 308 for some +500 yard shooting and to use as a deer/pig gun, something smaller & more handy. Im wanting something with a threaded barrel for use with a can. I was looking at a savage 10 precision carbine 19057. It's got a 5r rifled threaded barrel, DBM, accutrigger & accustock.

The other main contender is the 700 aac-sd. All the reviews say the thing is mostly a 1/2 moa gun. Several reviews make it seam like they are a step above a regular sps tactical. Its got the 1:10 twist and threaded barrel.

I know the Remington has the aftermarket support, but if the accustock and accutrigger are worth half a dam, I wont need much for aftermarket goods.

Any others I should look at?

Re: Which 20" 308??

I went through a shooting school with a guy that had a AAC Remington that was bone stock but had been put in an AI chassis. It shot as well as my custom built .300 and that is about 3/8 moa!

I have been asked by a buddy to work up a match-grade handload for his 308 -- it is a bone-stock Savage 10 FP-SR. When I tested against factory ammo (Fed GMM) for a baseline, it shot consistent 5-shot groups of less than 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Average group was 0.470".

Easily maintains sub MOA out to 500 yards.

At that point, I put the rifle away, and gave it back to him ... told him to forget handlads ... just keep shooting the Federal GMM and be happy.

I say, go with the Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WSprtuaL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking for a similar setup and decided on the AAC-SD. If your pockets are a little deeper the 5r is also offered with a factory threaded 20" tube.
</div></div>
The question is whether spending $1015 on the 5R gives you $400-worth of advantage over the $615 AAC-SD. I would be curious to see what people would say about this juxtaposition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question is whether spending $1015 on the 5R gives you $400-worth of advantage over the $615 AAC-SD. I would be curious to see what people would say about this juxtaposition.</div></div>

The 5R has a serviceable stock and won't have to be painted to keep it from rusting. The finish on my AAC-SD sucks! I took it hunting on a very foggy morning and rust started appearing before I got home to clean it that night.

I'd say, if you're comfortable with the factory stock on the 5R, it would probably be a wash price wise (given that the stock on the AAC-SD will need to be replaced to achieve maximum performance). If not, the AAC-SD would be a little cheaper after upgrades.

Love my 20" 5R and it shoot great stock. If I didn't have a GAP in route it would be a keeper for sure.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The question is whether spending $1015 on the 5R gives you $400-worth of advantage over the $615 AAC-SD. I would be curious to see what people would say about this juxtaposition. </div></div>

5R = Stainless Steel and a better stock.

Considering the HSP can be resold for $250-300 I think the price difference makes sense.

what kind of stock comes on the 5r?

I believe both the 5r ad aac-sd come with the 40x trigger, which i hear is still crappy, but better than the standard trigger.

The 5r really puts a strain on my budget, I would have to justify it some how.

The stock on the 5R is a HS precision.
A very good stock indeed.

The 40X is NOT a crappy trigger.

That said, niether the AAC-SD or the 5R comes with a 40X trigger. They both come with the X Mark pro trigger.

It is not my favorite trigger but is very serviceable.

I see you made no mention of the Howa 20" HB model. It too needs a better stock, but it is a very good rifle.

The Savage PC is often overlooked, but shoots very well. I overlooked it and bought a LTR, later bought the PC and would not by a LTR again. Place the PC in a manners stock and it would be a very nice rifle.

My LTR is also a great shooter. A .6 shooter all day with 175 smk's and 2000mr. I have used it to 1k several times without issue.

I am also in the process of purchasing something in the .308 powerhouse that is good/great right out of the box up to 500 yards. After spending months reading and viewing and asking for a great starter shooter rifle(not breaking the bank) the REM aac-sd IMO is hands down a great choice.
I'm looking at $615 to start and $600 for a mid-level scope that will take me out to 600Yards with no issue.
I also realized that Rem. is like a Ford, everyone makes great killer parts for it to take it up a notch.

My Rem 700 shoots better than 1/2 MOA. I can't shoot as well as my rifle - something about needing oxygen. My vote on Remington. Keep it simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MJW117</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Know that the Remmy has a $40 rebate. </div></div>

I buy all of my equipment used. I end up getting so much more than I ever could afford new.

the x mark trigger is just fine and it serves it's purpose just fine. Keep in mind that the x mark stock trigger is adjustable from 3.5lbs to 1.5 lbs.. You can always spend the $200 for a upgraded trigger at the range on ammo practicing and improving your shoots.

I love my LTR

I have one and LOVE it
I bought it used with a Jewell trigger
shoots just about any ammo sub MOA and will do one hole groups with several handloads at 100 yards and .5 at 300
I shoot it to 1K with 175g SMK handloads

I have upgraded the stock to a Manners MCS-T

It's great rifle, I have hunted with it as well

rangedaymay22008.jpg

I run the Tikka T3 Tactical 308 and have 2000 plus rounds through it and it is a TAC Driver. I have sold several of the Savage Model 10's and they have recieved strong range reports

My 5r bolt action is much smoother than the other Remy's I own which are not 5r's.

The LTR is a good 20" rifle...put a can on it and you'll have an awesome rifle. Shot one last week and had a lot of fun on the range.

I have a Rem SPS restocked on a Mcmillan stock with DBM bottom metal and factory trigger dropped to 3# and it will about hang with my much more expensive custom made Whidden rifle. It is a sub moa rifle for $600. I would rate it as a half moa rifle but that is off a bipod with me shooting it and I am not an expert. After spending mucho mula on custom rifle, in retrospect, I would probably be a better shot if I used that time and money to buy ammo and practice. If I was looking to spend a little more, Remington makes a few 5r rifled 20s that are already threaded for more like a grand. The SPS has a lousy stock and you would have that much in it by the time you restocked it and had it threaded.

Savage 10PC is a great rifle for the .308 round, and can be had with the 5R, fluted barrel, and threaded for a can, right from the box.

There is alot more aftermarket support for the Savage's than people give it credit for. I personally loved my 10PC, but my shoulder didn't. The 10PC shot well in just the Accustock, but shot really well at sub-1/2MOA to 100 yards, and sub-MOA to 300 yards in the Manners. You can get into one easy enough. Your dime, your time.

DK

I'm in the same boat... but the 5R is going to be out of my price range. I'm hoping to get a deal on the AAC-SD and build it up from there.

I already bought one my Smith & Wesson 686P not too long ago so I've gotta build back up my recreation stash before plunking down the cash on the Remmy. But after doing research here on the Hide and seeing what everyone else has, the AAC-SD seems to give you some pretty good bang for the buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the AAC-SD seems to give you some pretty good bang for the buck. </div></div>
+100000000000

5r or cough up the dough for a custom or high end. Wish I would have to start with.

The AAC-SD is suprisingly accurate. With a good stock under that barrel and action you can get very good results. I have seen this first hand.

My kids Precision Carbine holds better groups at 100 and 600yds then my LTR, shoots barnes ttsx 130 or 168 gr bullets into very small groups, and has over 1500 rds through it. The accustock worked for a long time it will reside in a manners when hunting season is over, the accutrigger is okay(I like the options for my LTR trigger wise better). If your going to go the 700 5r route I say go for it, when it comes to the LTR or SPS give the savage a close look.

I have a sps tax with hs stock forsale in the classifieds right now. Pm me for details.

Just picked up a rem 700 sps tactical and put Nikon bdc glass on it. Went with this over the savage ps based on the feel of the action. (trying something different over my ar's and ak's) Won't get it to the range till next week. Will let y'all know how it shoots, if I do my part.

Plus, the Savage 10PC can utilize the 10 round magazines with the factory bottom metal... Can the Remington Tactical??

Just sayin!! LOL

DK

I just went through the same choice. My buddies Savage .308 10PC with the 20" bbl out shot my 700 PSS with a 26". I just picked up a 10PC from the gun shop today. I might keep the PSS but I'm impressed with the Savage. You get more for your money with a Savage.

Just a thought for you, if you go with the 700-AAC-SD model

NewCadexStrike30.jpg

Here are the links for the Special Offer Group Buy with a savings of over $300 from price

<span style="font-weight: bold">SNIPERSHIDE Special Offer</span>
http://www.drakeassociates.us/content/snipershidegroupbuyprogram
http://www.drakeassociates.us/content/cadexstrikeseries

<span style="font-weight: bold">Strike 50 (McMillan TAC50 / MK15 Sniper weapon) Chassis</span>http://www.drakeassociates.us/content/strike50

<span style="font-weight: bold">Strike 33 (700 Long Action)</span>
http://www.drakeassociates.us/content/strike33

<span style="font-weight: bold">Strike 30 (700 Short Action)</span>
http://www.drakeassociates.us/content/strike30

thanks