• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Which 20 MOA mount should I use on my Savage fcp-k?

Serbu50

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2013
I have "spent all of my money on" my Nightforce glass, as recommended by you guys. I am using a Savage fcp-k rifle and of course the NF scope. Is there a more economical rail I can use besides the $150 NF rail that will work in my case? Thanks folks.

Serbu50
I have a Warne Tactical 20 base and Warne Tactical 30mm vert. rings if your interested, let me know.

EGW makes a good aluminum 20 moa base for around $40.I have several and they work great. Ken Ferrall has 20 moa bases for $110. I think.

+2 for EGW. If it's "bedded" when installed it's just as good, and a smidge lighter, as a steel rail. People get excited about the thermal expansion differences between a steel and aluminum rail. They always seem to forget their scope is aluminum alloy so there's no escaping a thermal expansion delta. A difference will occur between the rail and the barrel or the rail and the mounting rings. It WILL happen at one or the other. Barrel to rail should provide a more consistent expansion delta than what one will obtain between widely separated mounting rings.

What makes a nightforce or ferrel $100 more?? Both made from the same material as the cheaper mounts. I'm guessing name and hype.

Murphy Precision, also you never said what caliber and how far your plan to shoot it and what type of NF and available vertical adjustment? Some low dollar aluminum rails will walk due to metal stress and fatigue on the screw mounts. If you are going for distance, you might look at a 30 or even a 40 moa rail and what distance you will zero at? JMTC

.308, on a Savage 10....... Nightforce 5.5-22x50 MOAR Burris Signature Zee ring mounts.

Buy a less expensive one now and save up the money and buy a steel base. I like them better than the aluminum bases.

So you bought a Nightforce scope, a $1200 rifle, and youre wanting to cheap out over $100 on possibly the most important part? Just call one of the places on here that sells NF, get the steel 20 MOA base, skip a few meals and be done with it. How much ammo will you waste as well as your time re-zeroing with the new base when you get a good one?
Heres the nightforce steel base at Brownells for $116. Buy once now, or twice later...
NIGHTFORCE TAPERED STEEL BASES | Brownells

EGW and Weaver are both $40. I prefer the Weaver myself.

I myself do like the higher price bases such as NightForce, even own one. However, I own these name brand bases not because I need it, I own them because I can! I too can be a Fashion Queen just like all the Operators on this site. I am not blind to see that Paying anything more than $40 for a base is a waste of money unless you are into Gucci things, like me.

TPS is if you want steel.
Weaver if you want aluminum (or Blackhawk!, made by weaver in the USA)
EGW if TPS or Weaver doesn't make one.
Anything else if you just don't need all that money in your pocket.

Watch your front screw length - every single mount I've tried regardless of price had front screw that is too long and jams into the barrel thread - it needs to be shortened 2-3 threads.

I used to bed all my mounts - now I am just too lazy, and can't tell the difference, but you know, if you have to have the peace of mind ...

Last edited:
Serbu50 Good choice on the scope, will it be mostly recreation, OP, hunting, etc? Reason I ask is, Burris makes excellent products, but if your going to do a lot of banging around, vehicle, quad, bike, you might later want to look at some heavier rings for your 2k scope. Experience is a brutal and sometimes expensive teacher and has beat me pretty hard a few times. Good shooting, it does look like you have made some good choices and it should work out fine with the Savage. Your probably going to find you will stay with or possibly excel some fellows carrying rifles they paid 3 to 4 times more than what you did for yours. Good choice. Reloading is one of the big keys to accuracy and it works.

Last edited:
I will just be a range dork learning windage, range finding... Numbers gaming ammo, etcetera. My good friend who is a retired Marine sniper and instructor is holding my hand getting started. At some point I will build a .300 win mag, take this scope, and better rings, mount, etc and put on the .300. If I can hit a 20'x20' target at 600 yards with this... Victory!! ;) I have a single stage reloaded that I see being used soon with hand loads. Damn this hobby is addictive. And you know I'll buy another NF too... Never fails.

I have a friend on this board I shoot with, he can shoot a 4 shot five inch group, at 1,000 yds with his .300 WM and he is in his mid 60's. He goes by Sat Cong, asking him to send you a pm with a pic, I was there when he did it. Good luck on your journey it will be fun and a challenge and will never end, but well worth the effort.

Cool thanks. Unlike another huge gun forum, you guys have been very helpful with minimal negative or stupid remarks. Thanks for making this fun to learn about!!!