• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .22 AR-15 clone?

jeffm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2001
West Virginia
Getting my boy a .22 for his 16th birthday. Which one? Ruger SR22, Sig 522(I know its not an AR), S&W M&P .22, Colt?

Re: Which .22 AR-15 clone?

A buddy of mine has the SW-MP and its a bang up gun....we take it out with us to play around with.....it just keeps on shooting.....

Another vote for the S&W, it does run as advertised.

+1 on the Nordic, when he gets older you can get him a .223 upper and have two toys
laugh.gif

I bought my son (15 y.o.) a S&W MP 15-22. We've had it a month or so now. Probably have shot over 500 rounds without any misfires or failure to eject issues. I researched the choices pretty hard, and decided on the S&W because the operation and controls are nearly identical to a regular AR, much more so than on it's competitors. The bolt stays open after the last round, which not all the others do. The bolt release button on the left side of the gun actually works (again, not all do.) I want both my son and I to train on and become familiar with AR's shooting the 15-22 first before getting the 5.56 NATO version. And its just a plain fun gun to shoot. I shoot cheap CCI Blazers for when i want to burn through rounds, no problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Getting my boy a .22 for his 16th birthday. Which one? Ruger SR22, Sig 522(I know its not an AR), S&W M&P .22, Colt? </div></div>
None of the above. Buy or build-up a dedicated AR22 Upper, which will be interchangable on an AR15 lower. The only concern would be that the dedicated AR22 Uppers don't like notched hammers. I plan on putting together another lower so I'll have a dedicated AR22 rifle for my daughter to shoot, but below are some photos of my Frankenstein TacSol / LWRC M4 AR22 upper.

I bought a Tactical Solutions AR22 Receiver, Bolt, and M4 profile barrel from <span style="font-style: italic">crossgun</span>, then added a barrel nut, charging handle, A2 flash suppressor and cone washer I got at a gunshow. Below are some photos of my dedicated AR22 Upper I built-up from the Tactical Solutions AR22 core and an LWRC Rail w/LWRC-marked Troy BUIS' to mimick my LWRC M6A2-S.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">TacSol AR22 Receiver, Hardened SS Bolt, and 1:16 M4 Contour barrel:</span></span>
StrippedTacSolAR22Upper2.jpg

TacSolAR22EtchedLogo.jpg

Then I bought a BLACK LWRC Rail and LWRC-logo Troy BUIS' and mated them with the rest of the parts I had acquired and created...

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">My dedicated Frankenstein TacSol / LWRC AR22 Upper:</span></span>
TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperRSBUIS8x6-1.jpg

TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperLSBUIS8x6-1.jpg

TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperRSRABUIS8x6-1.jpg

TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperLSRABUIS8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of fore end and free-floated barrel:</span></span>
LWRCRailCoverOff8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Closeup of SS Bolt and rear BUIS:</span></span>
TacSolLWRCM4AR22UpperEjectionPort8x.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S in MRE finish w/Magpul UBR in OD & Black, OD MIAD, Tango Down Rail Covers, & Larue LT-706 + KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSRABUIS28x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">LWRC M6A2-S in MRE finish w/Magpul UBR in OD & Black, OD MIAD, TA11, Tango Down Rail Covers, & Larue LT-706 + KMW PodLoc:</span></span>
LWRCM6A2-SMREMagpulRSRAACOG28x6.jpg

just what every 16-year-old wants... a .22! Oh wait, how about a <span style="font-weight: bold">CAR.</span> haha

anyways- I also think a true AR lower with .22 upper is the way to go, or if you can afford it, a complete AR with extra .22 conversion kit. The dedicated 22 rifles do not have the .223/5.56 upgrade option.

The three uppers to look at are Spike's, Tactical Solutions and Nordic Compaonents (not necesaarily in that order).
The three magazines to look at are Black Dog, Black Dog and/or Black Dog...in that order
smile.gif

I have not run a Spike's
My Tactical Solutions really likes Federal bulk pack ammo and not much else...yet.
My Nordic Components likes most everything. The NC was designed from the ground up as a 22.

Push two pins and switch between a 22 and a 223 (or variant), learn trigger control on your main rifle on the cheap, and they are a ton of fun.

The conversions are typically not as accurate or reliable as the dedicated uppers.

Pat

I really like the S&W 22lr, it eats whatever I feed it, and the price is right.

Another vote for the Tactical Solutions AR22 upper.

S&W M&P 15-22.

I have the Magpul model (Magpul brand flip sights, stock, and grip). The other versions are a few $$ less. It's a great .22 rifle!

As said above plus some:
o Lower uses Mil-Spec parts (FCG, safety, bolt catch, magazine release). Trigger was replaced with a RR 2-stage.
o Take-down system (pins) is standard AR allowing easy disassembly for cleaning & mantenance. Bolt slips out rear of upper by releasing and pulling charging handle.
o 25 or 10 rd mags with bolt lock back on last round.
o spec Picatinny rail for optics and other accessories.
o Threaded barrel (for suppressor
smile.gif
)

Some of our SWAT guys shot mine a few weeks ago at a range day and all said "I gotta' have one of those".

Mine has devoured about 3k rounds without a single failure.

Again, the S&W M&P 15-22 is an outstanding firearm, and you will not regret getting one!

Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input, looks like it will be a S&W. </div></div>I have one also, great rifle.

I suggest the Nordic too.. mine has run great.. one piece of advice I think everyone will agree on..... buy lots of mags!

RJ

Nordic dedicated .22 upper. Mine is a blast and eats whatever ammo I feed it. I run it with SWR Spectre can and subsonics a lot and its always done well and accurate. Mine is the 18" stainless target barrel. I couldnt be more happy with it. I use a Leupold Prismatic sight that works well with it.

yeah why not a true AR15 with a 22 conversion so one day when he grows up he can already have the big boy gun?

I use the s&w 15-22.
Shot well over 2000 of the cheapest rounds I can buy.
It is perfect for forward moving practice as well as any other tactical training.
It is light and cheap enough that when you bang it against walls and obstacles you are climbing it isn't such a big deal.

If you'll be interested in accuracy look into a dedicated upper .. if your looking for just plinking fun looking into the conversion kits theres nothing wrong with these kits they're getting better and better used to be youd get Paper plate MOA now people are saying they can get 1-2in which isnt horrible

Look into CMMG dedicated uppers that can be had cheap and are very very reliable. I have one that eats anything Ill through at it and w CCI SV shoots just as good as my Savage MkII and the CMMGs have the weight or a real AR and can be customized from top to bottom.

CMMG Dedicated .22 Rifle
d7aa4358.jpg

If you have the means, the compass lake .22 dedicated upper is hard to beat.

The are super accurate and reliable.

I have owned two.

Only reason I sold was I got a crazy deal on a fulton armory upper

i had a sig522 and LOVED it
my best friend has an mp15-22 and loves it he also just bought the heavy barrel 522 and loves it as well

neither has ever had any ammo issues, neither has ever had any feed issues or ejecting issues.

the sig is great, but nothing you can really do to it after purchase. the mp can accept all most all ar components so you can mix/match to your hearts content.

I rather like my Nordic Components. Accurate and so far eats most everything when clean.
P1030151.jpg

Pat

Another vote for Tactical Solutions AR-22.

I have their AR-22 M4 complete upper. I can switch it back and forth with my Spike's .223 lower without any issues.

I would have voted for the Tac Sol AR-22 Upper as well. Because that is what I have. However I don't think you can go wrong with any of them out now. People just recommend what they have, and I haven't really heard anything wrong with any of bigger names (Nordic, TacSol, CMMG).

Looks like you already decided on the S&W, but I think the upper is a better alternative. Especially if it only comes out to $100-200 more.

i've read that you can order a CMMG upper with a working forward assist and setup/magazines that will hold the bolt open after the last round is fired.

do any other uppers/rifles have BOTH of these features?

I picked up an S&W M&P 15-22 MagPul model myself about 3 weeks ago and it's a blast to shoot. Did a lot of research and in the end it looked to be the best dedicated AR-22 out there.

I've had a few FTF issues, but it's a cheap ammo problem, not a fault of the gun. At only .04 cents per shell, I can deal with a couple duds.
wink.gif
More than 1500 rounds through it so far and it's very accurate at least out to around 75 yards (farthest I've shot it so far).

If you don't go for an AR lower with a .22 upper, I'd definately recommend the M&P 15-22 as a dedicated solution.

-Jester

Count me as a TacSol .22 upper fan. I own one and love it. It is very accurate and reliable. The early/initial kits didn't have a chamfered chamber. The later kits also had a modified charging handle. I had an early kit that I sent back to have the chamber chamfered and it fixed an occasional feeding problem. Now mine is 100% reliable. They threaded the barrel to a tenon length of between .4" and .45" which is perfect for most .22lr suppressors. Some other companies thread their barrels to .65" which is standard for 5.56 caliber AR barrels. The problem you might experience with that is the threads sticking too far into the back of a rimfire suppressor, which can result in those threads getting an accumulation of lead and fouling.

I run my TacSol kit with CCI ammo mostly but it also shoots Remington bulk stuff pretty well. I only have experience with the Blackdog mags in the rifle but they work great. I've noticed that running suppressed I do get some fouling back in the magazine. I have to occasionally pop the spring and follower out of the mags to give them a good wipe down to keep them running smooth.

I have experience with the Colt/Walther gun and am not impressed in the least. Nothing about the lower is standard AR, the mags are too long, the safety selector operates 180-degrees to go from safe to fire (which sucks if this is a training rifle), the barrel uses a sleeve/liner system like a P22 so for .5x28 threading you need a P22 adapter, the way the rifle breaks down limits the user's ability to really get in there and clean like you would a 5.56 rifle, etc. Just a lot I didn't like about it. Plus, the ones I shot were VERY ammo picky.

Heres the big question. Do you guys think the M&P 15-22's will hold up? When it comes to my rimfire I shoot about 1,000 a month during the summer and down around 200-300 a month during the winter. How do you think the S&W is going to be running in a few years? I'm afraid of the plastic, yea i know Glocks run the plastic frames and i know our local cop has runs MANY rounds through his but im still not sure if i can trust an all plastic gun. Thoughts?

I have easliy over 1000 rounds through the NC upper and it is just getting settled in and starting to shoot very impressive. If I can do my part and get the scope adjusted right, 200 yard plus hits are coming pretty regularly on whistle pigs. The gun just keeps getting more reliable as well. It seemed to short stroke when it got dirty with 50 round BD magazines. Put over 500 rounds through it today and not a single FTF extract or stove pipes.

The only problem with Nordic Components is that it took me 8 months to get the upper I wanted and I see that they are out again. Not sure how long they will be out this time???

Pat

I liked my first upper so much I got a second one. I shoot the first one (not pictured) in Steel Challenge matches OPEN division with an 8moa dot C-more. 16,000+ rounds through it.

I built another lower and shoot this one in the IRON division. Gotta love the NC22! Only about 300 rounds through this one so far. Runs like a scalded dawg.............

Keith

NC22IRONgun8Large.jpg

NC22IRONgun14.jpg

Which mags are those? I've been trying to find out medium-sized mags for my cz V-22, but so far I only know the default 10-round mag and BDM 27-rounder which is too tall.

V-22 mags are only available from CCS/BDM.
I the long mags too long, you might search tool called a hack saw. Cut just below the middle screws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heikkiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which mags are those? I've been trying to find out medium-sized mags for my cz V-22, but so far I only know the default 10-round mag and BDM 27-rounder which is too tall. </div></div>

If you are asking me...these are 15rd mags. The difference between the 10rd mag and 15rd mag is a little plastic "stop" that the follower hits. If you grind down that stop it becomes a 15rd mag (with no issues). The spring is the same for both mags. Takes about 2 minutes max to do.

Keith

Mags here:

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/Magazines-and-Accessories_c31.htm

Wrong.
CZ V-22 mags won't work with Nondic/Ciener/BDM/CMMG, nor with M-261/OLY, for AirForce.

Only VZ V-22 or BDM/V-22.

I have a Nordic upper on a RRA lower. 100% reliable with subsonic and HV ammo. Have abour 300rnds through it

I really like my Nordic NC22 18" upper. It's back at Nordic getting some revamps done. Mine was one of the newer ones off the line.

We just recently got in a LAR Grizzly side charge 22LR billet upper and so far they've been very impressive. We ordered a pair at SHOT11 to test out for retail sales and just received them about 2 weeks ago. It uses a stainless CMMG bolt carrier setup. It has been gobbling up ammo very nicely. The side charge will be nice for the suppressor crowd for sure.

We had a recent customer have a kaboom on a S&W M&P 15-22...his second so far on the same rifle. It didn't feed the round quite all the way but still went off...left a bad taste in his mouth. He's sending it back to S&W.

Long term, I like the idea of dedicated uppers over a "sorta" AR-15 that is completely proprietary and won't drop on any mil-spec lowers. We had a customer bring in a Colt 22LR AR-15 and it was a bit...odd. Unscrewing the flashider to be able to remove the takedown pins was a bit hinky. The takedown pins weren't secured with detents like normal. Seems to be kind of a backwards solution for a company who should be on the "higher end" of the AR15 platform.