• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .22lr pistol?

olivera10

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2011
Goleta CA
Auto loading
Accurate enough to hunt small game at 50-60 yds
reliable.

Biggest caveat I'm in California
eek.gif

Re: Which .22lr pistol?

You probably will not be disappointed in a ruger autoloader with a 5 1/2" bull barrel. I've got one in the Mk3. biggest downside to the mk3 is that the loaded chamber indicator causes jamming issues, and the magazine disconnect causes trigger pull issues. both can be worked around, but if you find a good mk2, go for it.

I am carrying a .22 revolver most of the time these days ... honestly because they are just so easy.

I bought a Smith 22A this year 7" barrel. For less than $260 color me impressed. Feeds and functions flawless. Trigger is not bad but not great either. It is plenty accurate for 50yds which by my standards is the absolute outside of pistol hunting range with a 22lr. Unless you are talking a specialty pistol. It is not a Ruger Mark II but it doesn't give up much to the Ruger that is almost twice the price. Integral rail for scope or dot, good partridge style irons, its features are impressive.
If you are an IHMSA champion shooter then maybe you can hunt a bit farther than 50yds with a pistol, but I don't reccomend it even then...I am, and I don't.

I'm liking the S&W M&P .22 and the Ruger 22/45 Lite personally, but have't decided which one to purchase yet. I've got about a 5.5 months wait for the SS Sparrow so I got time to decide.

browning buckmark silhouette
ruger mk 2 with long bbl

High Standard target 10"

Browning Buckmark

Smith & Wesson 41 if you have the money.

Another vote for the S&W 22A and the Buckmark (VERY similar guns).

Whichever one you get, make sure you pick a heavy barrel and oversize target wood grips. Makes the gun balance so much better with just about all of them. Comp shooters even add barrel weights.

S&W 22A

talo_22a_deluxe_copy_1-tfb.gif

Browning Buckmark

target_pistol_browing_buckmark.jpg

Had a buckmark. Great .22 pistol.

Traded it for a ruger 22/45 a few weeks ago and love it. Reason is the target/heavy barrel. As stated above by KSwift, get a heavy barrel and there are any number of pistols that will work great.

Getting tight groups out that far (50 - 60 yards) with a pistol will be the tough part. But with cheap .22 ammo, you can practice till the cows come home.

Love my Ruger Mk2. They can be quirky to clean and work on, but once you do it enough times it becomes second nature. Other than that there are practically no down sides. Tons of aftermarket goodies, I put new cocobolo target grips on mine, feeds everything, as accurate as I am, and used are often under $300.

Another Buckmark vote here, but I also really like the 22/45 Lite.

20121114_095540.jpg

I concur with seanh, a Browning Buckmark Varmint or Silhouette.
Same 9-7/8 inch barrel but the Varmint lacks the forestock.
Add an EER scope and it's a lethal small game pistol.

Buckmark_Varmint.JPG

At 50 yards even my poor offhand skills can hit minute of rodent

Varmint-50yds.jpeg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rincon10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Auto loading
Accurate enough to hunt small game at 50-60 yds
reliable.

Biggest caveat I'm in California
eek.gif
</div></div>

I love My cool-licious Benelli. Pretty easy to hit the 2" wide steels I made at 50Y.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Benelli-MP-95-Target-Pistol-(black)__Benelli-spc-MP-95EB-22.aspx

DSC00148.jpg

If you're mechanically inclined, get a Ruger Mark II. If not, get the Buckmark.

Ruger seems pretty popular in the competition circles. Accurate, cheap, reliable, can't ask for more.

I went the 22/45 route. Had a couple jams every now and then. I picked up 5 mags when I got my Ruger.

I marked the mag every time I had a jam, turns out it was the same magazine. I tossed it in the trash and haven't had a jam since.

I got a red dot sight, accurate but not very fast, I couldn't find the dot. I went back to the irons and shoot it pretty good. Still if I don't have to shoot fast, the dot works great.

100_1990-1.jpg

heres my ruger markII lower with markIII upper. never had any loading issues. i shoot groundhogs out to 50yds using that red dot. my cousin has a taurus tracker 17hmr that gets em out to 100+yds if youre leaning towards a revolver

Browning Buck mark would be great, I love mine, I also love my Smith 41 but it is much more expensive and at least for me is reserved for range time. steven

buck mark for cheap and available. rugers suck to clean. My high standard victor and my model 41 shoot lights out

Ruger Mark-II Government Model (6 7/8") -none of the lawyer driven parts of the Mark-III.

And the research begins
Big thanks to everyone for the great info and pictures
I have huge hands so I will definitely be getting a target grip
The benelli looks sweet but then they all do!
Supressors don't fly in PRK
frown.gif

will keep you updated

Benjamin Marauder .22 PCP pistol.

More accurate than any of the above.
No FFL bs.
No firearm bs.

ad infinitum

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No FFL bs.
No firearm bs.

ad infinitum </div></div>
I have one of those. fun little carbine
it's a little long for me to shoot in the pistol configuration.
I just got a lothar walther barrel for it and will be testing it this weekend.
I also drilled out the transfer port to the next size and put an ldc on it for backyard friendliness
it puts out a hair over 20 ft lbs for 16 good shots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rincon10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

No FFL bs.
No firearm bs.

ad infinitum </div></div>
I have one of those. fun little carbine
it's a little long for me to shoot in the pistol configuration.
I just got a lothar walther barrel for it and will be testing it this weekend.
I also drilled out the transfer port to the next size and put an ldc on it for backyard friendliness
it puts out a hair over 20 ft lbs for 16 good shots </div></div>

That's cool you guys like airguns too! Modern PCP's, gotta love em. I have a Steyr LP5 and a Morini 162EI. The electronic trigger on the Morini is set at 1oz.

Browning Buckmark

I either have or have had nearly all the various 22 autoloaders including Hi-Standard Trophy and Citation, S&W 41, Rugers and my lil 5 1/2" Buckmark is still one of my favorites. Have one with a 2X scope on it and is zeroed at 230 yards, it's my WOW gun when a bunch of fellas get together and then hand it to them and say hit that lil plate out there. Surprising accurate

Easy to work on, very reliable, fits most hands and just feels right. You can't go wrong with this choice.

Topstrap

I vote for the Sig Trailside. Mine was very accurate with a great trigger and I only spent 300 or so IIRC. I bought that in 2002, I don't know what they go for now.

I found the exact pistol I had for sale on gunbroker they are apparently more expensive now, but 400 would still put you into a pistol with great balance, a great trigger, and maybe adjustable sights all contributing to already great accuracy. Mine was finicky, but loved Remington target made by Eley, it was truly an awesome piece it doesn't surprise me at all to see they have doubled in price. Try this link http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319774773

The sig trailside is over a grand now
I am looking more at the smith&wesson 22
and can't decide between the 7" barrel and the
5.5" bull barrel.
Any thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sig 1911-22

the barrel has a removable tip that will allow you to buy an adapter for a suppressor </div></div>

I've had great luck with my Sig 1911-22. It has surprised me how accurate it is. If I do my part, it will out-shoot a friends 10/22 using CCI Blazer bulk pack. I do need to keep it well-lubed though. I haven't yet, but plan to get a SS Sparrow for it at some point. I like that I can unscrew the thread protector on the end and get an addapter for it. The Ruger offerings (pistol) and Buckmark are also great pistols. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Smith and Wesson Model 41 is kind of a nice pistol. I've shot one a few times...and swear to someday own one.

Limit your shots on game to the distance you know you can hit the vitals. Even the lowly .22 LR will still get the job done as far as you can hit vitals even if that's 100 yards.

Deadly Punk.

Ruger MKII pistol with adjustable sights. Plenty accurate out to 50-60 yards with good ammo. Love my MKII's.
DSC00221.jpg

I have one MKIII and have done a little work to it. Very accurate. Needs adj sights for the longer shots. The new LW model would have very little "hang weight" and would be like shooting pistol made of styofoam. Some weight helps steady your aim.
DSC00662.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaia</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I concur with seanh, a Browning Buckmark Varmint or Silhouette.
Same 9-7/8 inch barrel but the Varmint lacks the forestock.
Add an EER scope and it's a lethal small game pistol.

Buckmark_Varmint.JPG

</div></div>

Hear, hear--

DSCN0072.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut49b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you get, make sure it will work with this cliploader! It's so awesome for the range, but you'll shoot twice as much ammo.

Ultimate Clip Loader

You won't go wrong with any of the recommended pistols. I have a Ruger MKII 22/45 and like it.</div></div>
That cliploader is pretty sweet!

I was going to mention a Ruger 10/22 Charger. Way more accurate than just to 50-60 yards. Though only a pistol by technicality.

I would have to go with either a 22/45 or Buckmark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZO6Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to mention a Ruger 10/22 Charger. Way more accurate than just to 50-60 yards. Though only a pistol by technicality. </div></div>

Proper term is specialty pistol, as I alluded to in my post. No doubt a really great little gun, but technically not a toter.

Ruger MKIII with Hunter Barrel is my choice.

However after I purchased that one, I ordered one from Volquartsen with a carbon fiber barrel and target tigger. So by once cry once I guess.

Ruger 22/45 Lite!!!!

They aren't all that hard to clean once you figure it out and they don't need to be cleaned all that often.

Ruger MKII-10"bbl by Jim Clark.
Ruger MKII Comp-Target
S&W 41

''Buckmark's for me ,I have 2 ,one target model with a red dot and a Camper with fiber's . Have shot all kinds of match's formal and informal with the 5.5'' target model and it has always preformed and it loves all the bulk pack stuff !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rincon10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The sig trailside is over a grand now
I am looking more at the smith&wesson 22
and can't decide between the 7" barrel and the
5.5" bull barrel.
Any thoughts? </div></div> I bought the S&W 22a with 5" bull bbl its incredibly accurate and I now understand a 7"bbl can be bought off the S&W web site. Man it fitsd great has a great trigger . I love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heydavemd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would it be bragging to say I love my S&W 41 : )</div></div>

I just shot one of these at the range today, for the first time ever....I must have one, NOW!!

very impressed!

Are the S&W 41 really $1000, give or take???