• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .22lr pistol?

Re: Which .22lr pistol?

If you don't want to spend a ton or do mods the buckmark bull barrel I think is the best option out of the box for the price. Unless ruger has changed over the last couple years the triggers are horrible stock, and taking them apart and putting them together does have a learning curve, but maybe newer ones are improved.

The old browning belgium challengers were amazingly nice if you can find one in good condition, a really nice one with barrel weights though will run you $1000+, but a non-bull barrel can be had closer to $500. My father had an old challenger and it's significantly nicer than my buckmark 5.5 bull barrel in all respects.

The old S&W 41's are super nice as well, but again will run you near a grand. I've heard the older ones are smoother and have better triggers than the newer ones but I haven't shot enough of them side by side to make that claim.

Once you break $1000 Benelli and Hamerelli come into play along with walther.

I guess the Ruger 22/45 with a scope, not sure on accuracy at that distance as I have never tried. Robust, reliable, relatively cheap. S&W 41's are around $850 and up for the newer production and $1000 and up for the older ones. Could also look into the Pardini and other Olympic style pistol.

Personally I would look at a 6"+ S&W 617 or Ruger Single-Six Hunter, and send it to Clark for trigger work and timing. Timing is to make sure each cylinder precisely aligns with the bore when the firing pin hits. In factory form some chambers might be more accurate than others. Or even an T/C Encore pistol

If you want a Model 41 look for an older one. New versions have some slight QC issues, not critical but noticeable and troublesome. For example new model 41s frequently leave marks on the breech face.

+1000 for the Smith 41. I like the 7 1/2 barrel. Shoots awesome, kinda pricey bit blows the competition away. Get a Ruger if you either never want to take it apart or can smith on stuff... They're a PITA to tear apart and put together, I know a few guys that work on guns but won't work on any Ruger semi autos MK I, II or III...22/45 same issues.

Smith 22A is nice to shoot and accurate, definitely less expensive than the 41

Colt cadets are nice, woodsmans are real nice... Buckmarks shoot good for the money ....

Thompson Contender for single shot...

I personally don't like the Walthers, Sig or any of those small 22's for any distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PSYOPS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heydavemd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would it be bragging to say I love my S&W 41 : )</div></div>

I just shot one of these at the range today, for the first time ever....I must have one, NOW!!

very impressed!

Are the S&W 41 really $1000, give or take???</div></div>

Psyops,
Yeah they're proud of them. I know that about 2 years ago they could be picked up for around 800. I got an older one and like it better than the newer version. Best 22 you'll ever shoot in my opinion. Come down and you can shoot mine..

I have one of the Newer Model 41's & while I agree the older ones tend to be better overall, I have nothing but good to say about mine. Flawless as far as I can tell comparing it to my Dads older model 41, Only issue is the older mags have a slight issue in mine.

I like my sig sauer mosquito easy to clean and disassemble reliable with 40 gr round nose I've shot thousand of rounds out of mine

IMHO the Buckmark is very "new shooter friendly" if you're taking others to the range, like kids/wives/non-shooters. everyone loves the ergonomics when they shoot it. Easy to maintain; but there are a couple screws that love to come loose on mine despite how much loctite they get.

The Ruger is the workhorse. Does what you expect every time; but harder to take down.

Can't go wrong either way, and both can be found/modified to be very accurate, or very light, or add sights, etc.

Main complaint about either handgun is that the magazines are very expensive (even before the recent insanity).

I had a Hammerli 208 at one time, and I must say that it was the most accurate gun I have ever shot. It so accurate that it felt like cheating. I only sold it to fund another gun purchase.

IMG_1498.jpg

OP - send me a pm if you find yourself in the LA area and want to try my buckmark and mark III both nicely modded, very accurate and a joy to shoot. Buckmark is lightweight tac solutions build and mark 3 is more of a comp gun.