• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 22lr rifle to get?

Francqua

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Portland, OR
I'm looking to get my son a semi-auto .22 rifle. This will be "his" 1st gun that he will own. He has let loose on my 5.56 CMMG AR. But, I want to see how he does at taking care of his 1st gun; and how responsible he will be before I by him a higher powered rifle. I'm looking to stay below $200, with a detachable mag. I would really like to stay below $150..if possible. Ok folks, I need some quick feedback...I got to pick up the gun before he gets here this week end.

Re: Which 22lr rifle to get?

I bought the M&P 22. It is very light with an adjustable stock. The gun was very easy for him to handle and he immediately started hitting targets. I bought it when he turned 8.

I can't remember what I paid for the gun.

Ruger 10/22. They are inexpensive, tons of aftermarket parts (if you want them), magazines are cheap/plentiful and in my experience they will eat anything you stuff in the mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger 10/22. They are inexpensive, tons of aftermarket parts (if you want them), magazines are cheap/plentiful and in my experience they will eat anything you stuff in the mag. </div></div>

+1 on the Ruger 10/22. They are the "standard" of plinking .22lr rifles, and can be built up to shoot very well with strong aftermarket support.

If you are set on semi automatic, the Ruger 10-22 is the way to go.
I would suggest a bolt action for a first rifle. It can be much better at teaching fundamentals, and is a bit safer to learn on as well. Savage and Marlin both make inexpensive bolt actions that work great.

Inexpensive semiauto - get a 10/22 or a Savage 64.

But really, for his first rifle, I'd get him a Savage or Marlin or CZ bolt action. Slow him down. Make each shot count.

New or used will work well.

Of course, you can get him a single shot magazine for the 10/22, but while I find those ... adequate ... for turning a gun a kid has into one that follows the rules for the organizations that insist that kids shoot single shots, I don't think they are as good as a bolt action, simply because a bolt action works smoothly as a single shot, and a 10/22 doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are set on semi automatic, the Ruger 10-22 is the way to go.
I would suggest a bolt action for a first rifle. It can be much better at teaching fundamentals, and is a bit safer to learn on as well. Savage and Marlin both make inexpensive bolt actions that work great.</div></div>

+1

I would avoid a semi-auto as a first gun. I got my daughter a Henry single shot bolt action for her first gun and I believe it was about perfect. Once it is sighted in, give him reactive targets like clay pigeons or swinging targets to keep him excited.

Bought my son an Achiever many years ago. He did not cling on to it like I thought he would.
An inexpensive Pappose got him loading and shooting as long as he could keep me waiting.Steel reactive target also helped. A bolt gun may become evolutionary, may not. Just might be growing a gas gun driver.

A 10/22 would be a great option given your criteria.

I'd like to suggest a Marlin 795 @ $139. Although this rifle will not have anywhere close to the aftermarket of a 10/22 it's much cheaper & a great value!

I put a set of fiber optic sights on mine & re-worked the trigger, I prefer my 795 heavily over my father's 10/22. I would also put the accuracy up against any stock barreled 10/22 as well, it's very very accurate.

795 has a last shot hold open, 10/22 does not,
795 just slip the mag in and drop the bolt unlike the 10/22 where you have to hold the bolt back then drop it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wfjames22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ruger 10/22. They are inexpensive, tons of aftermarket parts (if you want them), magazines are cheap/plentiful and in my experience they will eat anything you stuff in the mag. </div></div>

Perfect for a beginner all the way through pro.

10/22 will be a.bit above your price point they hover in the 220s. 230s. A Remington 597 may fit the bill and serve the same purpose. Other option may be the savage 64. Id suggest a semi auto though.

As a gunsmith I prefer the internal setup of the 597. Jarvis barrels are extremely accurate with not too expensive ammunition. The only real upgrade is the barrel, hammer and extractor. As far as the stock - I cut and melted in a few metal support rods and did a little epoxy and fiberglass rap and now it is set up just like a McMillan A-5 stock. The thing is custom and looks like a large caliber sniper rifle. Sub MOA with 40gn CCI mini mags even out to 200 yards without wind of course.

I agree with the 10/22! I've never had a problem with mine and I got it when I was about 10 (I'm 35 now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the M&P 22. It is very light with an adjustable stock. The gun was very easy for him to handle and he immediately started hitting targets. I bought it when he turned 8.

I can't remember what I paid for the gun. </div></div>

I use one of these for the range and practice. I love it S&W M&P 15-22. Paid $450. Has threaded barrel with flash hider, Adjustable stock and full quad rail system. Shoots CCI flawlessly..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiPgTlKYikM

I have a 597 that i use for Steal Challenge matches, works great. I have also used it for target practice from 50-100yds. It has pretty good accuracy out of the box.

just my personal opinion, but i agree with getting a bolt action for the first gun, really make him slow down and remember the fundamentals! otherwise its just a fun plinking toy that will shoot cheap ammo. sure thats what most 22s end up being, but a 22 bolt action is always fun!

i would go with this one
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/produ...Bolt+Rifle+22LR

cheap, accurate and has a detachable magazine

Got all the kids (3) 10-22's.. Big mistake, scopes, extra mags, and a brick of 22 on a Saturday.
I think the Marlin or Savage 22 bolt would have been better, and more economical..
IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are set on semi automatic, the Ruger 10-22 is the way to go.
I would suggest a bolt action for a first rifle. It can be much better at teaching fundamentals, and is a bit safer to learn on as well. Savage and Marlin both make inexpensive bolt actions that work great. </div></div>

I second the bolt action. It really makes you value each shot fired as a new shooter. Instead of the mindset of "oh ive got 10 rounds in there so if i miss 5 or 6 no big deal"

Ive seen this mindset with kids, women, and even snipers. Semi auto systems always temp you with a poor shot since you have ample follow ups.

That being said you could maybe pick up a used marlin or savage bolt gun for your budget area.

I would go with a savage bolt Action. Look around for a good deal on a mark ll

10/22 is hard to beat. let them fall in love with shooting semi auto then when the dust clears they will want to shoot more accurately and take their time, thats what i did anyway.
if i started out one at a time, make every round count, i might not have liked it as well because it wasnt as fun.
when i take the nephews shooting i have them blast however they choose then i see who can shoot more accurately. it keeps it fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opelboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 10/22 is hard to beat. let them fall in love with shooting semi auto then when the dust clears they will want to shoot more accurately and take their time, thats what i did anyway.
if i started out one at a time, make every round count, i might not have liked it as well because it wasnt as fun.
when i take the nephews shooting i have them blast however they choose then i see who can shoot more accurately. it keeps it fun. </div></div>

Im sure most people started out on pellet guns or bb guns. Maybe not but me and my brother did and those are single shots usually.

It really made you deliberate each round you fired.

To each thier own but if i i have kids they are getting bolt rifles for a long time.

The OP didn't state how old the son is but I read later that he's 8yo. The 10-22 is a winner but as a retired teacher, I feel that a semi automatic is a bad choice for a kid as a first gun. I've seen kids whip around to discuss the last shot not realizing that 9 more rounds are ready to rock with the squeeze of a trigger!

For a FIRST rifle, my choice would be a bolt action Marlin (probably a used one) that could be picked up for a "C" note. It offers accuracy, one shot capability encourages concentration on one shot at a time and numerous safety advantages.

When my friends and I go out to plink, I even get wrapped up in spraying rounds and forgetting my shooting basics as we compete to hit a target. 10-22's are great but they encourage bad marksmanship habits.

A pat on the back to you for shooting with your son....+10!

Flash