• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .308 barrel for 155 Lapua's?

wareagle700

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
SE Georgia
Remington SPS Varmint 26" 1 in 12.
or
Schilen Match Grade 22" 1 in 10.

I am using a Badger M5 so the max OAL for my bullet will be about 2.860. I have both barrels already, just need to decide which to use. Both barrels will probably need a new chamber cut to avoid a .12" jump with the lapuas.
Assuming both will need the work, which barrel would be the best for the 155 Lapua Scenar?

Re: Which .308 barrel for 155 Lapua's?

You don't need the faster 1:10 twist for the 155gr Scenars, but it will work just fine with them. The 1:12 will adequately stabilize the 155gr loads with no problems.

As to the make/mfg of the barrel...I wouldn't consider a Remington factory barrel for any build when comparing options like Shilen (or Rock, or Bartlein, or...well, you get the idea).

I have the two barrels already. They along with the work cost me nothing. I would love to have a nice custom barrel but until I get one, these are my choices. The rifle currently has the 26" Remington barrel insatlled but im looking for better accuracy with the 155's. (throat is way too long)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wareagle700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the two barrels already. They along with the work cost me nothing. I would love to have a nice custom barrel but until I get one, these are my choices. The rifle currently has the 26" Remington barrel insatlled but im looking for better accuracy with the 155's. (throat is way too long) </div></div>

Have you tried 175's in that OEM barrel? Most of the OEM M700 barrels that I have observed (mine included) do not shoot the 155's very well (~1.5moa), probably due to the long throat. These same rifles do seem to shoot the 175's quite well (~1/2moa). My advice is to try 175's with ~43.5gr Varget and see how she shoots, unless you got your heart set on 155's.

If you're going to the trouble of setback/rechamber, you may as well put a custom barrel on there, if you already have it, as it's no extra work.

BTW don't sell those Shilen barrels short. Everyone I've seen that was chambered well, shot very, very well.

Thanks yall.
I have the time and equipment to play around with it, I guess I will just try and see what works best. When I get a job, a Krieger 24" MTU and Nightforce F1 are first on my list.

Scenars shoot with a jump to the lands , even long throated Remmy sewer pipes, just fine. They like to be pushed really fast - in the 2900 + fps range for longer distances out to 1K. If you aren't shooting beyond 800, slower speeds under max loads are fine.

Don't base accuracy at 100yds. Go out to 200 - 300 to test accuracy. IME several 5 shot groups at 100yds might be in the .635 - just sub 1" group or a little larger depending upon you and your setup. If you can shoot consistently then at 200-300yd the groups tend to actually shoot tighter sub MOA groups at those distances.

My experience is with the same base rifle as yours loaded within AICS mag lenth.

What powder and brass are you using? What load data?

use the shilen match grade. Factory barrels are pretty rough some times so I would think the shilen would just built a little better. Also You dont loose a lot of FPS going from a 26" to 22" with the .308. both twists would stabalize the bullet but keep in mind its better to over spin than to underspin the projectile. 1-10 would allow you to shoot the heavier bullets as well if desired.

+1 mavrick10_2000 "shoot at 200 or 300yrds" to realy see what your load is doing. Example why: I personaly have shot 210 bergers out of my 1-10 factory .308 which shot 1/2MOA @ 100yrds but... it did not shoot 1/2MOA @ 300yrds which told me the bullets wasnt stable at 300 like it is @ 100yrds.

good luck and happy shooting!

Thanks yall.
I put the Schilen on yesterday and shot it this morning. It shot very very good with some 168 factory but have not had a chance to load up with the 155 lapuas.

One more question:
With the Lapua's, my max OAL is 2.92 and my max mag length is 2.86. Is .040" too big of a jump for these bullets or should I be ok?

I am using Winchester brass, CCI 200's, and RL-15.

try it. They do like to jump, but not sure if .040 is too much. I didn't do a lot of work-up with mine, but my max OAL is only 2.850ish, and I am loading mine for a .010 jump and they are shooting better than I can send them. I'm shooting them out of a factory Savage 1:10 barrel @ 2920 and they seem to like the fast twist - they shoot WAY tighter than my 175SMK's EVER did, at 100, 200, 600, and 1,000 yards. I don't know if it's just because I have gotten better at shooting or reloading or both over the past couple months(it's possible, as I am new to this long range shooting and reloading game), but I've stopped using the SMK's because these Lapuas are shooting so much beter...

I loaded 155 Lapuas and the 155 SMK palma with winchester brass, cci-br-2 large rifle primers,44.0 grns of Varget. my OAL was 2.798-2.800 (depending on the quality of tip), 2.8 insures feeding. I'v had issues going out to 2.82. Loads shot 1/4 and 1/2 MOA @ 200yrds from my facoty remington VLS model. Did not get a chance to chrono it (waiting on new parts). I plan on running with it. I was using 168SMk w/ RL-15 42.0grns (sierra's accuracy load) the load shoots damn well at every range but its only gogin 2525-2500 out of my 20" barrel (cut the 26" to 20" and recrowned it.)its just too slow for my liking and i know the 155's are gogin at least 2600 probably more like 2700.