• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 308 barrel to throw into my SP10?

sethrrows

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2017
Nebraska
So, I've successfully burned an entire afternoon looking into a 16" 308 barrel for my SP10. It had a 22" 6.5 barrel on it, that has been pulled, and the decision has been made to replace it with a 16" 308. I've narrowed it down to 2 barrels..... a stainless Proof or a Rainier Arms Ultramatch. Initially, I was gonna buy the Proof as its 16", cut rifling, and intermediate gas. That was until I stumbled across the Rainier Arms barrel. The RA barrel is 16", button rifling, and rifle gas. The more I dig into the RA barrel, the more I'm leaning into it. The price and form factor of both barrels are close enough that either would fit the bill for me. Am I overthinking this, and just stick with the Proof barrel? Or does the rifle gas system of the RA barrel out weigh the name and cut rifling of the Proof barrel?...... and we don't need ask @padom, who makes or finishes the RA barrel.... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

So, I've successfully burned an entire afternoon looking into a 16" 308 barrel for my SP10. It had a 22" 6.5 barrel on it, that has been pulled, and the decision has been made to replace it with a 16" 308. I've narrowed it down to 2 barrels..... a stainless Proof or a Rainier Arms Ultramatch. Initially, I was gonna buy the Proof as its 16", cut rifling, and intermediate gas. That was until I stumbled across the Rainier Arms barrel. The RA barrel is 16", button rifling, and rifle gas. The more I dig into the RA barrel, the more I'm leaning into it. The price and form factor of both barrels are close enough that either would fit the bill for me. Am I overthinking this, and just stick with the Proof barrel? Or does the rifle gas system of the RA barrel out weigh the name and cut rifling of the Proof barrel?...... and we don't need ask @padom, who makes or finishes the RA barrel.... :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Proof SS without question...

The fact that Craddock makes the Rainer Arms Ultramatch Barrels now doesn't mean shit, they don't shoot like a Craddock Bartlein barrels plain and simple.

The Proof SS will outperform the UM any day of the week. And they don't offer the .308 SS in a 16" anymore it's 18" with rifle length gas which will be better all around anyway.

This is from my SP10 with a Proof Research 24" 6.5CM CF Barrel..

It averaged Sub Half MOA during fucking load development..

IMG_20220826_122753859.jpg

Reactions: sethrrows
Can't speak to RA but both my Proof barrels will shoot .5-.7 5 shot groups consistently with a couple factory ammo options provided I don't fuck it up.

@bigjake83, I did managed to find a 16” Proof in stock. What is your preference to the Proof 18” over their 16” barrel? Is it strictly the gas system? I’ve had 16” and 18” barrels for my MWS, but the chrome lined mid length 16” wasn’t really a fair comparison to the SS 18”. Several industry dudes, who know more than myself, seem to land on either 16” or 20”.

What’s your take on Craddock’s Signature barrels? They’re Bartlein gain twists finished at 18” with a rifle length system?

@bigjake83, I did managed to find a 16” Proof in stock. What is your preference to the Proof 18” over their 16” barrel? Is it strictly the gas system? I’ve had 16” and 18” barrels for my MWS, but the chrome lined mid length 16” wasn’t really a fair comparison to the SS 18”. Several industry dudes, who know more than myself, seem to land on either 16” or 20”.

What’s your take on Craddock’s Signature barrels? They’re Bartlein gain twists finished at 18” with a rifle length system?
The 18" is going to give you more Muzzle Velocity and the RLG will provide a softer, smoother shooting system. The .308 was originally designed to be operated from a Rifle Length Gas System and it's at it's pinnacle of performance at 20"

As for Craddock signature barrels as far as I'm aware they are just the barrels he pushes out in large batches to have something in stock.

I'm sure they perform quite well but all my Craddock barrels have been custom designed orders so I have no first hand experience with his signature series.

Barrels are at the heart of a gas gun. I advise picking the barrel for the application / mission, and build out the gun around the barrel. A 416R Bartlein barrel is one of the best for long range accuracy. A Colt chrome lined barrel is one of the best for durability. Proof makes superior barrels, but not the best. If you want a lightweight barrel, that is where Proof shines. The Carbon wrapped barrel is designed for the hunter of the guy taking his rifle on a long hike.

Figure out what you want from your gun, and that will guide you in picking a barrel.

oh, and in my experience, Craddock is one of the better barrel smiths, but he is profiling someone else's blank. The blank and the barrelsmith, combined make the barrel.