• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 308 brass?

Marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
Michigan
I'm going to start reloading a little more seriously for my 308 and need to know which brass I should be looking for? I'm considering the Lake City once fired brass, but I'd be open to others. I'm trying to keep the cost somewhat reasonable, as I plan to pick up 500 pieces to use for competitions.

Re: Which 308 brass?

My honest answer is "whatever you can get your hands on"....seriously.

I've shot 10-round 40 cal bugholes @ 200 yards with IVI70 NATO brass, with essentially zero case prep.

Federal brass is usually easy to come by and works great.

Don't forget 1x NATO brass has a primer pocket crimp you've gotta swage out - which is a little annoying.

Lake City brass is a good place to start it is affordable and not bad brass. the newer brass I have some from 1993 has the same volume as my Winchester brass. a primer pocket swedging tool is required to reload the military (LC) brass RCBS has an affordable one but you can also ream the primer pocket to remove the primer crimp

I exclusively buy Winchester because of the price. The quality is good too. I have never used Lapua, but I have never had a "bad" piece of Winchester Brass. I'm on load #6 on some of my 308 rounds.

I found a source for LC 04 LR with no crimped primer holes for about $40 per 100. I'm think this might be the route to go.

I use Lapua because that's what the guy included when I bought my rifle from him. Its VERY consistant but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Win brass. I know a lot of guys using it and shooting much better than I do. Look for some once fired FGMM brass too. They all work fine.

I started with the FGMM once fired brass I had from before I started reloading, still working great after 5 reloadings. Recently purchased 500 pieces of Wincester for $159 from Cabella's w/ $5 shipping. Not sure that sale is still going on but worth checking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found a source for LC 04 LR with no crimped primer holes for about $40 per 100. I'm think this might be the route to go. </div></div>

New Winchester doesn't cost much more than that!

I'm getting Winchester here in CT for $20/50.

I've reused Federal GMM and Hornady match brass. Done 3 firings so far and no problems. Both work great. I have found no discernible difference between them.

Lake City often runs long and requires trimming to start, in my experience.

I use Lapua Palma, which has a small primer pocket. I think it makes a difference.

Ive got some nice groups with Win brass, but am working with Lapua to see if there's any difference.

I have a lot (50 count) of Win brass that has survived 33 reload cycles with 47.8 gr Varget pushing 155 Scenars without annealing (but with NO sizing regimen.)

Winchester is your best bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found a source for LC 04 LR with no crimped primer holes for about $40 per 100. I'm think this might be the route to go. </div></div>

I've seen 1X fired LC LR brass for 75 per 500 before so I would pass on that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found a source for LC 04 LR with no crimped primer holes for about $40 per 100. I'm think this might be the route to go. </div></div>

New Winchester doesn't cost much more than that! </div></div>

costs less actually...

I'm with turbo i honestly think it's hard to find bad brass for the .308. My friend and teacher runs winchester/remington in all his applications. I decided to try nosler since they were relatively new on the market, and i haven't been disappointed. They're damn near ready to go out of the box. Primer pockets are cut very clean. Don't expand very much upon firing also i'm on my 3rd firing without trimming on one set and my second on the other. They are however pricey (i believe more $ than Lapua) I hear lapua last longer also. But I can't account for that as i haven't gotten that far into these yet. From what i read Norma makes nosler brass.

I'd just suck it up and go with Lapua. It seems expensive now, but will save you money in the long run.

THere are those that will argue this point, but what ever you pick, pick one and stick with it. if you mix brass you will have (or at least I have) inconsistent results. I use lapua, Tried hornady, and LC, but nothing seems as consistent as the lapua

I bought a 1k of lapua several years ago and im in my 2nd firing now. The prices have risen since i bought it, but likes these guys say, it pays off in the long run. If you take care of your brass, in 308 with lapua, your looking at getting aroun 15 reloadings potentialy, thats about 2.5 barells and 15k rounds. thats a lot of shooting and that whole time you will have some of the best brass out there. Plus at 15 times, the price cost averages down nicely.

CJG

Lapua. In the long run it may turn out to be the cheaper choice actually. Right now Powder Valley has Lapua .308 brass listed at $64.53/100. If you do the math and get only 10 firings that works out to $6.45/100 or 6.5 cents a piece! That's just a conservative guess. If you're shooting a bolt gun and neck sizing and not running hot loads who knows how low you can get the average cost.

I was where you are right now. When I decided to get serious about shooting competition I asked other competitors what they used. I think you'll find what I did, Lapua brass is most often named. On sale they are about $65/100 and that's what I went with.

Is this for a bolt gun? If so, you won't beat up the brass and, with annealing, I figure a box or two will last plenty long enough to outweigh the additional cost.

heydavemd echoes exactly what I was told: pick one, stick with it.