• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which .308 Rifle and Suppressor

snatchmaster

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2011
Looking to purchase my first 308 black rifle that will be used almost solely with a suppressor. I have looked and looked and read and read about both; which suppressor and which rifle. I am leaning toward the PWS piston systems or a Larue OBR. It would need an adjustable gas block idea.

For suppressor it is between both AAC and Surefire, which model is irrelevent as of now because the rifle needs to come first.

Any input would be appreciated

Re: Which .308 Rifle and Suppressor

Very happy with my OBR. Easily sub-moa and i have had great success out to 1k yds. Have the Surefire can on order and cannot wait to get it. This is the configuration LaRue runs on their internal rifles, so i am excited to see the results.

Good luck with the decision!

I cannot speak for the PWS but I run a OBR and absolutely love the rifle. It shoots sub MOA all day and using it suppressed it is a dream also. I use a SureFire 762K on mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cannot speak for the PWS but I run a OBR and absolutely love the rifle. It shoots sub MOA all day and using it suppressed it is a dream also. I use a SureFire 762K on mine. </div></div>

Cannot wait to get my 762K. Hopefully you guys can crank them out soon!

The only issue with the PWS is, if i'm not mistaken there is no adjustable gas system. The only draw back with this is slower cycle rate when suppressed. Chances are its not significant enough to make much of a difference. I have yet to hear a negative experience with the PWS system.

Just my $.02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dsparil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought cycling was sped up with a suppressor on. </div></div>

It is because of the extra gas going through the gas tube.

OBR16EliteIron100yards-1.jpg

16" OBR Elite Iron Silenser, ACOG shooting 175 SMK's to 1K

All you need to know, and yes there is a gas switch on the OBR.

Appreciate the effort and time folks...

Just got the word from the wife to tap the brakes till we move from CO to NH.... Bummer! Well at least this will simmer the anticipation down...

Which suppressor and brake is optimal for the Larue OBR?

Thanks, Kyle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snatchmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which suppressor and brake is optimal for the Larue OBR?

Thanks, Kyle </div></div>

That is a very hard question to answer. QD suppressors use a mount that only can be used with whatever can you want to purchase. Like a SureFire can has to be mounted on a SureFire brake. A AAC can has to me mounted on a AAC brake, OPS Inc etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how do you get that tampon off the can to let it cool ? </div></div>

Not my stick or rag... one of the buddies I shoot with.
Rifle is awesome however.

In terms of the surefire brand is what I meant, sorry. I have decided that surefire is going to be my suppressor brand due to my experience with both there edged weapons and the half dozen flashlights I own. They make a seriously superior product in my eyes so why would the suppressor be any different. Nevermind the poi shift or lack there of that I have read everywhere. What is the model brake/flash hider and suppressor that would optimize the obr's performance. I'd prefer the brake because I have read that the brake baffle will sacrifice itself while the can is attached and thus allow the can to last longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snatchmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In terms of the surefire brand is what I meant, sorry. I have decided that surefire is going to be my suppressor brand due to my experience with both there edged weapons and the half dozen flashlights I own. They make a seriously superior product in my eyes so why would the suppressor be any different. Nevermind the poi shift or lack there of that I have read everywhere. What is the model brake/flash hider and suppressor that would optimize the obr's performance. I'd prefer the brake because I have read that the brake baffle will sacrifice itself while the can is attached and thus allow the can to last longer. </div></div>

I think you will be more than happy with either of the suppressors. That being said with the new locking ring being the same on both the FA762SS and the FA762K I would go with the FA762SS over the two. It seems to me in my experience that the FA762SS seems to have a smaller shift than the FA762K.

I have quite limited experience with the topic at hand, but here is my $0.02. I had the good fortune to be able to put some rounds through an OBR/Surefire combo at a precision rifle course I attended recently. I can't speak to the other options mentioned, but I can say that my experience with the OBR/Surefire 762K combo was great. Hits were made with relative ease at 955 yards, and the Surefire made the recoil almost non-existent. Pull the trigger 3 or 4 times in rapid succession, wait 1.5 to 2 seconds and listen to the "thwack, thwack, thwack" of rounds on steel. Addictive. It was enough to make me get the same setup for myself (except for the scope).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at POF. More accurate than larue. </div></div>
what???

I shoot a 20in lwrc repr withna sn-3 optic and Burris fast fire II in an offset mount....I strictly shoot suppressed....thunder beast 30p-1 and the package exceeded all my expectations.

My shorter range weapon is an armalite ar-10a2 with a trijicon reflex II sight mounted on it and free flotated barrel. I could shoot suppressed but DI carbines get dirty really quick when you shoot with a can.....it's worth it but it's a lot of cleaning.

Can't go wrong with a larue, pod, gap or pretty much any high end system. Just don't get cheap on optics that,s where I see people shortchanging the capabilities of their weapon systems. Example....don't buy a 3k weapon and put a $499 scope on it.

Good luck.

Hey Nitro is your stock a commercial venture? Im guessing yes since all 9 of your post feature it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Nitro is your stock a commercial venture? Im guessing yes since all 9 of your post feature it. </div></div>

Check his profile... is the ban hammer in order?

Thank you for your advice and time! Thanks to everyone for that matter.

Kyle

Thats a good looking rig.....it's kind of like a Socom but built with a different stock. You may want to offset that Aimpoint Micro and put a scope with at least 6-10x magnification on that rifle or your shortchanging the range of your weapon.

What do I know....you may shoot at 50 yards all day long. Just a thought.

Here's some pic's with the m14 rogue using a wind talker suppressor from SEI. and a shot group with 18" barrel/suppressed
IMG_5629.jpg
298196_10150318098284776_758674775_7789165_1093472065_n.jpg
299781_249623405076682_202193666486323_675366_1733583515_n.jpg
302533_251959414843081_202193666486323_681643_1382689857_n.jpg

J-Tac...thats one good looking setup bro.

I shoot a 20in LWRC REPR (short stroke gas piston) and only suppressed with a Thunderbeast 30P-1 all titanium can. Accurate out to 1000y and it takes about 5 minutes to clean the barrel....the action only needs to be wiped off once in a while. It's not a cheap setup but for a $3800 gas piston AR and a $1500 can you get accuracy and reliability that imo are the best out there.

I was in the gun store last week.......a guy came in and stroked a check for a Reaper $3,800, didn't even haggle. Nice Rifle, I'd like to test one out!

I actually had to answer almost the same exact question.

I chose a Rock River LAR-8 (predator HP). Mine will be chopped to 18" and threaded and I will be attaching a RSTA suppressor to it. <the RSTA was designed to suppress an AR10- that's why it is an over the barrel suppressor- reduced backpressure will help.

I chose to chop it to 18" and that reduces gas slightly which is offset by the addition of the suppressor. I also wanted a collapsible stock so I got a Slash heavy buffer custom made (I believe it's 6 ounces which should reduce bolt speed) details on the buffer are on my blog. The spring is stock Armalite AR 10 and the buffer will be stock Armalite AR10. The Rail Daniel Defense 12" lite rail RRA compatible. My magazines will be RRA factory 20 rd steel. I'm going to run a Crane stock on the gun.

<span style="font-weight: bold">My reasons for choosing RRA:
reputation for accuracy
7075-T6 uppers and lowers (not 55% weaker 6061 like DPMS and Bushmaster)
Low price
Good experiences with RRA in the past.
</span>

I had looked at the LMT MWS- it is AWESOME... except for the 1.5MOA accuracy people claimed to be experiencing, and the 16" std barrel. Deal breaker: $700 stainless barrel required for accurate work.

KAC SR25EX? Awesome gun, accurate, 16" barrel is shorter than I wanted to go, and the dealer price is still 25-50% high of reasonable.

AR10? <the Ar10 is not a bad offering. I don't like M14 mags. I think the SR25 mag is preferred, the Fal is probably more durable, and the M14 comes in about last. The Ar10 price tag is higher than RRA, but you do get greater compatibility and 7075-T6 upper/lower as far as I know.

Larue OBR? Nice rifle and I like Larue stuff, price was a bit out of reach and the RRA gun has a 1MOA accuracy guarantee. Larue doesn't and I saw end user reports of factory test targets greater than 1MOA.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Negative to RRA: 3-4 month backlog for guns.
frown.gif
</span>
Oh well. My RRA gun will be in finally in 3-4 weeks and I'll then ship the upper to ADCO for barrel threading.

I shoot a 16" POF suppressed all the time and couldn't be happier. A very accurate platform. Only changes I made were a PRS and a Giessele NM trigger. It is hard to beat a piston gun for shooting suppressed.

I tried out a Smith Ent. Inc....."Wind talker"........Does any one know how it stacks up against the other ones talked about here????

J-Tac,

Hard to compare a Fisher suppressor to others, being that it is on an M1a platform. The suppressor does a really good job on the M1a. I haven't seen another suppressor that is able to mount on an M1a besides the Fisher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snatchmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Appreciate the effort and time folks...

Just got the word from the wife to tap the brakes till we move from CO to NH.... Bummer! Well at least this will simmer the anticipation down... </div></div>

Where in NH are you going?

Palmic, I thought they mounted the fisher on ar-10s too............. I'm not sure....what db are considered good for a .308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">J-Tac,

Hard to compare a Fisher suppressor to others, being that it is on an M1a platform. The suppressor does a really good job on the M1a. I haven't seen another suppressor that is able to mount on an M1a besides the Fisher. </div></div>

If you are going to shoot suppressed, I would suggest going with a piston rifle like POF or LWRC because of significantly less fouling than DI.

my buddy has a Thunder trap.........I haven't used it yet, anyone care to comment on it? He claims it's the best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snatchmaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to purchase my first 308 black rifle that will be used almost solely with a suppressor. I have looked and looked and read and read about both; which suppressor and which rifle. I am leaning toward the PWS piston systems or a Larue OBR. It would need an adjustable gas block idea.

For suppressor it is between both AAC and Surefire, which model is irrelevent as of now because the rifle needs to come first.

Any input would be appreciated </div></div>

I think you're on the right track with the piston systems, although they can produce more sound due to where/how they vent, but clean up is much better.

"I had looked at the LMT MWS- it is AWESOME... except for the 1.5MOA accuracy people claimed to be experiencing, and the 16" std barrel. Deal breaker: $700 stainless barrel required for accurate work. "

I shoot .5-.6 MOA 5 shot groups out of my MWS 16" CL all day with Hornady 150g SST handloads. I couldn't be happier.

I'm leaning towards POF, but I like LaRue as it supports our local Austin economy. This has me really torn.

Is the fouling from shooting a DI gun suppressed just a cleaning problem or is it a reliability problem as well? I have to ask as I live in the Communist state of IL and even police can't have suppressors here.

I just got a Noveske N6, too soon to tell how it shoots.

Have you considered one of those?

Buy a piston gun that designs their guns from the ground up to be piston guns.....not some Adams arms conversion kit. I spent thousands on a mil spec lwwrc repr for their reputation and for quality. I know they hold military contacts.....and they have adjustable gas knobs for shooting suppressed.Pof, lwrc and others were built,on the short,stroke piston concept- they are just as good as long as they were designed and can proove that they were designed from the ground up to be a piston gun. If playing weekend warrior is your thing and you can afford a failure or two just get a conversion kit and save rhe cash. Otherwise, buy a true mi- spec piston gun from a company that designed it from itthe ground up,to shoot in any condition.....suppressed or not. Like most things, you get what you pay for in both accuracy and reliability.

Oh. Amd I shoot armalite ar-10a2 DI carbines and an lwrc 20in DMR rifle,that is short,stoke,piston and only shoot it suppressed.

Don't expect to pay 1k for a piston gun that you will plan on shooting suppresed and not have issues with it. Alot of engineering and quality control goes into building one of these rigs that is 100% reliable. Just my two cents....and I shoot both DI and piston.

I wouldn't worry about a di gun not working suppressed. I ran my 18 inch OBR with a SureFire 762K suppressor all day at the Larue range day. I had my gun shot from 10-5 with all sorts of dust blowing in it. I only had one failure to extract and it was because I forgot to put the gun on the unsuppressed setting after taking the suppressor off. I only lubed that gun once during the day and it was shot at least 60% off the time suppressed.

nice gun J-tac.

OP, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. One downside to piston is that your suppressor may take on more heat depending on how close the piston is to the suppressor.

Go with the LaRue OBR, its got an adjustable gas block for supprssed/unsuppressed, sub-moa accuracy, and a buddy of mine just went through a package with a borrowed one that had 3000 rounds through it, no cleaning and no malfunctions. As far as the suppressor IMHO go with the surefire.