• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Which 308 round for white tail

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I've got a brand new tikka 308 and with rifle season as close as it is... Im debating on what ammo to grab. I was going to load some of the 150gr SST's i have, but wont have much range time to work up a load. Figured i'd grab 2 boxes of factory, use 10-15 rounds to zero and get a velocity average and go from there.

Looking at Hornady American Whitetail 165 SP or Berger 168gr Classic hunter. Ive always had good accuracy using berger bullets, but for 100-300 yard shots, im sure either will do. The berger ammo is $8 more a box, not that it really matters..

Of the 2, which would you grab?

I shot a deer with that exact Hornady bullet. Passed all the way through and killed the deer, leaving decent holes through the lungs. I don’t have more info than that.

Pretty sure either will work fine on deer at those ranges. My fathers had good luck with the federal fusion out of his tikka as well.

Reactions: Charlie112
    I only mentioned those 2 because that’s what my local store has a bunch of. I may just grab the bergers, in case I have a chance at a longer shot.

Remington CorLok if you can find them.

I use reloads with Barnes TTSX 150g in the 308 and 3006 they both fun 2950fps with H4350 and drop deer in their tracks with high shoulder shots. so far this season with two bucks, my Barnes enter and don’t exit and explode the lungs and heart. Even had one buck cough out alf a lung. Used to use Hornady SSTs that had entry and exit holes and deer would run 40 to 70ish yards. Since switching to Barnes no more tracking required. This is on SC deer that range from 85 to 180 pounds. Similar results with my 260 REM using 120 grain TTSX.

Reactions: ManOnFire.308
    You said the Barnes don't exit? Interesting, you're the first person I've seen that reports recovering mono bullets on deer.

Reactions: Mudflap621
    Went with berger. I wish I’d had bought lapua brass for my 308 instead of alpha now, since the berger is loaded in lapua lol.

68CAB0F1-C6DE-4F96-BED7-C40B3FAFE264.jpeg
    2EA6EDF5-1A15-428A-9D53-8450EFF1B510.jpeg
    This is Hornady 168 ELDM (I know horrible match ammo) at around 350 yards, In an open wheat field. It’s a doe but it dressed around 100 pounds.

So I would use them again….

For Whitetail in NC any bullet will do if you hit where it matters.

That being said, I was absolutely floored by the accuracy of the Federal Premium 165gr Trophy Copper in 308. It is on par with, if not slightly better in some of my guns, than the 168gr FGMM. The solid copper bullet will also work well on anything else that roams this continent. It's a one and done solution if you need hunting ammo and don't have time for reloading something special.

Why not a heavier bullet for larger game? Because an expanding solid does not need much weight to guarantee deep penetration. As someone stated above, the last thing you have to worry about is an exit wound. I retrieved one Barnes expanding solid under the hide of a Whitetail but that was a 45 cal shot at a leisurely 2000 fps from a muzzleloader and flew about 180 yards before penetrating both shoulders (I hate to waste meat but the buck was close to the border and I had to anchor it).

Reactions: 308pirate
    The Hornady ELD-X shoot well in my .308 and have worked well on deer the last two years.
    This is what I use as well with 308. Have killed several deer with it. Shoots well in every gun I've ever seen. Also use the 200 grain version in 300 WSM for both deer and elk.

Reactions: Baron23
    Of those choices, the Berger. If nothing else for the Lapua brass.

I’m running the 168 AMAX this year. I’ve heard it’s good. We’ll see.

I’ve got 143 eldx for my 6.5 but I sold the bolt gun and don’t wanna tote the heavy ass 6.5 AR10 in the woods.
    I wish I’d have time to work up a load with the 150sst but I’m sure these bergers will put em down

I've never had one take one step from a 150grn Hornady SST. But plan on feeding one shoulder to the dogs.

I whacked a doe square in the head with an AMAX. She dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Shot another in the neck. Dropped lock a rock, then got up and Ran about thirty yards.

Next time I’m shooting them in the head.

• Sad
    I don't know nearly enough but I know when something works well. I find the heavier grains work better. My TC Compass II in .308 Win has a 1:12 twist and is 1/4 MOA with 165 and 168 grain rounds. So, the economical middle ground is Federal Fusion 165 grain. I am not worried about kinetic energy, just accuracy.

ANY bullet will work on a deer from a .308. Spending money on premium bullets like barnes,nosler, berger is a waste of money. Its a thin skined game animal . Any bullet from 125 -250 grains will kill a deer with a shot to the vitals. Save the expensive bullets for Big Game that require it (Bear, Elk, Moose, ect). Berger's target bullets are great deer medicine if you already have a good match load.

You’d be crazy not to use Federal Fusion 150 for white tail deers.
    Generally more accurate than the factory Barnes, extremely good penetration and expansion and affordable enough to practice with it.

You’d be crazy not to use Federal Fusion 150 for white tail deers.
    Generally more accurate than the factory Barnes, extremely good penetration and expansion and affordable enough to practice with it.
    I like the Federal Fusion 165 grain for the 1/4 MOA accuracy I have been achieving.

used to use the 178 ELD-X in a .308, switched to Federal Prem 175gr Terminal Ascent the last two seasons. Dead on the spot, damn near poured the deer out when dressing, minimal meat damage with soupy vitals.

I meant to add earlier that I like the accuracy of the Fusion rounds because hunting deer near or far, having the bullet hit where you aim is important. What I have noticed is that you don't have to have the heaviest bullet to Ben effective. Bullet placement, the objective of increasing accuracy, is key.

That being said, my Mossberg LR-308 Thunder Ranch (in Kuiu Camo) gets around 1/3 MOA with Federal Non-typical Whitetail in 180 gr. For me, the weight serves the accuracy. Aim small, miss small.

Last edited:
    used to use the 178 ELD-X in a .308
    I just bought some of these to try a heavier bullet. Did you load them or factory Hornady? I bought 178gr ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammo. My experiences with 150gr SST have been stellar in both factory ammo, and my attempts to replicate that loading (new Hornady cases with SST bullets)
    Just curious how they preformed and what prompted your switch?
    Thanks

I just bought some of these to try a heavier bullet. Did you load them or factory Hornady? I bought 178gr ELD-X Precision Hunter factory ammo. My experiences with 150gr SST have been stellar in both factory ammo, and my attempts to replicate that loading (new Hornady cases with SST bullets)
    Just curious how they preformed and what prompted your switch?
    Thanks
    my own loads, and they performed well, the main reason for the switch to TA was prompted by the ELD-X's being unavailable and being handed a box of them for an elk hunt. The BC difference, higher retained weight, and more reliable expansion at lower velocities prompted the switch. but for the most part they both behave in a very similar way

Reactions: BAMAboy18
    I'm a reloader, but I pop a 150g Barnes TSX bullet on max powder charge (thery're conservative) from Shooters World Tac powder. Out of a 20" barrel I get 3050 FPS, and the shot I made Saturday afternoon was absolutely devastating, with minimal meat loss. The deer ran maybe 20 yards and dropped.

Reactions: Ronws
    I'm a reloader, but I pop a 150g Barnes TSX bullet on max powder charge (thery're conservative) from Shooters World Tac powder. Out of a 20" barrel I get 3050 FPS, and the shot I made Saturday afternoon was absolutely devastating, with minimal meat loss. The deer ran maybe 20 yards and dropped.
    Definitely a valid pursuit. I like a few commercial loads and spend my time choosing the right scope for me. I know of another guy who tunes his set up by means of developing hand loads, mainly for his .270. It is for deer hunting and the.270 being a long action still has manageable recoil but the bullet and powder flexibility of .30-06
    Sprg. And he is not looking for the tightest group, just the most consistent. If he can depend on a solid 1 to 2 MOA at 100 yards, he will hit whatever he aims at.

Reactions: The Durk