• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .308 Shorty rifle

leclairk

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
I'm wanting to get a shorty .308 hunting rifle. These are some of the MUST have specs: 1) 20" or less barrel threaded barrel, preferably 18" and must be threaded because I plan to run a can. 2) 6.5lbs or less bare rifle. 3) 308 Win 4) Cost about $1500
I had my heart set on a Tikka T3X lite and having the barrel cut to 18" and be done. Tikkas just shoot. I've never seen one that doesn't. I called LRI and they advise against cutting and threading 30 cal pencil barrels. I know people do it but I trust LRI when they tell me they have seen problems. I also considered buy a Tikka action, buying a CarbonSix 18" barrel and figuring out a stock/chassis. Problem with that is that by the time I'm done I would be close to $2500. Kimber makes an ultralight with an 18" threaded barrel. Browning has an x-bolt speed with an 18" barrel. Savage makes an ultralight but it has a 22" barrel. What else is out there and what has been your experience with them.

Don’t know the seller but here’s a good option

I have a CTR its a medium ish profile that works well cut down. I cut the barrel down to 16 and just used the regular stock for a long time. I eventually went with a KRG Bravo but it was nice in the regular stock.

Don’t know the seller but here’s a good option

That’s mine. I’ve got plenty of good feedback.

Id just thread the factory Tikka barrel, in willing to be 1000s of 30cal Tikkas have been threaded around the world, some countries you can even get them factory threaded (and fluted).

Not to mention other factory rifles that are threaded with pencil thin barrels.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Maybe try and find one of the older Remington 700 5r Gen 1. Stainless barrel and action in a decent hs stock. They come in a 20 inch threaded model.

Cut the Tikka to 16.5” and thread.

Cost effective!

If it blows, get a prefit from PVA with a little more meat and open the barrel channel a bit, or wait for a deal on a used Bravo.

100% find a used tikka if you arent in a hurry.
I have bought 3 for $500 or less, 2 included loopy vx 2 scopes….

Reactions: el-rey

Cost effective!

If it blows, get a prefit from PVA with a little more meat and open the barrel channel a bit, or wait for a deal on a used Bravo.

I cut my CTR to 16.1 and it’s awesome.

yjzdwAc.jpg

Trust me, I saw the Tikka for sale. Problem is that rifle will be well north of 7lbs.

Bartlein recommends a minimum medium palma contour if you plan to use a suppressor. You can probably get away with a narrower contour on a short barrel. Their recommendation will affect your rifle weight.

I use a suppressor on a #2 barrel. No issues. I've also free floated pencil barrels. A lot of companies will give themselves a wide margin of safety.

Reactions: Whhood
I did this. Mine is 18”.

Cost effective!

Last edited:
Reactions: el-rey
McMillan Alias STAR rifle
18" barrel, takes AR10 magazines and is fully adjustable.
The balance is awesome and the 18" barrel still gets me 2650fps with 168gr ELDMs
I have an AWC brake on it now, but you guys in freedom land can put on a suppressor

Attachments

• moo.jpg
    moo.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 140
I sure do like my Tikka CTR in a McMillan A3 Carbon Edge. It is a very handy rifle. It is heavier than 6.5# bare though. It strikes a nice balance for me. It is a relatively lightweight precision hunter that can still be enjoyable to shoot 75 rounds at the range. I have not fluted my barrel but that would drop a little more weight. Adding a Carbon barrel would likely get you close to your weight goal but at increased cost.

I have a CTR its a medium ish profile that works well cut down. I cut the barrel down to 16 and just used the regular stock for a long time. I eventually went with a KRG Bravo but it was nice in the regular stock.
I’m thinking about getting a CTR and chopping to 16.5. Care to post a pic? Recoil, muzzle blast, favorite loads? Thanks!

I’m thinking about getting a CTR and chopping to 16.5. Care to post a pic? Recoil, muzzle blast, favorite loads? Thanks!
Mine basically looks like that. I use a thunder beast Ultra 7 so recoil and muzzle blast are not an issue. I just feed it whatever factory ammo I can find. It even shoots the cheap S&B at about .5 to .75

Just bought a 16” Christensen Arms MPR .308 Win tonight. It’s setup in a temporary optics configuration until my new Kahles K624i RSW CCW SKMR4 Scope shows up to go on top.

Currently put my spare new PA SLx 1-10x28 ACSS Griffin M10S on it, in a set of 34mm Seekins rings.

97842396-6CD7-4A63-8C65-C821F3826EC6.jpeg
F50733A9-471F-448F-B128-11B45DBA05AE.jpeg
DE3607FB-1164-4052-8D07-89267DE466AC.jpeg
A6D66664-2CE0-434B-BD7C-FC78CBF900A4.jpeg
5FF33E67-162A-4C09-A75A-E1549506C4E5.jpeg
2CD0C454-239F-4D6D-BA09-7C37F82C4A9D.jpeg