• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .308: Tikka CTR, Rem 700 SPS Tac or Savage10

blfuller

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Northeast Washington State
Looking at getting a compact tactical rifle. I've narrowed it down to the following 3...
Tikka T3 Scout CTR
Remington 700 SPS Tactical
Savage model 10 Precision Carbine.

All have a 20" barrel and are .308. I can't find much on the Tikka but plenty on the Savage and Remington. Any input? Thanks

Re: Which .308: Tikka CTR, Rem 700 SPS Tac or Savage10

Vote: 1) Savage 2) Remington 3) Tikka

For a stock rifle I personally would prefer the Savage, very accurate and the Accutrigger is nice. The aftermarket is catching up for Savages.

The Remington has more aftermarket support. If you wanna add more stuff with the rifle then the Remmy might be better.

I can't comment on the Tikka.

Both the savage and the sps tactical have a reputation for being pretty accurate out of the box. Way more aftermarket parts and accessories for the remington and savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dimar1492</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both the savage and the sps tactical have a reputation for being pretty accurate out of the box. Way more aftermarket parts and accessories for the remington and savage. </div></div>

Hmmm... before you let the guy's who DON"T own Tikka's give you advice, you should check out this thread.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1323704

There are an ever increasing number of reputable suppliers providing stocks, bolt shrouds, rails, DBM, triggers, barrels, muzzle brakes and more for the Tikka. It's a great rifle to start, being lighter than both the Saavage and the Remington and it's so straight out of the box, most do not require action work.

John

As much as I love my Savage the Tikkas are fine rifles, you cannot go wrong with either and if Remmy could get their quality control under control then they would be a good choice too. I've seen a factory PSS in competent hand lay 3 rounds on top of each other at 100 yards and I've seen the same shooter with a different factory PSS that made 3 round groups that could not be covered with a half dollar.

Re: Which .308: Tikka CTR, Rem 700 SPS Tac or Sava

1. Tikka buy it and shoot it. You will be happy.

2. Remington it may shoot, if it doesn't easy to work on and a bunch of parts available.

3. Savage They usually shoot, but I can't warm up to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHWILL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3. Savage They usually shoot, but I can't warm up to them. </div></div>

Get on interstate 40 and dive west for 1100 miles and I will let you drive my Savage .308 with a 20" barrel, I'll bet a box of handloads that it will be love at first group.

i've a t3 tactical (tikka) and my last performance was 0,35 MOA (5 rnds) at 100 mt ... is a great rifle in my opinion (same barrel of TRG22 ).. good choice!
wink.gif

Thanks for the input guys. Regarding the scope mounting rail, is there any issues with ejection problems with a one piece?

Not to start a pissing match. Savage works...but not for me. I have driven enough of them to know.

I have 1 SPS Tactical a .223, it's a sub-MOA rifle, with quality ammo or handloads(likes 68 gr and heavier)changed the stock to a B&C lite-Tactical. That said, I JUST got home about 15 minutes ago with another SPS Tactical, this time a 700 AAC-SD, in .308.
I will be changing the stock(Got a used H-S PSS on the way)I'll let you know in the next couple of weeks how it does. I have an ample supply of Black Hills 175gr to try in it.I have had pretty good luck with Remington. Hard habit to break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1000yard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 1 SPS Tactical a .223, it's a sub-MOA rifle, with quality ammo or handloads(likes 68 gr and heavier) </div></div>

I had a great day out with mine as well, even with 55gn factory ammo.

I'm waiting for the Tikka T3 Tac to arrive and came to that decision from so many people saying it's an out of the box shooter...we'll see. Think you have to decide how much work you want to put in a rifle.

Got my 308 at Hyatt http://www.hyattgunstore.com/Tikka-T3-Ta...-20-Barrel.html

Sending you the link as it was the cheapest I've seen new. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I'm not very familiar with the Tikka, but between the Rem 700SPS Tactical and the Savage Precision Carbine, my vote would be the Savage.
Reason: Savage seems to have a reputation for better out-of-the-box accuracy. Also from a cost standpoint, If you go with the Reminton SPS Tactical, You will most likely need to factor in a stock replacement as the shortcomings of the Hogue stock are widely known. The Savage comes with their Accu-stock, which is by no means ideal, but has an aluminum bedding block tha runs through the fore-end to the sling swivel, and is much more stable than the Hogue. Finally, the savage is a 1-10 twist as opposed to the 1-12 of the Remington, which is an added advantage, particularly with a shorter bareled rifle.
I am certainly not knocking the Remington SPS,I myself just picked one up, but IMO, considering what you pay for what you get, the Savage is the better rifle.