• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 308 upper and lower receivers are best quality for the buck?

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I have a lightly used Fulton/Criterion 18.5" barrel and Troy 13.8 MRF quad rail. I have a MP UBR stock, JP LMOS BCG, Giesselle trigger and Superlative Adj gas block. My plan was to take my DPMS LR-308 upper and lower receivers to complete this build. However, now I'm thinking it might be better to sell the LR-308 as complete rifle, since it in excellent condition and that way I don't end up with a bunch of spare parts laying around. Then I would instead buy a new upper and lower receiver. Given the parts I have on hand, what would you suggest?

I've been looking at MA TEN matched billet sets, JP upper/lower sets, Fulton Armory matched side charger sets, but maybe a cheaper forged lower, like Aero Precision is money better spent? I do handload and would like to get a consistent 3/4 MOA load for this rifle, if possible.

I was talking about the same thing with a friend who worked a gun shop. He was saying Aero’s quality control is hit or miss when it comes to their machining. I have no personal experience, but I trust my buddy’s experience.

Have you considered a Seekins receiver set?

I was talking about the same thing with a friend who worked a gun shop. He was saying Aero’s quality control is hit or miss when it comes to their machining. I have no personal experience, but I trust my buddy’s experience.

No. I've heard of Seekins and know they are generally well regarded. This is why I posted my question. There are a number of optiońs, so I'm looking for advice from people who have built and had success making a solid sub-MOA rifle. Given the components I have so far, I'm not looking to spend a ton to complete this build, but I'm not looking for cheap either. What gets the job done for a solid sub-MOA 308?

P.S. - I saw a MA TEN billet matched set on sale for $500.

Last edited:
Reactions: TACC
No. I've heard of Seekins and know they are generally well regarded. This is why I posted my question. There are a number of optiońs, so I'm looking for advice from people who have built and had success making a solid sub-MOA rifle. Given the components I have so far, I'm not looking to spend a ton to complete this build, but I'm not looking for cheap either. What gets the job done for a solid sub-MOA 308?

P.S. - I saw a MA TEN billet matched set on sale for $500.

The Maten is solid. And, they are not being made anymore. If I were starting from scratch, and was not trying to build a military clone, the Maten or Seekins would probably be my choice. But, you can find a number of good choices out there. Armalite, Stag, both make solid receivers. Put your money in the barrel and scope. A good matched set upper and lower will be good enough.

Reactions: blue_ridge
If you can still find a Mega Arms Maten set I'd say they're probably the best or amongst the best reciever sets ever produced. Tolerances are very exact, the anodizing is the best I've ever seen, the machining is flawless and is something to admire. When I first recieved my set the upper/lower fit was so tight I had to spend a couple hours opening and closing the upper onto the lower just to get the two to wear a bit so I could open and close them more easily. Now the upper/lower fit is perfect and is tight as shit. When I installed my barrel the fit was so tight I had to put the break on the barrel and tap the break with a rubber mallot just to get the barrel extension to completely seat. I built 3 rifles on Mega sets and I'm damn glad I did I enjoy them all immensely and the high level of quality of the sets are a large part of the reason why.

Mega Maten are great. I have a set with the monolithic upper and it is by far my favorite receiver set. JSE surplus still had some in stock fairly recently. For what it's worth, i talked to a Zev rep, and he said they had plans to bring them back under the Zev brand if/when the AR market picked back up.

If you can still find a Mega Arms Maten set I'd say they're probably the best or amongst the best reciever sets ever produced. Tolerances are very exact, the anodizing is the best I've ever seen, the machining is flawless and is something to admire. When I first recieved my set the upper/lower fit was so tight I had to spend a couple hours opening and closing the upper onto the lower just to get the two to wear a bit so I could open and close them more easily. Now the upper/lower fit is perfect and is tight as shit. When I installed my barrel the fit was so tight I had to put the break on the barrel and tap the break with a rubber mallot just to get the barrel extension to completely seat. I built 3 rifles on Mega sets and I'm damn glad I did I enjoy them all immensely and the high level of quality of the sets are a large part of the reason why.

My experience has been the same with Aero. Used to use them exclusively for years but then issues I've had with their 308 sets and handguards I stay away now.

The Seekins 308 builder set is top notch but you'll have to get their SP3R handguard for it.

Reactions: longshot2000
Please do so Pusher, I have been looking at them also. Most of all, two areas I am wanting to know is upper and lower fitment and is there any slop. Also barrel extension fitment into the upper, is it tight or loose.

SLR says their B30 upper has a "high top rail height". Guessing this means it is compatible with DPMS high stuff. Not what I want though.

SLR sets are great. I just built a gun off of them, the fit between upper and lower was perfect, zero "slop" or movement between them. I would highly recommend them.

@blue_ridge Is there a particular reason why you don't want the DPMS high style? Most manufacturers make that style handguard. And aesthetically you're looking at a difference of 0.06", it's not noticeable. IMO whether it is high or low should be the least of your concerns when buying a receiver.

Last edited:

I can confirm that Aero has a quality control issue. I just sent back a 308 build because the bolt had a head space issue. They do have great customer service but I ended up buying a Seekins SP10 . Its total quality so it well worth it

Reactions: shax2lex
Centurion arms has started selling billet sets. Rainier arms has Centurion 12” rails on sale for $129 I think.

Yea I still cant understand why they killed off Mega they made top notch 308 parts. I am building an AR308 build right now and I went with the Stag 10 receiver set. I've been impressed with my receiver set so far, not one issue. It did ship without the push pins and they sent me 2 sets for free within a week. So i purchased another set so i can have 2 rifles with interchangeable uppers. The Stag 10 does use the KAC/SR25 slant cut receiver, which I prefer. Same cut as Armalite AR10. Also Larue makes a really nice 308 receiver set. Which is slant cut style also, which is why I went with Stag because I can mount a LaRue upper down the road. Here's my first Stag 10 set as is. Still waiting on the barrel and BCG. Gonna go with a FA Criterion M110 barrel and a Toolcraft dual ejector BCG. The other receiver set will be built into a 6CM but that's still a ways off. Gotta get this 308 running first.
20181116_184427.jpg

Here's the Larue 308 lower: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-billet-lowers/
I'm really trying to talk myself out of picking up one of these and one of their UU Upper groups. Their UU uppers are priced really decent. I have never owned a Larue product I was disappointed with.

Larue has 308 uppers to fit your DPMS style lower or the Armalite style. Their lower is the Armalite style.

So what am I missing about this? You buy their lower $300 and their Ultimate 762 upper for about $1200. Isn't $1500 a rockin deal for a Larue? But their complete rifles are over $3000.

Edit: found this thread which seems to cover most of my questions on the Larue upper kits

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/larue-kits.6837214/

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/larue-large-frame-upper-kits-lowers.6627705/

Last edited:
Please do so Pusher, I have been looking at them also. Most of all, two areas I am wanting to know is upper and lower fitment and is there any slop. Also barrel extension fitment into the upper, is it tight or loose.

I received my SLR 308 Upper/Lower today as well as the handguard and BCG. Ordered a gas black and charging handle through them as well. It’s not together yet as Craddock is still turning a barrel for me but just initial fitment to each other and finish is just remarkable. I’m kind of hard to impress and like the finer things. I expect high quality when I order high quality stuff and their stuff is legit. The machining and the finish is some of the best I’ve seen. Their BCG’s are extremely nice as well. Properly staked and the finish on them is top of the line too. Curious myself to see how true the face of the upper is as well as the extension to upper receiver fit. I’ll know in a few weeks and update.

Just an update, I received my Craddock barrel today (it’s super nice btw and excellent machining) and it fits the SLR perfect. The fit isn’t so tight that I had to do the heating/cooling method but it was tight enough it took a few taps with a rubber mallet to seat it into the upper. VERY pleased with the fit to this upper, no doubt geared toward precision.

Glad I saw this, I had been under the impression that Aero M5 stuff was a safe bet for the price. Curious what kind of problems people have had with their M5 sets?

Glad I saw this, I had been under the impression that Aero M5 stuff was a safe bet for the price. Curious what kind of problems people have had with their M5 sets?

Miss milled magwell. Mags just falling out...Horrible customer service that lost my lower for 4 months, gave every excuse in the book till I finally got a manager who told me the guy receiving everything left the company, had no logging system, they had no idea what parts belonged to who and just sent me a new lower. Another similar experience with a handguard. Never again..

I’ve used several Aero Precision receiver sets and never had an issue with any of them. Customer service is great as well

I’ve used several Aero Precision receiver sets and never had an issue with any of them. Customer service is great as well

Several M5 308 receiver sets? How big is your sample size? There are various threads with people having issues with their M5 308 receiver sets, myself included. We arent talking AR15 here.

Let me correct, my mistake. I’ve used several AP sets, but only one M5 set. None of them have ever had an issue. I’ve never had any issues with their customer service, but that was more in simply asking questions than anything else. My fault for the lack of clarification.

Let me correct, my mistake. I’ve used several AP sets, but only one M5 set. None of them have ever had an issue. I’ve never had any issues with their customer service, but that was more in simply asking questions than anything else. My fault for the lack of clarification.

I built up one if their M4E1 uppers into a nice shooting .233 Wylde, thats kind of what led me to think they might be a decent place to start for a Creedmoor build as well. I reckon I'll check out some of the other manufacturers mentioned better instead.

Damn good looking set up Pusher. Is it 308? 20"? I'm just guessing from the pics.
Also what charging handle is that? Looks an AX? I'm putting my 308 together slowly but surely just trying to narrow down my small items.

Damn good looking set up Pusher. Is it 308? 20"? I'm just guessing from the pics.
Also what charging handle is that? Looks an AX? I'm putting my 308 together slowly but surely just trying to narrow down my small items.

It’s a 6.5 Creedmoor and the charging handle is a Radian Raptor branded for SLR.

Centurion arms has started selling billet sets. Rainier arms has Centurion 12” rails on sale for $129 I think.
I bought one of their SR25 compatible paperweights, I mean receiver sets. Hopefully they figured out the specs on the sets they have in stock now. Mine was awful but according to them it was all in spec. They just chalked it up to "tolerance stacking". Maybe they got Hellen Stevie Wonder Keller doing their measurements.

I recently did an SLR build during their 4th of July builders set sale. Quality is definitely there and the guys they use for their cerakotes are incredibly talented. With that said, two things stuck out to me that weren't deal breakers, but are noticable.

(1) Barrel isn't centered in handguard, even after face truing. Could be different cause, outside of the upper.
(2) Tiny bit of slop in receiver fit. Fixed with different takedown pins. The Noveske, Mega, 2A, etc.... builds I've done had zero.

That said, overall good quality.

(1) Barrel isn't centered in handguard, even after face truing. Could be different cause, outside of the upper.
(2) Tiny bit of slop in receiver fit. Fixed with different takedown pins. The Noveske, Mega, 2A, etc.... builds I've done had zero.

I have 2 rifles built from SLR receivers and haven't noticed either of those issues. But just FYI, there is a set screw in the lower, behind the grip screw, to put tension on the upper to remove any play that there may be between the upper and lower.

I have 2 rifles built from SLR receivers and haven't noticed either of those issues. But just FYI, there is a set screw in the lower, behind the grip screw, to put tension on the upper to remove any play that there may be between the upper and lower.

Exactly - I have no doubt that I have the anomaly, but also, probably have a more critical eye than most buyers. With all that said, I'd buy the receiver combo/handguard over again in a heartbeat. Quality is top notch.

I probably prefer it second, right behind the the MUR/Gen II Noveskes. They're tanks, with the weight to go along with that status. The new Zev/Megas are also very nice, but I prefer the ambi controls on the SLR sets.

Last edited: