• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which .50 BMG? Semi or bolt?

I'd agree with you to some point but the US is full of different terrain and I could see a 50 bmg being great in certain areas ...NYC? Nope 200 acre property with a good vantage point? Yes. My opinion on .22 is that they are are not the most efficient. Semi autos more likely to jam, not as effective ballistically/ going though objects or cover. Center fire cartage>rimfire

Let’s them buy all they want.

We’ve all done it.

The first time they walk from the car to the bench then go back for a full can of ammo we’ll see it for sale 2/3 the price of new.

All joking aside.

Fun for 6months unless you get into reloading and possibly competing with it.

Other than that buy the ever so popular 6.5 creed.

you will make more hits from 100 - 1200 yards guaranteed.

Hi,

Well the OP is banned so some of you are talking to a ghost, lol...

Now onto the penetration BS conversations that BMG always brings up, lolol.....
UNLESS you are shooting Raufoss or one of the other "payloaded" ammo then the penetration with normal and even standard AP rounds of the 50BMG are definitely NOT what the internet makes it to be.

There are 2 things that cause great penetration:
1. SPEED, speed kills :)
2. Detonation, RTX or similar.

BMG.PNG

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Well the OP is banned so some of you are talking to a ghost, lol...

Now onto the penetration BS conversations that BMG always brings up, lolol.....
UNLESS you are shooting Raufoss or one of the other "payloaded" ammo then the penetration with normal and even standard AP rounds of the 50BMG are definitely NOT what the internet makes it to be.

There are 2 things that cause great penetration:
1. SPEED, speed kills :)
2. Detonation, RTX or similar.

View attachment 7409984

Sincerely,
Theis
What armored vehicles will black tip bmg penetrate?

While I have five Barrett rifles, my 50 is a bolt action from the late EDM Arms. It makes for a great range day but would be your last choice in a SHTF scenario. Look at the bright side, with in about a mile of leaving your house, you will either drop it and go back to the house and make a better selection or someone else will shoot you and put you out of your misery as you drag your rifle down the street while pushing your wheelbarrow that holds the rest of your kit.

Why are several semi-auto Barrett's set up with a hi-power scope, if the rifle is not all that effective past 1000 meters with off the shelf ball ammo. With XM33 ball ammo the semi-auto fifty thrives as a mid-range AMR. The intelligentsia claims typical 3-4moa results with ball ammo. If this is the case why do you need a big scope with zoom feature, to 25x ?

With AMR use I 'assume' it is better to have lower power (Hello Trijicon MGRS with magnifier) with an easy to get behind eye-box, eye relief, and field of view. In addition the item on the receiving end should be large in size.

Reactions: deersniper
Why are several semi-auto Barrett's set up with a hi-power scope, if the rifle is not all that effective past 1000 meters with off the shelf ball ammo. With XM33 ball ammo the semi-auto fifty thrives as a mid-range AMR. The intelligentsia claims typical 3-4moa results with ball ammo. If this is the case why do you need a big scope with zoom feature, to 25x ?

With AMR use I 'assume' it is better to have lower power (Hello Trijicon MGRS with magnifier) with an easy to get behind eye-box, eye relief, and field of view. In addition the item on the receiving end should be large in size.

I use a fixed power 10x scope. No need for anything else in my situation.

Reactions: ralfabco
After owning a Cadex Gaurdian Lite in 6.5CM for a bit, I would take a hard look at their Tremor .50 bolt action. Given the recoil of the .50 I don't see the benefit of semi over bolt for speed of follow up shots.

My M107A1 CQ is my bedside, bump-in-the-night, home defense gun. The EOTech EXPS3 was intended specifically for the M107A1.

Notice the factory-installed flip-up BUIS that perfectly co-witness with the EXPS.

759AF53C-A5D5-4300-A22E-55F00464F9C5.jpeg

And as far as semi vs bolt, puleeez. Who in their right mind would use a bolt gun for home defense? Bolt guns are for little girls afraid of freedom.