• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which 6mm for gas PRS?

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
Should I build a 6cm, 6gt, or a 6 ARC? Want to put something together to go shoot gas gun matches with my buddy. Not really worried about cost or barrel life. Just want to build a race car of a gun.

Should I build a 6cm, 6gt, or a 6 ARC? Want to put something together to go shoot gas gun matches with my buddy. Not really worried about cost or barrel life. Just want to build a race car of a gun.
Where do you live and how serious are you about winning? I ask because I love the 6arc, but I just don't think you're going to make an ar15 work very well in prs. You just don't have the weight and the arc in a gas gun is limited by pressure, so you'll have to go ar10. If you're going to shoot ar10, I'd shoot 6gt, unless you want to buy a seekins or a gap rig ready to shoot. They have 6cm rifles in circulation. (There may be some production 6gt ar's out there by now, but I don't think I've seen one yet). I've been playing with a 6cm ar10 for a few years, and it it just picky. In fact, I'd probably just shoot 6.5cm. For whatever reason, an ar10 seems to handle the 6.5cm like a dream.

6 ARC and its not really close. You can run a small frame AR, have MUCH more options from frames to rails to gas system tuning (Adjustable Gas block, Adjustable carrier, Carrier weight systems, ect).

You can add weight, in fact I shot with a guy today who had a custom weight arca rail and a ACC Elite style stock on his gasser.

Yes you will have to run lighter, but you also won't have a massive bolt carrier slamming back and forth, fucking up your sight picture and gun coming back down to NPA. You can find ways to add weight to get it to balance out nice, And don't need to run a 25lb gun.

6 Creed will work but can be finicky to load for if you don't want to run it at the upper end of the spectrum (3K plus). 6 GT can work, but you will have to work hard to get it to run with limit parts options.

Gas gun division is such a small, non competitive division anyway in PRS. There are a ton of gas gun matches where a setup in 6 ARC would really shine, but it also depends on the match an rules. If the targets are huge and pretty close in, .223 will be much more economical to shoot.

Where do you live and how serious are you about winning? I ask because I love the 6arc, but I just don't think you're going to make an ar15 work very well in prs. You just don't have the weight and the arc in a gas gun is limited by pressure, so you'll have to go ar10. If you're going to shoot ar10, I'd shoot 6gt, unless you want to buy a seekins or a gap rig ready to shoot. They have 6cm rifles in circulation. (There may be some production 6gt ar's out there by now, but I don't think I've seen one yet). I've been playing with a 6cm ar10 for a few years, and it it just picky. In fact, I'd probably just shoot 6.5cm. For whatever reason, an ar10 seems to handle the 6.5cm like a dream.
I have a seekins build kit to work off of, and a seekins small frame upper and handguard so it’s really all about caliber and barrel choice at this point.

Other than 2&3 gun matches what matches are out there for ar's ?

6 creed, 6x47 and 6 gt are the only choices in my book. 6 arc just doesnt have the horse power. I was getting 2550 with 108 elds and varget and a 24in barrel. Sure you can run cfe or something else, but its way easier, the brass options are better if you move to a large frame. The only real reason to shoot 6 arc is if you wanted to shoot affordable factory ammo. Factory 108s did 2650 or so from the same barrel.

Im currently working on getting my 6gt setup. I was shooting 22 creedmoor before that.

6 creed, 6x47 and 6 gt are the only choices in my book. 6 arc just doesnt have the horse power. I was getting 2550 with 108 elds and varget and a 24in barrel. Sure you can run cfe or something else, but its way easier, the brass options are better if you move to a large frame. The only real reason to shoot 6 arc is if you wanted to shoot affordable factory ammo. Factory 108s did 2650 or so from the same barrel.

Im currently working on getting my 6gt setup. I was shooting 22 creedmoor before that.
The big question is how does it feed?

The big question is how does it feed?
My 22cm fed really well and was surprisingly reliable. I picked too fast of a twist rate though and was blowing up bullets for a while. 2 guys local to me, who are very high level shooters, both have had really good results with 6gt large frame guns.

2 other guys that also shoot at my club have had issues with 6cm x-caliber barrels. They feed fine, but they have had issues with the bullet getting stuck in the barrel on extraction. I personally think its a neck tension or seating issue, but they assure me that it is not. Your milage may vary.

I have seen 3 6mm arcs at competition and all have given guys a ton of fits, myself included. I think this is mostly due to trying to get too much speed from a tiny little case. One dude I know blew up a bolt in the middle of a two day PRS match.

The bottom line is that you should prepare yourself for a little nonsense when building up, or even when buying, a precision gasser.

My 22cm fed really well and was surprisingly reliable. I picked too fast of a twist rate though and was blowing up bullets for a while. 2 guys local to me, who are very high level shooters, both have had really good results with 6gt large frame guns.

2 other guys that also shoot at my club have had issues with 6cm x-caliber barrels. They feed fine, but they have had issues with the bullet getting stuck in the barrel on extraction. I personally think its a neck tension or seating issue, but they assure me that it is not. Your milage may vary.

I have seen 3 6mm arcs at competition and all have given guys a ton of fits, myself included. I think this is mostly due to trying to get too much speed from a tiny little case. One dude I know blew up a bolt in the middle of a two day PRS match.

The bottom line is that you should prepare yourself for a little nonsense when building up, or even when buying, a precision gasser.
I've shot 3 prs matches with gassers. One with a 6arc and 2 with 6.5cm. I have 2 6cm ar-10 rifles, and I'd suggest anyone go either 6gt or 6.5cm, but if you really want your gun to feed and cycle reliably, it's hard to beat 6.5cm shooting 140's.

I've shot 3 prs matches with gassers. One with a 6arc and 2 with 6.5cm. I have 2 6cm ar-10 rifles, and I'd suggest anyone go either 6gt or 6.5cm, but if you really want your gun to feed and cycle reliably, it's hard to beat 6.5cm shooting 140's.
Agreed. I dont hear anyone complaining about there 6.5 gassers here. Mcgowen is now even offering cut rifled 6.5 barrels, id like to give one of those a try.

Plenty of opinions for sure. I own gassers in 6 ARC, 6GT and 6.5 Creedmoor and have shot all in PRS. Thus far the ARC is my favorite, especially when distances are 700 and under. Mild recoil and external ballistics with a 107 SMK @ 2730 fps is effectively identical as the 6.5 CM shooting 140 ELD at 2700, out to about 700 for both drop and wind drift. The 6GT does a little better in wind and drop due to higher speed. The GT shoots factory 109 Hornady @2825 fps. All 3 rifles have 22" barrels. Recoil on the GT is a little more than the ARC, but still easy to spot impacts/misses compared to the 6.5 CM.

I have zero issues with the ARC when it comes to feeding reliably.....it's a pleasure to shoot. I've had a little trouble with the GT occasionally breaking off the plastic tip on the ELD, but I have less than 300 rounds thru that rifle thus far. The 6.5 CM runs nearly flawless.

A 6br is just a beautiful thing and mine feeds fine out of a mdt mag in a impact / acc. Will always own a 6br, just something about this cartridge I can’t explain.

There was a guy who used a tuned JP larger frame in .243 Winchester at Steel Safari in 2016.

If I remember correctly, I think he placed 6th overall. The top competitive shooters were all shooting 6 Dasher/6mm something, with a few shooting 6.5CM and .260 Rem.

I took my 17.6” Grendel through West Canyon (where I was RO’ing) and could hear my hits as well or better than any of the 6mms, which were all using 22-25” barrels mostly.

If you use the JP formula for a gas gun, you can be competitive at a match shooting something smaller than .308 Win. If you train with it a lot in similar conditions to the match, on the same size targets and build confidence, with top-end stage management skills, you could even place in the top 3 against bolt gunners if one of them has a worse day than usual

Reactions: FWoo45

Lolol that blown bolt was me! You are spot on, I was .3 grains of powder above max and had about 400 rounds on that bolt, it was hot out, and I was running the gun hard at the end of day 2. I sheared two lugs off it. Luckily another shooter had his Seekins 6 Arc upper in the car and I swapped bolts and finished the day. I have since toned down my load and haven’t had a problem like that after 1000 rnds.

My rifle is all JP expect for the barrel and they were gracious enough to supply me with a free replacement bolt.

When the gun runs it is something special, especially within about 800 yds. Beyond that it gets tricky. But I can make impacts at 1300-1400 yds with a bit of luck.

If I knew it would run perfectly, I would try 6 GT. Problem with Gassers is perfect is a moving target. 6 ARC is gaining traction and support with better brass producers (Starline and Peterson) and I think it has more potential to be swueezed out of it before I make a switch.

Attachments

• IMG_7936.jpeg
    IMG_7936.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 80
what do you have against carbon fiber wrapped barrels?
Carbon wrapped barrels are fine. But the trend in PRS, driven by the course of fire, is heavier weight rifles (20 lb +) shooting low recoiling cartridges. You can get more barrel (performance + weight) for less money with an all steel barrel. Paying a premium for a carbon wrapped barrel, then paying more for weights to increase the mass and balance of the rifle is just added expense for less performance.

Reactions: river22
Carbon wrapped barrels are fine. But the trend in PRS, driven by the course of fire, is heavier weight rifles (20 lb +) shooting low recoiling cartridges. You can get more barrel (performance + weight) for less money with an all steel barrel. Paying a premium for a carbon wrapped barrel, then paying more for weights to increase the mass and balance of the rifle is just added expense for less performance.
i have had good luck with the carbon barrels with added external weights. If it a good barrel there is no impact shift during fire. I think 15 rounds was the most i had to shoot at a stage for all of the PRS matches i have done. that picture is my AI atx in 6.5 that's my bolt gun that is a steel barrel.

Attachments

• AI-ATX 6.5.jpg
    AI-ATX 6.5.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 69
i have had good luck with the carbon barrels with added external weights. If it a good barrel there is no impact shift during fire. I think 15 rounds was the most i had to shoot at a stage for all of the PRS matches i have done. that picture is my AI atx in 6.5 that's my bolt gun that is a steel barrel.

So you shed weight off the barrel, only to add it back on the gun with weights to shoot out a more expensive barrel. Makes sense.

I like CF barrels but I’d never run one on a match rifle because of weight and how much mirage they throw off.

So you shed weight off the barrel, only to add it back on the gun with weights to shoot out a more expensive barrel. Makes sense.

I like CF barrels but I’d never run one on a match rifle because of weight and how much mirage they throw off.
I got a great deal on the rifle so adding weights is no big deal I shoot in the north east where I have never had a problem with mirage .

I got a great deal on the rifle so adding weights is no big deal I shoot in the north east where I have never had a problem with mirage .

If you put 20 rounds through a CF barrel in a stage it’s going to have mirage coming off of it, I don’t care if you live on Antarctica.

Some of the worst Mirage I have seen are in PA matches ironically. Go shoot lewistown in the middle of summer and get back to us haha.

Lack of experience does not make something true or false.

My buddy and I shoot in august and after a few strings. There is definitely mirage….and I run an ATACR. I’m not sure how you can buy your way out of mirage…it’s water vapor in the air cooking around your barrel. Definitely worse with a hot suppressor.

Reactions: marc.south1972
My buddy and I shoot in august and after a few strings. There is definitely mirage….and I run an ATACR. I’m not sure how you can buy your way out of mirage…it’s water vapor in the air cooking around your barrel. Definitely worse with a hot suppressor.
Maybe the shoots I have done we had more of a break in between stages maybe I just haven’t seen the worse conditions yet. We will see this next season .

You cant he is full of shit. I ran Tangents and ZCO last year and Gen 3 Razors this year. All get gobbled by mirage.

Dude recommended a carbon barrel for PRS, thats all your need to know about his qualifications and experience.

I'm glad to see the gas gun matches coming back. I used to run a WSSM that fed like butter and zipped 105 Amax at 3000fps pretty easy. Only down side was that it took a 30 round mag to hold 10-11 rounds of WSSM ammo.
In the AR platform, it's untouchable. Not for everyone, and probably not even the ideal system...but untouchable ballistically.

So that is no ? That doesn’t help this thread you could at least post a link.

Posting a picture of a rifle without even an optic in a case that doesn’t even appear to have been shot doesn’t help the thread either.

The 6 ARC thread isn’t hard to find, go look for it.

Myself and others have helped the thread by dismissing your retardation of suggesting a CF barrel for PRS gas gun matches based on our own experiences from running them. I own Proof CF barrels and like them, never would I run one on a gas gun for matches though, that’s stupid for reasons that have been stated.

Reactions: blksno
Posting a picture of a rifle without even an optic in a case that doesn’t even appear to have been shot doesn’t help the thread either.

The 6 ARC thread isn’t hard to find, go look for it.

Myself and others have helped the thread by dismissing your retardation of suggesting a CF barrel for PRS gas gun matches based on our own experiences from running them. I own Proof CF barrels and like them, never would I run one on a gas gun for matches though, that’s stupid for reasons that have been stated.
You are so very helpful.

I’ve heard of guys running 6GT. I’m interested in doing so myself. Only place I’ve seen that is cutting for 6GT is x-caliber. I’m really interested in running a 25 creedmoor gasser with 2.87 magazines.

I got 2nd place in PRS gas gun this year with 6mm ARC and the cartridge wasn't what held me back. Was within 5 points of 1st place at the finale. I believe of the 6-7 gassers there 3 were ARCs.

Would love it if you all would post pics of your PRS gas guns. In my area there are only a couple guys shooting gas guns so I always shoot my bolt gun. If it became more popular I would definitely join in.

Look at it this way, if you all start posting pics of your PRS gas guns it would save this terrible thread.