• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which action is the s-m-o-o-t-h-e-s-t...?

I have a Borden Timberline on a hunting rifle. It is a very nice action but it isn't that smooth. It is a long action and wants to bind. I would not put it in the top three smoothest actions but in terms of being a we'll designed and executed action it is up there with anyone else. It's fairly plain-jane with a pinned recoil lug, scope base, 90* push feed. No groundbreaking features, just a very nice action.

I've shot AI, ARC, Zermatt , Impact, and easily the smoothest operating (the full firing cycle, not just a smooth raceway) is a defiance deviant elite. The long action length firing pin spring w/ CRF just makes for the best feeling action out there. they must do a poor job marketing it because no reason that action shouldn't be on the tip of every tongue
I’ve never handled one. I was looking into one however every gunsmith I spoke to said they were trash. Even ones that were defiance dealers, they just pointed me at the standard deviant. That is what dissuaded me.

Thanks reubenski!

How does the Defiance Tenacity compare to the deviant are they just as smooth?

I’ve never handled one. I was looking into one however every gunsmith I spoke to said they were trash. Even ones that were defiance dealers, they just pointed me at the standard deviant. That is what dissuaded me.
Trash how?

Trash how?

They mentioned feeding issues, “getting it to run” was what they said. Again, please take this with a grain of salt, I never handled one. I really liked what I saw about it on paper but two separate smiths said the same thing. Another just said go with a different action but he wasn’t a dealer.

Just got my terminus zeus, its the smoothest out of the box/unfired one i've had. I had a defiance elite and ran 3-4k of 6.5x47 through it without trouble, it comes in a close second only because I know this zeus will only get better with use.

Reactions: Fylamaw
Does anyone run a Borden Alpine or Timberline? How do they compare to Defiance actions.

In custom actions, I've had Surgeon, Borden and Defiance. Tightest: Borden, Loosest: Surgeon. I really like the feel of the Borden (Alpine in my case) and is every bit as smooth as a Defiance. The Defiance Deviant has more features.

AI, Impact, Lone Peak are the smoothest I’ve ran.

Waiting on a Terminus as the Curtis bolts are very smooth, just had other issues. If the Terminus fixes them. It’ll go into the list above.
Lone Peak is definitely NOT the smoothest...first hand experience here.

If these moronic action manufacturers would stop coating them bolts with trinite we wouldn't have this thread.

Lone Peak is definitely NOT the smoothest...first hand experience here.

Which model? The titanium ones or the SS Fuzion?

By virtue of material properties, no titanium action is going to make the list for smoothest.

I think threads about "smoothest actions" are pretty stupid, which is why I haven't gotten involved in this thread until up to this point.

Every LP Fuzion I've handled has been top notch, certainly no complaints about how "smooth" it is, among other things. It's an excellent push feed 2 lug action.

I have a big horn, an axiom. And a surgeon. All are smooth but the smoothest is the surgeon