• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AICS mag?

insidetheten

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2018
Ojai, CA
My rifle is an Impact action in a MPA chassis, 6.5 CM. I have been using a couple Magpul magazines that I already had while I got the barrel broke in and am now ready to get some better mags. I'd like to get a couple AICS 10rnd mags. Can someone enlighten me to the differences between them AX, AW, and so on. Anything that works as good or better (in your opinion) than an AICS? THANKS!!

I have a .223 that takes aics mags. The MDT mags are tight for my bottom metal. Doesn't really bother me but it it will get messed with eventually. Haven't tried an accurate mag yet but they have a great reputation. They are also around double the price of my MDT mag...

I actually prefer the Magpuls over the AICS mags. They are quieter when when inserting and seem to fit better. Several of my AICS won’t drop from my AICS chassis on their own. I’ve never had any issues with the Magpuls and they are cheaper and much more plentiful.

Run AICS mags and never had problems with them. Magpul would bind if I put any pressure on the mag on a barricade. And arcs just never ran well for me.

I have a pair of Alpha mags for my Rem 700 .308. They are AICS style, and well made. Their interior dimensions allow loading out to 2.965" COAL if you choose.
I will say, they are a tight fit in my CDI bottom metal. They fit, but it's a tight squeeze. Not drop free like my Tikka CTR mags.

Alpha Industries

I have been running the MDT AICS Mags without the binder plate without any problems.
When you first get them you may need to adjust the feed lips slightly, to match your action.
I went with the no binder plate to get longer COAL, but in the final development probably did not need to go to that extreme.

AI AICS and Alpha 10 round is all i have used, both have been excellent.
I use the Alpha for 65 Creedmoor so I can take advantage of the extra length using the 147eldm the AI mags will be moved to use with the 6.5x47 when I finish it since there is no need for the extra length of the Alpha with that cartridge.
I have been wanting to try one of the Magpul just haven't picked one up yet.

OP,

I run AICS, Accurate Mag (.308 and .223), and MDT's. They're all good mags, and are an upgrade to Magpul mags IMHO (especially in longevity and durability).

Currently, I'd steer you to MDT, as they have 12 rd'ers for PRS style mags, and seem to be more involved in the evolution of the LR community.

As far as AW mags, they are a bit nicer in that they are shorter, but you need a different mag latch, as well as many actions need to be notched for use. Also, since they are a double stack, side feed, they are easier to load (just push down from the top like an AR mag, versus loading from the front like a pistol mag). I think the MDT AICS 10 rd mags are a good compromise for a short(er) AICS pattern mag. JMHO.

HTH...