• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which ammo are you guys using in .22lr ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
I have a 40X on the way from the CMP. I'm looking for some advice on ammo. Any work better or worse than the others ?

I've noticed the Winchester 333 boxes from Walmart shoot like crap out of my Walther P22. The 550 packs of federal seem to work well.

My club does rimfire competitions and I'd love to start competing there. Just curious what ammo I should be looking at ?

Thanks.

Re: Which ammo are you guys using in .22lr ?

Wolf Match and RWS seem to work well in my CZ452.

Bulk = Winchester Dyna-points

Match = RWS,Wolf match, Eley target rifle

For all around everyday shooting the dynas work well in my Savage MKII

Mike

I have also had very good luck with Wolf Match. Rem target also works well for me. CCI Blazer seems to work very well in my gun too, however it does seem much more prone to the odd flier, which would make it unacceptable in a match. But for cheap practice that is what I burn through.

If I were you I would just pick up a wide selection of 50 round boxes, go out print some groups, and see what works for you and your rifle. That is the great thing about .22, you can do that and not break the bank.

Kind of depends on what ranges I'm shooting at. For long range (100+ yards) I like the Eley Sport (1085 fps), Aguila Golden Eagle Target (1100 fps), and the Aguila Super Extra (1135 fps), with my bolt action Savage MK II-FVT.

Federal 510B also works very well with this rifle (MK II-FVT) out to 50 yards.

For 25 & 50 yard shooting I'll normally use one of my semi-auto Rifles (795 Marlin or 10/22 Ruger) which I try to feed Federal #745 Bulk ammo (1260 fps) or the Federal 510B (1240 fps). Both rifles do very good with this stuff. The Ruger will also shoot the Eley Sport very well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wolf Match</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">SK Jagd Standard Plus</span> for accuracy stuff and Federal Bulk pack for plinking .

Thanks for the replies guys.

I do plan on buying several boxes and see what works best. I just wanted to know what I should start with on my experiments.

thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Wolf Match</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">SK Jagd Standard Plus</span> for accuracy stuff and Federal Bulk pack for plinking . </div></div>

+1

For long range accuracy Eley Tenx (red box) or Match (black box).

For plinking, whatever is cheapest at that point in time.

22 LR rifles are schizophrenic! An ammo works in one may or may not work in another gun of the same make and model. Also changing a production lot within the same make and type of ammo may cause problems.

My wife and I shoot about 10,000 rounds of 22 ammo a year in silhouette and 200 yard bullseye matches. We have tested and shot a number of differnt brands and types within the brands. We have settled on Eley Club Xtra EPS and Eley Pistol Xtra for 1/5th scale silhouette and SK Standard Plus for 1/2 scale silhouette. For 200 yard bullseye we are using Eley Tennex and a especially good lot of the Eley Pistol Xtra. We also shoot a 25 yard falling plate pistol competition and have found the Federal Bulk HP ammo to work as well as anything out of our Ruger Mark II's at this close range and it is CHEAPER.

Overall for rifle shooting, we have found that SK Standard Plus and Eley EPS (NOT SPORT) works well in most guns. Eley Sport is not made by Eley, it is coming from Mexico (I believe Aguilla is making it with Eley priming compound) and we have found it to be very erratic out past 60 meters.

Here is the source we use for all non bulk ammo: http://www.championshooters.com/start.html

Good luck and Merry Christmas,

George

The better performance/price ratio on my 22LR firearms are, so far, Wolf ME for my 10/22 Target, Eley Sport for my CM-2, and Federal 510 for my BuckMarks.

All my rifles like SK match at 5.75 a box it’s not that bad. It shoots sub moa out to 200 yards for me.

I shot my CZ452 all day Saturday using Eley EPS, Wolf Match and CCI. Of them, I liked the Ely the best but had no stoppages of any kind. I had some flyers but I think it was due to a problem with the shooter rather than the rifle or ammo. Definitely MOS (minute of squirrel) with all three.

I think everyone but me is getting great results from Wolf MT and ME. I've gotten the best results from Federal GMM and CCI standard velocity. 510 shoots well enough at 50 through my CZ.

I would recommend trying all the bulk that is available first and then moving on to whatever standard velocity you can.

I use Remington Bulk and I get pretty much sub MOA groups at up to 200 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Remington Bulk and I get pretty much sub MOA groups at up to 200 yards. </div></div>

I beleive we have an artist among us - a BS artist.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Remington Bulk and I get pretty much sub MOA groups at up to 200 yards. </div></div>

wink.gif

</div></div>Not at all.. If you dont belive me thats your choice. I may be alotof things but a liar isnt one of them.

rifle-

when it's serious, wolf, sk match when i have extra $.

when it's not so seriouis, aguila golden eagle match rifle normally. (half the price as above and only losing .25" +/- in group size)

when it's 50 yards, rem. subsonics until my supply is gone

semi / sa pistol-

walmart federal bulk stuff 550 pack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Remington Bulk and I get pretty much sub MOA groups at up to 200 yards. </div></div>

wink.gif

</div></div>Not at all.. If you dont belive me thats your choice. I may be alotof things but a liar isnt one of them. </div></div>

You are getting under 2" with Remington golden bulk at 200 yards? You must have the magic version of that Remington bulk ammo the rest of us can't buy.

...a picture would be nice...of course a target shot at 50 yards can have 200 notated on it.

not to "dis" the sub moa 200 yard guy, but i (as most) would find it hard enough to get it to 2" at 100 yards with a 10/22 or a marlin and bulk, remington ammo none the less.

out of all the shooters here that have the same rifle and tried the same ammo and couldn't achieve it, it does sound a bit "tall"

it's nothing against the sub moa at 200 guy, it's practically a mechanical impossiblity considering the inconsistancy of the bulk ammo, and the generic nature of the 10/22 / marlin platform.

IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Remington Bulk and I get pretty much sub MOA groups at up to 200 yards. </div></div>

wink.gif

</div></div>Not at all.. If you dont belive me thats your choice. I may be alotof things but a liar isnt one of them. </div></div>

Maybe need a brush up on trigonometry?, maybe the setting is wrong on the rangefinder? slipped a decimal place? - Not callin' anyone out, but...
I have yet to see a box/lot of <span style="text-decoration: underline">any Remington ammo</span> that shoots that good.
But bulk Remington inside a minute at 200 yards?
I have seen targets shot with Remington bulk-pack that could produce 2 inch groups at 200 INCHES! and with the right rifle and shooter maybe 20 yards, but never seen it at 200 yards.
shocked.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leland1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Not at all.. If you dont belive me thats your choice. I may be alotof things but a liar isnt one of them. </div></div>

PLEASE understand I am not calling you a liar. That would be presumptuous of me.

I actually thought you were making a joke.....cuz sub-MoA at 200 yds with bulk pak 22rf ammo just sounds.....ludicrous.

Seemed like an obvious joke to me.

Ha ha....I get it. Funny.

I use the Federal Auto-match in my rig.. it worked well in the 10/22 I had once and I had a couple of cases so it has to be used up..
My 40X will shoot around 0.5" groups with it and alot depends on the wind (but we all know that).

Seems fairly accurate to me but I generally shoot at steel pipe I have hanging off the top of my back-stop. One piece is 4" tall and the other 6" tall. These pieces came off some support steel a friend gave me. They ring well enough to be heard from 240yrds which is the max. distance I can shoot at that field..

RJ

"use Remington Bulk and I get pretty much sub MOA groups at up to 200 yards."

I think it is awesome that you, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, and Santa Claus can all shoot Sub MOA groups at 200 yards. I hear Osama Bin Laden has some openings for snipers in his organization I will pass along your info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 750k2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Wolf Match</span> or <span style="font-weight: bold">SK Jagd Standard Plus</span> for accuracy...</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Try SK Pistol Match SPC, its price is half way between Match Target and Match Extra, and its consistently given me smaller groups and lower SDs that the either.

Federal Premium Gold Medal Match seems to be the best I have shot out of my CZ 452.

i like the remington subsonics, 1050fps hollowpoint. i find that its pretty consistant in both my .22s. ones a 10/22 with 20" green mountain barrel and the other is a wildcat target model.

I shoot the SK or Wolf MT exclusively.