• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Anschutz?

scullti

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2008
Hartland, CT
For all you anschutz owners out there, I am in the market for one but I'm not sure which model to get. I am looking to get a high end .22 that I can train with cheaply (my 7mm gets costly after awhile) and closely mimic my centerfire rifle. I would like to stick with the 54 action, and would like to keep my budget as close to $1000 as possible. I've already looked at the 1907 and 1813, but I'm not sure I could find one of those within my budget. I am not opposed to buying used, in fact I expect to in order to get the model I want in my price range. The reason why I was drawn to the 1907 and 1813 models is the adjustability of the stock, which is similar to my centerfire. I would also like the rifle to come with sights. Do any of you have recommendations on what model may fit the bill for me and possible places I could find it? Thanks for all the help.

Re: Which Anschutz?

I just heard about a place called Duffy's gun shop that sells used Annie's on gun broker. Here is the link. Prices seem Ok, see if there is anything in his online inventory on gun broker( there is a link on the products page).
http://www.duffysguns.com/

Being a lover of Anschutz I have the tendency to search for them on gunbroker from time to time. $700 to $1000 for a 54 rifle with sights is easily done. I think it will be hard to get a fully adjustable stock on a 54 in good condition for under $1k. You might be better off buying a 54 with a basic stock and having the length of pull and adjustable cheek peice added. I remember adjustable cheek peice additions only running about $200 last I checked and length of pull is even easier to do. You could easily get all this done to a $700 gun and have it come in under $1k.

Of course, if you want all the trimmings with several way butt pad, hook, and other stuff you might be better off paying the money up front for one that already has the fixings but those are generally well over $1k.

My suggestion is to keep your eyes on gunbroker for a while and try not to get too hung up with exactly which model you are looking for. Anschutz has produced such a dizzying array of models of 54 over the years I can't keep track of model numbers and features for the life of me.

Clark's Guns in Warrenton VA has a nice Anschutz 1907 with sights for under $1K, I think they wanted $925 for it. If you call them they may ship it to you.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but i am a noob with the high end rimfire world. I was looking at a CZ and saw just how much i would eventually spend on it trying to make it comparable to an Anschutz... realizing no matter what it will never be an Annie. Lol. If i was looking for nice used repeater 22lr based off of the 54 action, what model am i looking for and what is a fair price? Preferably keeping it under 1k, going to scope it (so no need for iron sights) and use as a trainer, plinker, and all the other fun stuff a 22 is good for. I'd appreciate any suggestions and help on what to look for and where to look.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 750k2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search for MTGUNS
The guy who took it over actually has a better web page.
http://www.chesebrorifles.com/Anschutz_c5.htm </div></div>

+1 Mac at MT Guns was a first class guy. I don't know the new owner, I did notice his prices went up a bunch. They always have nice stuff though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 750k2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search for MTGUNS
The guy who took it over actually has a better web page.
http://www.chesebrorifles.com/Anschutz_c5.htm </div></div>

+1 Mac at MT Guns was a first class guy. I don't know the new owner, I did notice his prices went up a bunch. They always have nice stuff though. </div></div>

I have been researching for the past year on a repeater trainer and that led me to anschutz's and MT Guns.

Actually currently working with Mark Cheseboro (Macs old head of operations before Mac retired) on a trainer build. Doubting when I will get my 40x conversion back, I decided to get a cheap 1407, have Mark convert it to repeater (in his price he also cuts the barrel back and rechambers/recrowns and includes a couple mags), and bed it in a manners stock. Will do a complete review when I get it from him. Hopefully soon. If you get a rifle from him, he also has a 3/8" accuracy guarentee. He has never had one returned so I am guessing he is conservative on his accuracy.

If you want to go on the cheap, get a used 1407 or similiar on gunbroker (patients usually pays off) and shoot it for while. After you save some $$, have the conversion done and maybe stocks changed out.

Good luck

Regards,
DT

I have an 1813L and a 54MS. If you plan on shooting 3 position go with an 1813. The 1907 is a lighter model and the 1813 will be more stable in offhand. As far as price no way in hell will you find one that cheap. Another thing to be careful of I see alot for sale aren't what they state they are. Seems alot have different stocks and alot of swapped out parts. Find a good original rifle. They run forever and don't ever break if taken care of. A rifle complete with sights will be at least $1500-$2000.

A good example is the link about. They have an 1813 listed for $1850 and its an 1810 model. The 1813 has a prone stock that doesn't slope down to the trigger guard. The 1813 comes with a palm rest to make up for the lower stock.

get a used one...gunbroker as mentioned above
the stock is a little banged up but it's easy to fix. I've owned this same one and can say that it's a dream to shoot...a little heavy but rock steady
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319564752

If you really want an Aunschutz rifle don't be afraid of going used...they're fine rifles. Also, don't be afraid of spending a little more than a grand...1200-1500 will get you 10x more rifle used.

Or, seriously consider the new Savage target 22's...fine rifles for the money

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really appreciate it. I'm giving that one model 54 auction on gunbroker a hard look. I've also been bringing up a lot of 1413 models on my travels, and they do seem to be fairly attractive in configuration and prices that I've been able to find. Is there anything that should dissuade me from looking at that model as well?

If memory serves, it is a 54 bbled action, just a free-style stock

I talked with D Tros and the 1407 deal doesn't sound too bad. While researching i have found a website that sells barreled actions. http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Barreled_Actions-413.aspx
They have a new 1712D repeater for 975. Anyone have any experience with this model? It has the 54 action and the barrels are supposed to be the same, with a different contour, as the more target oriented rifles. Any idea on what kind of accuracy to expect from this? Seems like a really nice trainer could be built off this for a not so terrible price.

Thats more of a sporter model. Stick with the target line. 1400,1800 or 1900 series. The trigger that can't be beat is the 5018. Old 22's never wear out. Buy the best you can afford its one less excuse you'll have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Backspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> While researching i have found a website that sells barreled actions. http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Barreled_Actions-413.aspx
They have a new 1712D repeater for 975. Anyone have any experience with this model? It has the 54 action and the barrels are supposed to be the same, with a different contour, as the more target oriented rifles. Any idea on what kind of accuracy to expect from this? Seems like a really nice trainer could be built off this for a not so terrible price. </div></div>

That would be one heck of a trainer!

The 1700 series rifles are fricken awesome! I know, as I just purchased a 1710 D HB. I have had other models - 64R Biathlon and a 54.18 MSR with the 5018 trigger. The Anschutz triggers are very nice. As mentioned the 5018 trigger is incredible and the best I've ever had. However, this new 1710 that I have will out shoot the 54.18 that I used to have and the 1700's have very nice triggers as well.

So aboslutely, a 1712 barreled action fitted in your choice of stock is a terrific idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an 1813L and a 54MS. If you plan on shooting 3 position go with an 1813. The 1907 is a lighter model and the 1813 will be more stable in offhand. As far as price no way in hell will you find one that cheap. Another thing to be careful of I see alot for sale aren't what they state they are. Seems alot have different stocks and alot of swapped out parts. Find a good original rifle. They run forever and don't ever break if taken care of. A rifle complete with sights will be at least $1500-$2000. </div></div>

It is not uncommon to put the xx07 barreled actions in the xx13 stocks to get the weight back for offhand. This is for "real" position shooting, not this tacticool trainer stuff.

Marc starting with the 1407 as the basis for a tacticool repeater build is the way to go. The 1407 is a plentiful and reasonably priced mule, and the barrel weight is more in line with the moderate weight tactical build than the 26" heavy barrels. An xx07 is known as a "standard rifle", what the women had to shoot in ISSF competition prior to them being deemed worthy of handling a complete free rifle like the boys. Lots of 'em out there as junior club rifles too and making their way back to people like Mac.

Yes the 28in barrel of the 1813 and 1810 are pretty heavy. They do make a more stable platform for offhand. Without the butt hook the rifle would be impossible to hold. Im getting mine pillar bedded right now hope it doesn't take too long Im missing a few winter matches already. Whatever Anschutz you buy you'll be happy. Just don't hack to up to make a tactical rifle. Buy a different stock that why you can always bring it back to original. The parts are hard to find and can cost you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes the 28in barrel of the 1813 and 1810 are pretty heavy. They do make a more stable platform for offhand. </div></div>

that is debatable. Many like a rearward weight balance as well as a shorter barrel for reduced barrel time of the projectile.

The square action position rifles actually have a sub-20" barrel backbored to 16 1/4".

The last thing I want for offhand is a barrel heavy/stock light rifle. Same for Jamie Gray and Matt Emmons.

I guess its all what you get used to. When I got my 1813L that was the only barrel choice. Now they have tubes and are shorter.