• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR lower

Re: Which AR lower

I've never heard of Tactical Machine but I know Doublestar is more or less considered a lower tier or bargain lower.

This is what I would do, if you are set on taking home a lower:

Bring a magazine or two, ie a USGI and a Pmag, and see if they drop free from the magwell. If they bind up in one lower then select the other one.

If the lowers are stripped, look over the holes for the roll pins. receiver tube extension threads, the metal between the fire control group housing and the bolt-catch, just to visually check for marring, burrs, flaws, improper or out of spec holes, cracks, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never heard of Tactical Machine but I know Doublestar is more or less considered a lower tier or bargain lower.

This is what I would do, if you are set on taking home a lower:

Bring a magazine or two, ie a USGI and a Pmag, and see if they drop free from the magwell. If they bind up in one lower then select the other one.

If the lowers are stripped, look over the holes for the roll pins. receiver tube extension threads, the metal between the fire control group housing and the bolt-catch, just to visually check for marring, burrs, flaws, improper or out of spec holes, cracks, etc. </div></div>

Double Star isn't low end. It isn't bargain either. It's a fine factory rifle manufacturer that makes some very good stuff.

In fact, almost all lowers use parts made in the same place. A lower is a lower is a lower. There are very few differences between any of them.

Go with any name brand, of which Double Star is a part, and you'll be GTG.

I too have a DS and it is my SHTF gun. 16" M4 upper with A2 front sight, Troy flip-up front sight, and 6 position adjustable stock. I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x with Green Triangle, and we're ready to go.

What I like best about Double Star are 3 things:

1) They are local. I like that (though I understand fully that it doesn't automatically make it a good rifle). It's nice to see a major rifle manufacturer at your average local gun show. It's a good, American company that produces good, American products.

2) They are reasonably priced.

3) They make no claims of making a "superior" AR platform gun. Here is what they say:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: "DoubleStar"</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We at DoubleStar, will not make the claim some of the "Big Boys" make. "Our rifles are better than anyone else's." All AR-15s are parts guns and with a few negative exceptions, all AR-15s are about the same.

DoubleStar pledges to provide you with an AR-15 that is equal to anything on the market. You will be treated in a friendly business manner. Our staff will go out of its way to accommodate special requests. In short, DoubleStar will treat you in the same professional manner J & T Distributing has treated its clients for the past 25 years. All we ask is the chance.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chip01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I went with the doublestar lower now i just gotta get an upper for it. I was thinking the rock river arms varmint A4 in a 20in. </div></div>

Tough to go wrong with RR.

Don't rule out uppers from some of the other companies like Double Star and DPMS. I have one of each and love both of them.

Double Star has absolutely fantastic customer service, and they stand behind their products 100%. I wouldn't hesitate to look at one of their uppers. I saw an entire cart load of them last weekend at our local gun show; mighty impressive selection, and great prices too.

Not all lowers are equal. Yes there are a few forges popping out lowers for the majority of ARF makers. I have quite a few ARFs and after a while, tended to look for less run of the mill stuff.

There are a few distinguished: POF, the Seekins and LaRue - billet-licious. I have a POF SBR and it's great. Seekins - looks a little different, but after a bunch of mil-spec stuff, it is a thing of beauty. LaRue with a Larue upper is beautiful as well.

Be sure to check out ar15.com

Seekins Precision