• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which AR10 to get? ($3500 rifle budget)

Re: Which AR10 to get? ($3500 rifle budget)

I run a dpms 6.5cm it's a nice accurate gun, after playing with with different options my next gasser will be a gap-10. They just made it right!

Keep it simple and get a JP. Just runs and works. Little pricey. Other than that, I'd go with a DPMS LR-308 and then tweak as you'd like. Money saved equals better glass and ammo.

Rich

+1 Build your own.

With all of the information available and a few tools a reasonably savy person could accomplish this.

With alittle research, some quality components,time there is no reason you cant have a rifle that shoots just as well for 1/3 the price.

Larue OBR. I have the 16" one and this thing is INSANELY smooth.

I also like the look of the new GAP-10 but I have yet to get my hands on one. Looks very good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Condemnation before investigation is the cornerstone of ignorance. </div></div>

Might want to think about that applied to what you said....

No Fulton love???

DreadUpper.1.jpg

I'd also build your own, but be sure to get a good barrel. Brux sells pre-contoured barrels with extension installed, headspaced bolt, and gas port drilled for a very good price. If I didn't contour and chamber my own barrels I'd buy a Brux.

I built a 308 AR with a fulton barrel 16". It didn't shoot that great at first but seems to be doing better now that I have about 150 rounds through it. If I were to do it again I'd get the rainier select or ultra match barrels instead, probably the same or better accuracy and lighter in weight.

edit: I shot a 2" group at 200something the other day with it. 4 shots into an inch and it threw the last one to the right. Not bad for a 240$ barrel and pulled bullets. If you want consistently better than that you have to spend for a better barrel, reloading components and of course be able to shoot as well as the rifle can. The first two can be done by anybody with a credit card but the last one is a bit harder...

Sabreco
Scottymilk
Madesha Firearms
Lee Wells
Superior Shooting Systems
Your Shooting Buddy's Picnic Table

C'mon guys; plow some new ground. Expand the horizon. Spread the wealth. Get a fresh perspective. Jus sayin'
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigCarrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Under this nickel is a five shot group that was shot at 100 yards by a complete rattard with a GAP-10. Can't beat that.
Guns0892.jpg
</div></div>

RFA.

This ARMALITE AR-10A4{That's chrome-lined for those from Rio Linda}exactly
as you see it, with AIMPOINT 5000 2X 1.5MOA, SST 150gr Hornady factory fodder and fired exactly like this @ 100yds:

AR10A4AIMPOINTBUISUP.jpg

AR10A4AIMPOINT.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010100.jpg

P7160373.jpg

P7160375.jpg

I'm having a blast swimming, rappelling, crawling with and shooting my PWS MK214. I am using it in a role it was not intended for but it continues to amaze me. I would trust my life to it... Best of luck to you with your search. There is some great advice in this thread... All rifles mentioned are stellar... Have fun with whatever you pick. I would add that good glass and a good trigger are just as important in the make up of the complete package.

Let us know what you go with.

Cheers!

There is a guy on AR15 EE selling his complete MWS set up including a fluted Noveske and original 16" CL for $3100 cash (down from $3500 ask). Upgrade the trigger and should be good to go.

004-5.jpg

"Here's a breakdown of street prices to redo this weapon:

LMT MWS - $2,500
Extra Noveske stainless fluted barrel with precision comp - $800
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Vari X III - $600
Harris Bipod BRM and LaRue Tactical LT130 QD Mount -$150
LaRue Tactical Surefire Mount Upgrade LT-170 - $79
LaRue Tactical Padded Sling - $70
Primary Arms Ultimate Weapon Light - $80
Primary Arms Deluxe AR15 Scope Mount - 1" - $60
Primary Arms Micro Green Dot Reflex Sight - $75
Offset Mount - $20
KAC FG - $10

Total - $4,444"

I have a POF and really like it as a good choice. However, if all the options were in front of me and available, I would probably go with the GAP-10 and then start working on getting the correct glass.

For $3100 shouldn't have to upgrade anything IMHO, makes a gap10 even more appealing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonusvi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a guy on AR15 EE selling his complete MWS set up including a fluted Noveske and original 16" CL for $3100 cash (down from $3500 ask). Upgrade the trigger and should be good to go.

004-5.jpg

"Here's a breakdown of street prices to redo this weapon:

LMT MWS - $2,500
Extra Noveske stainless fluted barrel with precision comp - $800
Leupold 4.5-14x40 Vari X III - $600
Harris Bipod BRM and LaRue Tactical LT130 QD Mount -$150
LaRue Tactical Surefire Mount Upgrade LT-170 - $79
LaRue Tactical Padded Sling - $70
Primary Arms Ultimate Weapon Light - $80
Primary Arms Deluxe AR15 Scope Mount - 1" - $60
Primary Arms Micro Green Dot Reflex Sight - $75
Offset Mount - $20
KAC FG - $10

Total - $4,444"

</div></div>

I'd go with the repr.....yes I own one. No problems. You get what you pay for. Works best with a suppresor.

This one is easy.

LMT =$2300 otd

USO 1.5-6X =$1200 delivered

TPS rings =$79.00

We are over by $80 bucks.

The LMT will shoot 3/4" with quality ammo, the 1.5-6x is gtg out to 5-600yrds.
This set-up would satisfy the requirements of most .308 shooters. Both are built like tanks, both have 1st rate CS. I really don't think reliability is an issue with the LMT (Ask the U.K. troops using it). Also rifle/scope made in USA.

I love the fact that there are so many choices for guys looking to move to the .308/7.62, and at so many price points.

An LMT is super bargain. A beefy, reliable .308 for $2300? Pinch me, it must be a dream. But, I'm so old I remember when the choices were M1a, FAL, HK 91!
YMMV

If it was me I would get a Mega Ma-Ten monolithic upper and lower with a 20 inch carbon fiber ABS wrapped Saturn barrel, a good trigger and either a JP or Young Manufacturing bolt carrier and bolt.

If you are looking for a gas piston Christensen Arms is making a neat looking one.

http://www.christensenarms.com/tactical-ca-10-recon

I'm partial to the GAP10 and I've never shot a more consistent auto but there's logic in going the DPMS SASS route. I owned one prior to my GAP and the bang-for-the-buck factor is HUGE. You get a lot of rifle for the money which means you can get a higher end optic.

With a $3500 budget, JP's (AR10) the LRP 07 is definitely worth considering!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQRn1RmS1dQ&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQRn1RmS1dQ&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Are the Armalite Super SASS rifles not even in the equation anymore?

They sure should be. They are the only ones I know of who've gone to the expense and trouble of making the correct size firing pin hole and firing pin.

LWRC REPR would be my first choice in that price range.

If I wanted to save some money, I would look hard at the LMT MWS.

LWRC over POF any day. Easy to clean, reliable and less bulky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the Armalite Super SASS rifles not even in the equation anymore? </div></div>

Not really. They aren't bad rifles it's just that the competition is fierce & when you consider that a DIY'er can build something like that Super SASS for 500+ less then why buy one?

I have a POF. I love it.

If I was buying another one today it'd be a GAP10 and put the same compact 2.5x10 Nightforce scope with the Velocity Reticle. You'd be close to your $3,500 budget.

You may now place your order for an OBR. I just took my place in line so you will be behind me; looks like about a 12 week wait right now.

I decided to get the OBR after shooting it side by side with a KAC SR 25 EMC. The OBR felt smoother, better balanced and out shot the EMC in the hands of several marksmen. Plus it comes standard with an adjustable gas block if you ever choose to shoot it suppressed that is something nice to have. Also the 20 moa rail is a nice feature so you can just run standard rings to save a little weight and money instead of adding a 20 moa rail.

We shot the OBR out to 1,100 yards and it took about 38 moa to hit the steel. Larue doesn't let a gun leave their shop unless it is shooting sub moa; and they test them out with a variety of match loads. Look all you want, but you are not going to find a better built semi auto .308

My local gun store had a fully kitted out OBR a month or two ago. I only got hold it for a little while, but I could tell that it was really well built. The hand guard was also nice to hold.

REPR's are also pretty dang cool. Definitely a quality rifle. I wonder if anyone makes a aftermarket bolt knob for it. The forward assist seemed kind of awkward.

I don't know where people are finding the LMT MWS for $2300. My local store wants $3000 for a chrome-lined barrel. It was a real shock.

$2,800!! Really? Does LMT even advertise an expected accuracy?

And for what its worth Armalite target rifles are damn good rifles for the money. They can be had for well under $2,000 and I have yet to see one that didn't shoot better than one MOA with match ammo. As for the magazines, whoever said that the AR-10 magazines were unreliable was just repeating rumors and probably never even handled one. The Gen two mags run perfect, I've run a couple thousand rounds through them with very minimal problems; I could probably count on one hand any failure to feeds I had. In fact, I've had many more problems with our issue M110 factory mags. I had to wrap duct tape around the bottoms to keep the floor plate from sliding off. Thank goodness Magpul entered that market.

Jak, now you're talkn'.

Computer shooters have gone nuts over these big chassis AR's and it's only driving up prices.

OBR might simply mean Odd Ball Rifle.

Now don't get me wrong, I do still have an OBR on order, and I feel it is very well worth the price after shooting it next to several AR-308 platforms.

However, when I was on a tighter budget, an Armalite AR-10T definitely fit the bill. I've had a couple and I have helped others purchase/ put together theirs. I helped a coworker buy an upper, put together a stripped lower with a Geissele trigger for less than $1,400. On a $3,000 budget that leaves you enough to get a nice Nightforce to sit on top it.

We shoot a JP in team comps and it has performed extremely well for us. 3/4 five shot groups with no load tweaking.

I have heard great things about the GAP 10 but I dont have any experience with it.

Only a 3 shot group, but still @100 Yds with my GAP-10.

8-2.jpg

8-22-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may now place your order for an OBR. I just took my place in line so you will be behind me; looks like about a 12 week wait right now.

I decided to get the OBR after shooting it side by side with a KAC SR 25 EMC. The OBR felt smoother, better balanced and out shot the EMC in the hands of several marksmen. Plus it comes standard with an adjustable gas block if you ever choose to shoot it suppressed that is something nice to have. Also the 20 moa rail is a nice feature so you can just run standard rings to save a little weight and money instead of adding a 20 moa rail.

We shot the OBR out to 1,100 yards and it took about 38 moa to hit the steel. Larue doesn't let a gun leave their shop unless it is shooting sub moa; and they test them out with a variety of match loads. Look all you want, but you are not going to find a better built semi auto .308 </div></div>

There is more than one right answer to which AR10 to get, but i tend to agree with this one. I have an OBR and am quite happy with it.

I would go with a GAP-10 for a bench gun, but if you want something that can be used as a blaster and or a bench gun, I would get the MWS with a 16 inch CL barrel and order the 20inch stainless for bench applications. I have a POF .308 that I love as a blaster and a bench gun, but I am partial to the LMT since my AR's are all LMT BCM combos. Also if you hit the MWS thread there isn't a sole who has anything bad to say about it.

If there have been issues with MWS's they are corrected and updated. LMT has great customer support.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...LMT has great customer support. </div></div>
That's debatable When I contacted them regarding problems wit an MRP I had they tried to put the blame on the "modifications" I had made. I changed out the grip, added a Magpul bad lever, and installed KNS pins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomahawk84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a GAP-10 for a bench gun, but if you want something that can be used as a blaster and or a bench gun, I would get the MWS with a 16 inch CL barrel and order the 20inch stainless for bench applications. I have a POF .308 that I love as a blaster and a bench gun, but I am partial to the LMT since my AR's are all LMT BCM combos. Also if you hit the MWS thread there isn't a sole who has anything bad to say about it.

If there have been issues with MWS's they are corrected and updated. LMT has great customer support. </div></div>

And why exactly can't a GAP-10 be used for anything other than bench? And where are you finding bad comments about the GAP-10?

You meant Soul I assume unless your referring to MWS owners as heels lol...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Awesymoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had 3500$ to spend on an Large caliber AR, i'd get a bone stock LaRue and optic. Thats just me because I wan't one.

I have a DPMS SASS thats modded and am still looking at putting 600$ more worth of parts into it. Then again I'm an addict
smile.gif
before anybody comes into here saying DPMS sucks, It took me 340 rounds for my shit to shoot right (mostly due to optic mount issues... and me being a dumb@%# and forgetting to tighten down my screws on my rail...) but now that it does, it drives tacks. under 1 MOA is easy pie at 100. as far as reliability? the JP trigger group produced some light primer strikes and failure to fires on some batches of Hornady TAP 168.... Thus the Giesselle SSA-E that i'm throwing in it....

However If I could do it all over again, I'd prob get a LaRue 20" OBR...

</div></div>

+1 LaRue
I don't have a .308 OBR, but I do have a LaRue 5.56 OBR w/20" barrel and SJC comp. It is a real tackdriver. With my handloads (LC brass, 77gr SMK, 25gr. VARGET) I have gotten 4 out of 5 to group at 0.25moa. Several people have marveled at the Giessele trigger that comes with it. I initially had a problem with bolt over brass (probably due to the incredibly low recoil) and called LaRue and they promptly sent me a lighter recoil spring (gratis), which fixed the problem. They also have VERY quick shipping. Everything I have bought from them arrived in the next day or two. The single piece LaRue scope mount I bought is incredibly tight and precise due to it's cam-loc design. I mounted my NightForce NXS 8-32x56 ZS Mil/Mil in it and can remove the mount and replace it with no need to rezero. When I first got it, I had a hard time separating the upper from the lower because the fit was so tight. What initially attracted me to the LaRue OBR though was the truly free floating barrel. Most manufacturers of ARs that claim to produce free floating barrels have the front hand guard attached using the barrel nut. Larue bolts the front hand guard to the upper receiver via their unique uppers which have "ears" for receiving the bolts. This keeps bipods and tension on slings from influencing the barrel. Another nice touch is that they have machined-in the trigger guard to avoid the much maligned blister causing gap on standard ARs. I also like the full length optics rail on top and mounting positions for rail sections on the sides and bottom instead of default rails. This prevents the "wide end of a baseball bat" size grips found on some quad-rails. Oh yeah, then there is the standard fully hard chromed bolt carrier group. My son takes the better part of half an hour to clean the carbon off of his BCG. On mine, from Larue, the carbon wipes off with a dry paper towel. I could go on and on, but you get the picture. LaRue is not built to mil-spec, they build to Texas spec.

My vote goes to a GAP 10, these guns come with an accuracy guarantee. I have one with an Accupoint TRG 23G 5x20x50 scope mounted on it. Although there is a 6 month or so waiting list to buy one you can still find them on Gunbroker from time to time. PM me and I'll send you pics of mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bushmaster all the way,More accurate than all the rest of them. </div></div>

lolwut?

After a lot of research I bought the OBR. It's smooth as butter and a beautifully precise platform.

OP,

$3500 will get you a great rifle. Look around and you can find one used that someone has worked the kinks out, if there were any to begin with. You will be able to save yourself some cash for some top shelf glass and even have $$ left over for ammo.

With that said I have a POF P308 20" and love it. I actually have total of 3 POF rifles. P308 7.62, 6.8II and 5.56 all insanely accurate and well balanced. Took some time to get used to the top rail being up so high, but I like it now.

Just me .02

I would go with Larue OBR or Pretober if you want accuracy, or LMT 308 MWS if you want battle rifle with the LWRC in third