• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which arbor press to buy?

JLP.Payette

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2018
I'm researching arbor presses. Which arbor press does everyone prefer? Not looking for an AMP, just a basic press that offers the best value.

What’s wrong with a Forster ultra seating die? If you’re worried about concentricity? Start at the sizing die. If that’s .001” concentricity A Lee seating die will do just as well.

What’s wrong with a Forster ultra seating die? If you’re worried about concentricity? Start at the sizing die. If that’s .001” concentricity A Lee seating die will do just as well.
Never said anything is wrong with the Forester seating die. I just want to work an arbor press into my process to try something new and have as a tool when doing seating depth tests. No problem with concentricity.

The main thing that’s wrong with it……he didn’t ask for it.

You’re starting to make a habit of taking threads into some direction you want. Stop it.

The main thing that’s wrong with it……he didn’t ask for it.

You’re starting to make a habit of taking threads into some direction you want. Stop it.
Wrong there’s only a couple arbor presses out there. (Meant the die not the actual press). Amp being one he doesn’t want. Fact is. An arbor press doesn’t produce concentricity. The sizing die does. Even you will agree with that. Arbor presses are to get .0005 or less in concentricity IF the sizing die produced .001” concentricity. Otherwise it’s moot at best

Last edited:
Never said anything is wrong with the Forester seating die. I just want to work an arbor press into my process to try something new and have as a tool when doing seating depth tests. No problem with concentricity.
I hear ya. You have a Wilson die? You can go to harbor freight and buy an arbor press for $58. They all do the same shit. Press.

Wrong there’s only a couple arbor presses out there. Amp being one he doesn’t want. Fact is. An arbor press doesn’t produce concentricity. The sizing die does. Even you will agree with that. Arbor presses are to get .0005 or less in concentricity IF the sizing die produced .001” concentricity. Otherwise it’s moot at best
I don’t measure concentricity and that had nothing to do with my question. There are several arbor presses available and to avoid listing all options I asked which people prefer not including the AMP because that’s way outside my budget.

I don’t measure concentricity and that had nothing to do with my question. There are several arbor presses available and to avoid listing all options I asked which people prefer not including the AMP because that’s way outside my budget.
I posted the press

I’m confused. Why get an arbor press if concentricity isn’t something you worry about? That’s the reason why ppl get arbor presses.

• Wow
Reactions: brettb614
I’m confused. Why get an arbor press if concentricity isn’t something you worry about? That’s the reason why ppl get arbor presses.

No…..it’s not.

The main reason is for the “feel” feedback. Or gauge if you get one that has a gauge. Which is why the harbor freight press is a terrible idea.

Read more and post less. You aren’t experienced or knowledgeable enough to give advice. Seriously your last warning before you get locked out of threads for it.

Once again thanks for your input. I’ll take a look at the Harbor Freight press. Haha

Just to clear things up. The arbor presses sold at places like harbor freight are made for pressing parts and such. Not for bullets.

They are made with mechanical advantage that will not give you any feedback. At that point, unless you are faster with Wilson dies (I am) then you might as well just seat on your sizing press.

Reactions: JLP.Payette
No…..it’s not.

The main reason is for the “feel” feedback. Or gauge if you get one that has a gauge. Which is why the harbor freight press is a terrible idea.

Read more and post less. You aren’t experienced or knowledgeable enough to give advice. Seriously your last warning before you get locked out of threads for it.
Please enlighten me on how a harbor freight press is different from any other. Isn’t the Guage on the die? A press does exactly that. Presses. Unless you have a force gauge connected to it to tell how many ft/lbs, psi, kilo newtons ect you’re actually pushing? But what’s the point of that exactly? Unless you’re monitoring from 0-XX (the AMP) then there’s no point in worrying about how much force your throwing to the press right? The die micrometer stops the bullet from going any further into the case no matter how hard or soft you push it in.

please explain “feel”. So no Guage arbor press other than micrometer on seating die….you’re telling me if you feel any resistance you’ll pull the bullet from it? I’m being serious. What if it’s someone who’s not familiar with feel? Will they pull every bullet back to insure the case mouth has no issues? Or check every case mouth beforehand? I mean it’s fine if you’re anal. But let’s be realistic.

Last edited:
Please enlighten me on how a harbor freight press is different from any other. Isn’t the Guage on the die? A press does exactly that. Presses. Unless you have a force gauge connected to it to tell how many ft/lbs, psi, kilo newtons ect you’re actually pushing? But what’s the point of that exactly? Unless you’re monitoring from 0-XX (the AMP) then there’s no point in worrying about how much force your throwing to the press right? The die micrometer stops the bullet from going any further into the case.

Pretty much everything you said is wrong. Except for the micrometer die part. But that’s not what you’re attempting to “feel.” So that might as well be wrong too.

Again less posting more reading. You’re done here.

God you’re stupid.

1627614077663.jpeg

Please enlighten me on how a harbor freight press is different from any other. Isn’t the Guage on the die? A press does exactly that. Presses. Unless you have a force gauge connected to it to tell how many ft/lbs, psi, kilo newtons ect you’re actually pushing? But what’s the point of that exactly? Unless you’re monitoring from 0-XX (the AMP) then there’s no point in worrying about how much force your throwing to the press right? The die micrometer stops the bullet from going any further into the case no matter how hard or soft you push it in.

please explain “feel”. So no Guage arbor press other than micrometer on seating die….you’re telling me if you feel any resistance you’ll pull the bullet from it? I’m being serious. What if it’s someone who’s not familiar with feel? Will they pull every bullet back to insure the case mouth has no issues? Or check every case mouth beforehand? I mean it’s fine if you’re anal. But let’s be realistic.

I see you edited your post.

Rather than answer your questions which are passive aggressive pretend questions, I’ll just call a spade a spade.

Your knowledge is elementary at best. You are obviously mad that you can’t afford better toys (you’ve made several golden spoon type posts).

You have no idea what is or isn’t realistic as you have no idea what does and doesn’t matter. You have done zero real testing. Otherwise you wouldn’t keep bringing up concentricity.

Spend more time reading and you might learn something.

Or spend more of your online time either online classes or searching for a better job and you can afford the things you seem to hate.

Also, save the obvious return answer that you are a millionaire and choose not to buy nice things.

Also yes. Many high level shooters toss the bad “feel” into the practice or fouler pile.

You’d already know this if you had real knowledge of ammunition and shooting.

I'm researching arbor presses. Which arbor press does everyone prefer? Not looking for an AMP, just a basic press that offers the best value.
I purchased my first Arbor Press at the end of last year, and I ended up going with the 21st Century New Generation Arbor Press. I bought the head only, with their 10.5" post, and then purchased from amazon a 6x6x2" granite check base (below). I am sure the standard base from 21st century would be fine, but this base weighs right at 2lbs and gives it a nice solid foundation. At some point I would like to have another press with a Hydro indicator, but right now I am just looking to learn the feel of the arbor press. Compared to my redding big boss II, its kinda crazy how much more you feel in the seating process.

Arbor.jpg

I purchased my first Arbor Press at the end of last year, and I ended up going with the 21st Century New Generation Arbor Press. I bought the head only, with their 10.5" post, and then purchased from amazon a 6x6x2" granite check base (below). I am sure the standard base from 21st century would be fine, but this base weighs right at 2lbs and gives it a nice solid foundation. At some point I would like to have another press with a Hydro indicator, but right now I am just looking to learn the feel of the arbor press. Compared to my redding big boss II, its kinda crazy how much more you feel in the seating process.

View attachment 7677402
Nice! Did the post screw right on to the base? Or did you have to add your own attachment?

If you are interested in a hydro arbor press, although it may be overkill I find Dale Carpenters hydro press base pretty interesting. He can be reached at [email protected]

View attachment 7677405View attachment 7677467
Looks like a novel design for a seating press gage arrangement.
If that is your press, how does it go if you need to exert more than the dial indicates?
I have a K & M with the 46 Lb gage settup & sometime I take the gage well over 46 LB. It uses those disc springs &, although it seems to come back to zero, I've often wondered if it's damaging the spring washers.

Looks like a novel design for a seating press gage arrangement.
If that is your press, how does it go if you need to exert more than the dial indicates?
I have a K & M with the 46 Lb gage settup & sometime I take the gage well over 46 LB. It uses those disc springs &, although it seems to come back to zero, I've often wondered if it's damaging the spring washers.

If you exceed 100 PSI you are damaging bullet tips and there is no reason to go over 80.

No, I don't normally go over 35 to 40 LB.
I did some tests on my annealed cases to see what seating force was required after x number of load & shoot cycles without annealing.
I was wondering if the hydraulic units would put up with some overpressure without damage.

The 21st Century hydro press leaks if you go over 100 PSI. I would not call that damage, tho.

It won't damage the hydro press it will cause the gauge to read high it doesn't effect anything and really all you are looking for is a pressure spike or to stay under a certain number whether that number is 5 or 25.