• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Atlas Bipod?

Sil17sd

ROOKIE
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2017
Florida
If shooting prone from concrete or steel platform would the older style (bt10) be better because of the the front to rear play? Or should I just go with a psr version? I actually have spent some time with a psr and i have noticed it seems to induce hop on these "grippy" surfaces. Just wondering if the the bt10 would help with this due to its ability to soak up recoil impulse without the feet having to slide.

According to this guy, bipod hop is not an equipment issue:

According to this guy, bipod hop is not an equipment issue:

Yes sir I fully believe correct mechanics and setup are the biggest issue. I just wonder if there is some forgiveness to be had there(with the bipod).

I'd recommend the PSR with the QD attachment. The locked legs (non-rotating) allow you to load the bipod on concrete, and the QD attachment is a huge advantage for a bunch of reasons.

the BT10 legs swivel, so you can't load the bipod on hard surfaces without some sort of barrier (shooting mat strap or something). Sure, different bipod feet can help, it I still recommend the PSR.

the BT10 legs swivel, so you can't load the bipod on hard surfaces without some sort of barrier (shooting mat strap or something).
It can be loaded more than sufficiently, of that I am sure.

I'm also not sure what you mean with this statement "the BT10 legs swivel". Swiveling means to rotate around a pivot. All Atlas bipod legs swivel around the top pivot, that's how they are set at one of the five angles in relation to the long axis of the rifle.

If you mean that the BT10 legs rotate around their own axis, yes they do and no that doesn't help or hinder the feets ability to grip concrete. When I push a rifle hard enough for the bipod to slide on concrete the legs don't spin around on their axis. I put a witness mark on them to make sure. That must be another urban legend that gets repeated here without questioning.

Last edited:
It can be loaded more than sufficiently, of that I am sure.

I'm also not sure what you mean with this statement "the BT10 legs swivel". Swiveling means to rotate around a pivot. All Atlas bipod legs swivel around the top pivot, that's how they are set at one of the five angles in relation to the long axis of the rifle.

If you mean that the BT10 legs rotate around their own axis, yes they do and no that doesn't help or hinder the feets ability to grip concrete. When I push a rifle hard enough for the bipod to slide on concrete the legs don't spin around on their axis. I put a witness mark on them to make sure. That must be another urban legend that gets repeated here without questioning.

I'm referring to the legs rotating around their axis. I understand the point for clarification, especially since swivel is a feature of the bipod.

As for the legs rotating around their own axis on hard surfaces, yes, it does happen, and this has been discussed for years. It's not a myth, nor is it an attack against atlas. I owned a BT10, then I upgraded to a PSR (I suspect that this was a contributing factor to why the legs are non-rotating in the newer PSR). Maybe it is simply a product of how I (and plenty of others) load their bipod, which is evidently different than other shooters, such as yourself.

Oxford Dictionary
Swivel (noun): a coupling between two parts enabling one to revolve without turning the other.
Swivel (verb): turn around a point or axis or on a swivel.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the PSR with the QD attachment. The locked legs (non-rotating) allow you to load the bipod on concrete, and the QD attachment is a huge advantage for a bunch of reasons.

the BT10 legs swivel, so you can't load the bipod on hard surfaces without some sort of barrier (shooting mat strap or something). Sure, different bipod feet can help, it I still recommend the PSR.

^ This, but standard height then add the 3" leg extenders to your kit - http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog_ne...ufacturer/70-bt22-atlas-3-leg-extensions.html

Then grab these Hawkhill spiked feet and you're done (these were game changers for me) - https://www.hawkhillcustom.com/store/p42/Bipod_Replacement_Feet_for_Atlas.html

Have a small pin/Allen key to depress the ball-catch to make swapping easy if you need to switch to rubber feet or extensions, I use the Vortex scope tool, which I think is ~2mm Allen.

If shooting prone from concrete or steel platform would the older style (bt10) be better because of the the front to rear play? Or should I just go with a psr version? I actually have spent some time with a psr and i have noticed it seems to induce hop on these "grippy" surfaces. Just wondering if the the bt10 would help with this due to its ability to soak up recoil impulse without the feet having to slide.

If I may ask the question in a slightly different manner........Any reason not to get the PSR?

Attachments

• photo85698.jpg
    photo85698.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 35
OP, Thank you for considering an Atlas bipod. Sincerely, "bipod hop" is akin to "jerking the trigger" both as shooter induced. I shot a ton off the BT10 (V8) series of Atlas with zero problem with the outer legs rotating, however SOME shooters did have problems/concerns about it. SOCOM requested the legs to NOT rotate for the PSR (Precision Sniper Rifle) program so we made those changes along with several others and introduced the Atlas PSR. I'm my opinion, the PSR is a better value at the 40.00 difference.
To muddy the waters further.... I'll be posting about a new Atlas CAL (Cant and Loc) bipod shortly that does not PAN and uses the KMW Pod-Loc.