• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Which Attachment?

akmtnrunner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
I am looking to buy my first suppressor. It will go on a bolt 308 for supersonic and if I can get a good load, subsonic too. The can will probably spend most of its life on the rifle, and when it's not, I would prefer to just have a thread protector there as I am not a fan of brakes. I am thinking direct thread, but as I am still a novice on this subject, are there still any reasons to have a quick detach system?

For me, my bolt guns are direct thread, my semiauto's are QD. No particular reason, other than I will almost always shoot my bolt guns with a can, and I may not with my ARs. So I have thread protectors on my bolt guns.

Reactions: akmtnrunner
There's a few good reasons to use an attachment device over direct thread. I'm sure there's more than I will mention here, but off top of my head the two most obvious to me are:

First, that a well designed taper mount device won't back off or come loose like a direct thread is prone to do. The taper mount device also acts as a thread protector while the can is not installed on the rifle. Also the threads on the device are generally a lot more user friendly to put on and take off and are more difficult to cross thread or other wise bugger up.

Second, the device, in most configurations acts as a sacrificial baffle that takes the brunt of the erosion that would normally be eating at your blast baffle. If you're big into taking care of your things and not spending extra money on tax stamps that's a good bonus.

Downside is the expense of adding an adapter to each rifle barrel you want to use a can on. It's not a huge amount of money, but it can add up, especially if you have an acute case of the poors.

Last edited:
For direct thread feel while protecting your barrel threads I really like the Area 419 hellfire system. For QD I think the Dead Air Keymount system is the best in the business for being fast as well as precise. I think I have spent a couple grand bouncing from different mounts and manufacturers, I’m finally happy with these two systems.

Bolt gun? Guessing accuracy is important to 'ya?

TBAC. And get the CB brake or flash hider mount, trust me. You can talk to Zak on here, he'll help you out. The brakes actually work better than direct thread with the TBAC stuff. More contact area than direct thread, just works better. Ultra 7 for best all around, Ultra 9 for best performance, period. Not to mention you'll be able to use this can on more than one rifle.

Elite Iron is another and he'll index the can TDC to your rifle. Amazing CS and great people too. Goes above and beyond like TBAC. Both great mfg.'s you can't go wrong with either for your application.

Those are my go-to's for performance, accuracy. But I believe in a quality mount over direct thread. Direct thread has higher chance of shooting loose IME.

OH! Almost forgot. KAC QDC. Again, not direct thread but best all around .308 can I have or have seen. Costly, but worth it IMO so worth mentioning. Surefire shit is good too but costly and you gotta get the right one.

You need to go with a TBAC Dominus CB and use the area 419 muzzle devices. This will allow you to use thread protector if I'm not mistaken and the CB brake when attaching the suppressor to the rifle.

I know I know, direct thread sounds like a better idea because you take off the suppressor and put on the thread protector. However, with the TBAC suppressors, you have a much more secure and consistent way of attaching the suppressor when using their CB brake.

You probably won't find a better suppressor that can offer as much sound suppression for its size as the TBAC Dominus, so that's what you should probably get...

You need to go with a TBAC Dominus CB and use the area 419 muzzle devices. This will allow you to use thread protector if I'm not mistaken and the CB brake when attaching the suppressor to the rifle.

I know I know, direct thread sounds like a better idea because you take off the suppressor and put on the thread protector. However, with the TBAC suppressors, you have a much more secure and consistent way of attaching the suppressor when using their CB brake.

You probably won't find a better suppressor that can offer as much sound suppression for its size as the TBAC Dominus, so that's what you should probably get...
I don't believe that the TBAC CB Brake and the Area 419 Hellfire system are interchangeable with each other. Both great systems but both need to stay in their own lane.

I don't consider TBAC's CB mounts to be 'quick detach'. I use them on nearly every CF rifle I own, the exceptions being one or two barrels that wear SureFire brakes for a 762 SOCOM that's mostly a safe queen these days. My 1st suppressor was an AAC SCAR-H, which used their ratchet QD mount, and was - at least in my experience with it - a POS. There's no comparison in accuracy & consistency between TBAC & AAC when it comes down to the nitty gritty - TBAC beats AAC like a drum. But I'm far from experienced with any other brands than these three - once I started shooting with TBAC's cans, I saw little or no reason to try anything else. The only reason I wound up with the SF SOCOM was that a local Class III/SOT had a SCAR 17, and wanted the AAC SCAR-H just to have the 'correct' can for his rifle. He offered a straight across trade for the NIB SOCOM (though I still had to pay for the tax stamp), and I was happy to take him up on the offer.

Thank you, Everyone for your input. I will probably then go with the CB. I had pretty much made up my mind on the TBAC Ultra 7 and needed to decide on the attachment for whenever I see it in stock, I would be ready to pull the trigger. But, the Dominus does look interesting so I'll look more into that. Though I am sure they will be even that much more difficult to get a hold of.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Thank you, Everyone for your input. I will probably then go with the CB. I had pretty much made up my mind on the TBAC Ultra 7 and needed to decide on the attachment for whenever I see it in stock, I would be ready to pull the trigger. But, the Dominus does look interesting so I'll look more into that. Though I am sure they will be even that much more difficult to get a hold of.

I was going for a ultra 7 but found the Dominus to offer more sound suppression for it's size. The dominus is also found and in stock in many places. I bought mine from Mile High. Call TBAC and they will locate one for you...

The 1st TBAC I bought was a 30BA that saw a lot of use on a DTA SRS that I'd done bbls in 6x47 Lapua & straight 284 for. The BA brake was an ugly sucker, but I guess it didn't look too out-of-place on a rifle like the SRS.. Anyway, I had just got my form 4 & stamp for the 30BA back from ATF when TBAC announced the new line of CB suppressors, so I ordered a 30CB9...had just received form 4 & stamp for it when they brought out the Ultra line - you see a pattern developing here? Anyway, I liked the Ultra 7 so much that my older BA & CB cans were just sitting in the safe - unloved & unused. When TBAC announced the Ultra re-core program, I sent the 30BA off to them. Got it back in just less than 3 weeks, and started playing with it to compare to the Ultra 7. No question that the Ultra baffle stack made the old 30BA into a new, much lighter & quieter can. I shoot a BR Varmint Silhouette match with a BAT 3L 6 Dasher in a Shehane Tracker stock, on a covered firing line. I used to have a Vias radial brake on this rifle, which was almost painful to shoot on that covered line. Switched to using the Ultra 9, and could not believe how much more pleasant it was - I could actually see my impacts because I wasn't blinking from the muzzle blast of the Vais brake. This past spring, I took this rifle down to my range and compared the groups it produced with both the Ultra 7 & Ultra 9, and found that it shoots quite a bit better with the lighter Ultra 7. Was a little surprised the weight made that much difference since it's a heavy Palma contour bbl, but subsequent testing on a couple of other rifles showed similar results. I may try a new Dominus sometime down the road, but am a little tired of chasing the 'latest/greatest' cans, especially since I'm so pleased with what I've got. In fact, I'm so pleased with the Ultra 7 that I'm thinking of ordering one with the 6.5mm aperture.

Ok, I just ordered the Dominus CB. It seems like it will be perfect. I'll look more into the 419 system as I think I would like still like to the option of simply a thread protector. Thank you again, all.

Ok, I just ordered the Dominus CB. It seems like it will be perfect. I'll look more into the 419 system as I think I would like still like to the option of simply a thread protector. Thank you again, all.

So if you look in the vid I posted above, they are talking about the adaptors for TBAC brakes/suppressors. If you look closely, the AR has what appears some sort of Area419 thread protector which I could only assume goes on their Area 419 adaptor. At least that's what I'm hoping because I too wanna be able to run my can on multiple rifles but don't want a brake on all. On my 223, I just want a thread protector.

I'm having a really tough time with this also. I have a Nomad-30 in jail that will spend time on a 16" 5.56 AR15, 8" 300BLK AR15, and 20" 6.5cm AR10. I would want a flash hider on the the 300BLK and 5.56 and a brake on the 6.5cm. Keymo would work, but I think I like the taper design better for weight and length. Plan B doesn't really have many options for muzzle devices. I think GA Plan A will be my best option. Thoughts?

I'm having a really tough time with this also. I have a Nomad-30 in jail that will spend time on a 16" 5.56 AR15, 8" 300BLK AR15, and 20" 6.5cm AR10. I would want a flash hider on the the 300BLK and 5.56 and a brake on the 6.5cm. Keymo would work, but I think I like the taper design better for weight and length. Plan B doesn't really have many options for muzzle devices. I think GA Plan A will be my best option. Thoughts?

If it is just AR's, then get the Key-Mo adapter and the muzzle devices you want. No point in reinventing the wheel.

I have the Plan "A" on a few cans and use the GA taper mounts on most of my rifles. I think they work incredibly well. I don't want to stir the pot by saying they're "better" than anyone in particular, but I could run nearly anything, and that's what I use. They make a ton of options for mounts, they are almost always in stock and they are very well made. I really like there new EZ brake that doesn't need to be timed to still look intelligent. It's also light and pretty inexpensive. They also have wrench flats that are the same size (3/4") as you would have on an AR armorers wrench. That makes it very easy to torque them in place. They also run a pretty good sale on their stuff a couple of times a year. I would say the Plan A and taper mount adapters has made my Omega a ton more enjoyable to use. If you have any questions hit me up and maybe I could help or take some pics or whatever.

I have the Nomad-30 and picked up the Plan A along with their minimalist brake on the promo they ran last year. Only advice I'd give is just to be aware that the minimalist brake is the only GA taper mount brake that will work in the Nomad due to its relatively short distance to the first baffle. I run my Nomad on the same arsenal as you except that my 6.5 is a bolt gun and I just wanted something a bit more effective than a single chamber brake.

I recently saw that GA just came out with the Plan A XL which allows the Nomad to run a wider selection of taper mount devices but it adds more length than I would personally prefer... Long story short I just this evening got a package with the new Energetic Armament TBAC adapter and will run Thunder Beast CB muzzle devices on everything. The adapter is sized to be able to use the CB brake in the Nomad with plenty of clearance to the first baffle. I think I'll be very very happy with this setup!

Last edited:
I have the Nomad-30 and picked up the Plan A along with their minimalist brake on the promo they ran last year. Only advice I'd give is just to be aware that the minimalist brake is the only GA taper mount brake that will work in the Nomad due to its relatively short distance to the first baffle. I run my Nomad on the same arsenal as you except that my 6.5 is a bolt gun and I just wanted something a bit more effective than a single chamber brake.

I recently saw that GA just came out with the Plan A XL which allows the Nomad to run a wider selection of taper mount devices but it adds more length than I would personally prefer... Long story short I just this evening got a package with the new Energetic Arms TBAC adapter and will run Thunder Beast CB muzzle devices on everything. The adapter is sized to be able to use the CB brake in the Nomad with plenty of clearance to the first baffle. I think I'll be very very happy with this setup!
Thanks. This is very helpful. I was leaning towards the Plan A because of the nice selection of muzzle devices. Then I realized I would have to run the XL to fit the muzzle devices I would want on the 16" 5.56 and 6.5cm. I will look at the TBAC adapter right now. How do you like the Nomad on these rounds since we have the same?

Does Thunder Beast make a 6.5 brake?

Does anyone know the weights on the TBAC brake and FH? The EA adapter is pretty light

Does anyone know the weights on the TBAC brake and FH? The EA adapter is pretty light
30 CB brake in OZ and Grams for better resolution. Don’t have the flash hider.

Attachments

• 534D6C87-56AB-4A7D-977C-59C3B428E73F.jpeg
    534D6C87-56AB-4A7D-977C-59C3B428E73F.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 149459DD-4AC8-49FF-9286-6550BFAB6FF7.jpeg
    149459DD-4AC8-49FF-9286-6550BFAB6FF7.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: NHR

I recently saw that GA just came out with the Plan A XL which allows the Nomad to run a wider selection of taper mount devices but it adds more length than I would personally prefer... Long story short I just this evening got a package with the new Energetic Armament TBAC adapter and will run Thunder Beast CB muzzle devices on everything. The adapter is sized to be able to use the CB brake in the Nomad with plenty of clearance to the first baffle. I think I'll be very very happy with this setup!
Have you had a chance to try the EA Adapter and TB muzzle devices on your Nomad yet? I ordered the adapter, a brake for my 6.5cm and Flash Hiders for my 8" 300blk and 16" 5.56. Unfortunately my Nomad will probably be in jail for another 5 months.

Downside is the expense of adding an adapter to each rifle barrel you want to use a can on. It's not a huge amount of money, but it can add up, especially if you have an acute case of the poors.

You can always just leave a muzzle device in the can and switch from rifle to rifle, essentially making it a direct thread until you can get more muzzle devices. So you can shoot multiple guns before getting all the muzzle devices. This concept is how Q explained to me that their suppressors are "modular" because they can be QD or leave the muzzle device in the can and now its DT, Voila!! our sealed QD cans are modular!!

You can always just leave a muzzle device in the can and switch from rifle to rifle, essentially making it a direct thread until you can get more muzzle devices. So you can shoot multiple guns before getting all the muzzle devices. This concept is how Q explained to me that their suppressors are "modular" because they can be QD or leave the muzzle device in the can and now its DT, Voila!! our sealed QD cans are modular!!
Have you shot your Nomad with the EA Adapter and Thunder Beast muzzle devices yet? Just install my devices over the weekend.

Stello1001 I am sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just got my Dominus CB out of jail and seem to be having a lot of difficulty attaching the Area 419 Hellfire suppressor mount (TBAC CB/Ultra model) to it. The suppressor mount won’t go deep enough into the suppressor to thread itself to the suppressor properly. I must be doing something very basic wrong but haven’t been able to figure out what it is. I have a message into the Area 419 folks but maybe you have a tip for me?

Attachments

• 822C4925-14BF-4D36-A757-DC0CFACBAC54.jpeg
    822C4925-14BF-4D36-A757-DC0CFACBAC54.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2C537BC1-F2BC-4B44-9E7F-10319E63B0CF.jpeg
    2C537BC1-F2BC-4B44-9E7F-10319E63B0CF.jpeg
    330.3 KB · Views: 65
Stello1001 I am sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just got my Dominus CB out of jail and seem to be having a lot of difficulty attaching the Area 419 Hellfire suppressor mount (TBAC CB/Ultra model) to it. The suppressor mount won’t go deep enough into the suppressor to thread itself to the suppressor properly. I must be doing something very basic wrong but haven’t been able to figure out what it is. I have a message into the Area 419 folks but maybe you have a tip for me?
UPDATE: Area 419 sent me another suppressor mount that fit like a glove.