• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which barrel contour?

Davidu

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2020
I’ve read all on line info regarding barrel contours vs what the rifle will be used for and believe I’ve narrowed choices down to three Bartlein barrel contours. My use is non competitive 600-1000 yd target shooting and PD hunting using a bench rest. 6.5CM or 6CM in a chassis.
I am interested in the forum member’s opinions on using the MTU, the M24, or the Heavy Varmint barrel?
Barrel length is 26” and the rifle will have a Dead Air MB and Nomad 30 suppressor.
There will be little of “carrying around” the rifle. Thanks for any advice.

I have a rifle with a Bartlein heavy varmint contour barrel, it weigh's right at 16 # with scope and it shoots really well, also have another rifle with a Bartlein #4 bull sporter barrel it weigh's about 12.5 # with scope and shoots just as well as the heavy varmint, this is the rifle I shoot the most, both in 6.5 CM you just cant go wrong with a Bartlein barrel.

If you’re not carrying it and using a chassis that has weights available, go big. I recently started used straight taper for rigs with weights I can use to balance it.

Mtu, M24......both close in weight.

The only time I wouldn’t go with largest contour possible is if carrying or no weights available to balance. Then you would use the correct contour that balances your rifle where you want.

Thanks for the input.
Ended with a M24 contour since it was a “stock” contour from Impact Precision

I have a couple of Bartlein #11 medium palmas on McMillan htg’s at 25”, a little nose heavy but can hunt with. I think a heavy Palma might be more strictly bench.

I’m have a 223 heavy Palma for a manners coming. Not sure how it’ll balance but I didn’t really have a chance to try multiple barrels for this set up yet