• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which barrel/load combo would you choose.

WDL

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2011
Somewhere, USA
I'm planning on replacing my shot out 223 wssm barrel with a 243 wssm. I want to shoot steel, groundhogs, and prairie dogs out to 1200 yards, so I have chosen the 105 A-Max.
I ran some scenarios on QuickLoad and I'm narrowed down to three choices. Twist will be 1:8.
1. 28" barrel, 58146 PSI, 3155 FPS.
2. 28" barrel, 59086 PSI, 3236 FPS.
3. 24" barrel, 53335 PSI, 3028 FPS.
Which would you choose and why.
Thanks in advance, Guys.

Re: Which barrel/load combo would you choose.

I am not a fan of the longer barrels such as the 28 inchers but for your purposes option 2 sounds the best. Hard to beat screaming fast bullets for long range prairie dog hunting.

I would do the longer barrel for velocity reasons, but chose the more accurate load rather that a certain speed. If youre gonna shoot at little things that are far away, id take the accuracy over the speed any day. You could use a 9tw barrel for the 105 amax and maybe for the other 105's as well if youre pushing them hard enough (like at wssm speeds).

At those speeds you might want a 8.5 twist. You don't need 8 to stabilize the 105s.

Split the difference and go 26".

Thanks Guys.
The velocities mentioned in my first post are calculations that SHOULD put me on an OBT accuracy node. So obviously, actual velocity could end up higher or lower.
Choice 3 was on node 5 which is slower than the first two choices and obviously less pressure. Going with a 26" barrel either yields too much pressure to get to node 4 or less pressure and a little less velocity than choice 3 when hitting node 5.
So I guess it boils down to whether I want more pressure, more velocity, and less barrel life or the opposite.

Should is the key word. That's all computer guesses. Way too many variables that don't get added into those programs. You won't know until you load it up for real so get the barrel length you feel will work best for you.

if you're not going to carry it around then who cares how long the barrel is, but if you'll be packing it around then i would go 26".

like stated earlier, speed isn't nearly as crucial as accuracy when it comes to extended ranges. you're dialing up anyway, so what's a few more clicks.

build the gun for what type of hunting/shooting you'll do most, and then find a load that shoots great. worry about speed a little later....

but that's just my opinion, so do what you will with it:)

After talking to Sightron (the gun has a 8-32x56 scope on it) today, I'm leaning toward the 24" and may even go to 22". Sightron says I will have enough range with the scope (40 MOA) if I start out with 100 yard zero at the -1 index mark. So I will start at 15 MOA below scope center and go up to 25 MOA above scope center.
I believe shorter barrels are more accurate due to less vibration, whip, harmonics, etc.