• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which BCG and bolt for LMT MWS?

cpatbay

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2011
California, USA
I am trying to get a spare set of BCG and bolt for my LMT MWS but LMT still does not sell these separately as parts. Have anyone tried successfully using other makes of BCG and bolt?

Re: Which BCG and bolt for LMT MWS?

Just talked to LMT and was told that the SR 25 type BCG and bolt will work. They have not tested the DPMS type so they don't recommend it. So, what are some of the good SR 25 type BCG and bolt?

a company named youngs or something makes back up bolts i think . i will do more research and let you know my buddy told me bout it a month ago or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldGuardShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a company named youngs or something makes back up bolts i think . i will do more research and let you know my buddy told me bout it a month ago or something. </div></div>

Thanks!

Also, does anyone know whether JP's JPBC-4A BCG+bolt will work? How does one check for compatibility?

The sr25 and mws bolts have a striking similarity. Not sure who makes the bolt for who.

Anyone has knowledge of which BCG (besides the unavailable LMT's) would work in the MWS?

I have been wondering the same thing. I've always kind of thought the Larue obr bolt might work. You can get those in a spare parts kit ordered by Larue.

That's the thing ... a good number of people have postured that the JP and LaRue OBR BCG would work. But no one actually has tried these in their MWS. There is also the question of whether we can mix and match bolt and bolt carrier or do we have to keep them as a set.

It has been reported on other boards that the JP Enhanced 308 bolt will work with the original MWS carrier. I think some have had problems with the LMT firing pin and cam pin working with the JP bolt.

So it is still no sure thing that the JP bolt will work if matches up with the LMT bolt carrier? What about just using the JP carrier and bolt as a set???

OK. This is going nowhere ... I might just buy the JP bolt carrier and bolt to try it out myself.

What are some of the things I need to check to be sure that this JP BCG works safely in my MWS?

I eagerly await your findings. I have an MWS. You win a lottery before you find a spare Knights bolt floating around. MWS and SR25 are so very similar.

Finally bought a JP JPBC-4 .308 Low Mass Carrier and JPEB-308 JP EnhancedBolt complete with firing pin as a set. Checked out headspace and went to the range this afternoon. Put it to the paces with both my 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 barrels. Everything worked out fine! So, this is going down as a success! So, almost a year later, I finally have an alternate BCG for my MWS ... I didn't try to mix and match the LMT and JP carrier and bolt though ...

Finally bought a JP JPBC-4 .308 Low Mass Carrier and JPEB-308 JP EnhancedBolt complete with firing pin as a set. Checked out headspace and went to the range this afternoon. Put it to the paces with both my 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 barrels. Everything worked out fine! So, this is going down as a success! So, almost a year later, I finally have an alternate BCG for my MWS ... I didn't try to mix and match the LMT and JP carrier and bolt though ...

Glad you got it all figure out for a spare. Did you ever find out if the bcg's from JP can be used in a Larue or Knights?

Can u please send me the link from where you got your bolt carrier and enhanced bolt for your LMT 308. ?

Thanks

Evan

Can u please send me the link from where you got your bolt carrier and enhanced bolt for your LMT 308. ?

Thanks

Evan

Thanks, I got another question regarding the need of a backup bolt and carrier for my LMT 308, how many rounds it takes to cause any damage considering a normal quality ammo used and the riffle kept clean ?

Thanks

I had the same question, to Gene at LMT and the answer is they have several with over 20k and the bolts are still fine. I got a similar answer from KAC . They use the same bolt. I am pretty sure KAC is now using the Gen two style bolt and the extractor from LMT is also going to be updated. You should be able to use a JP bolt and carrier, not sure about mixing the bolts and carriers. My friend and I have checked extensions from all know major patterns and any bolt should work as long as the carrier goes with it.

LaRue is a straight Armalite carrier and pattern for the bolt and carrier.

Glad you got it all figure out for a spare. Did you ever find out if the bcg's from JP can be used in a Larue or Knights?

Well Gene did do some design work for Armalite in the 90s and the SR-25 was the basis of the Armalite AR-10, so it makes sense...

If you're talking a .308, I've used a DPMS-brand BCG and an AIM Surplus BCG without issue.

However, neither were good when I switched over to a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. For that, I ended up using an Aero Precision BCG, which I've been happy with.

Has anyone used a JP carrier with an LMT bolt? Or is this just a bad idea? I have read as a general rule of thumb not to mix bolt and Carrier manufacturers in large frame.... What do you think?

Last edited:
I’ve got a .308 JP HP bolt in a LMT carrier. Both are top shelf. Barrel is a Stainless Proof 20” .260 +2 gas, Mega Maten upper/lower. It runs perfectly.

I’ve got a .308 JP HP bolt in a LMT carrier. Both are top shelf. Barrel is a Stainless Proof 20” .260 +2 gas, Mega Maten upper/lower. It runs perfectly.

Well I just confirmed last night that using a LMT bolt cam pin and firing pin with the JP LMOS Carrier caused my MWS to slam fire upon release of the charging handle. Bummer.