• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which Bolt Action Rifle Should I Buy? 2012

Keember

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2012
CA
I'm looking to buy a Bolt Action Rifle. I was going to buy a Kimber Model 8400 Police Tactical, but my friend got one, so I want to get a different brand. Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated. BTW I'm looking for rifle brands except for remington. Thanks everyone.

Re: Which Bolt Action Rifle Should I Buy? 2012

You should just buy a Barret .50 caliber.

Stupid question gets stupid answers. You'll need to provide us background information.

What do you want to do with said rifle?

Do you intend to hunt? Target shoot? Competition?

What is your budget?

What is your experience?

Why "looking for rifle brands except for remington"?

Accuracy International AE MKIII-----Or Sako TRG...If you don't want to spend that kind of money FNH has plenty to choose from..

Depending on what caliber you are wanting, I personally would be getting a Savage LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. Heavy barrel, HS Precision stock, super nice target trigger... awesome rifle right out of the box.

DK

Well Tylerw. Apparently I can't buy a Barret .50 Cal in California.
Stupid remarks get dumb replies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keember</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Tylerw. Apparently I can't buy a Barret .50 Cal in California.
Stupid remarks get dumb replies. </div></div>

Exactly, no profile filled out, no explanation of experience, no explanation of expectations, or needs....you want advice you have to give information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keember</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Tylerw. Apparently I can't buy a Barret .50 Cal in California.

Exactly, no profile filled out, no explanation of experience, no explanation of expectations, or needs....you want advice you have to give information. </div></div>

Well actually I've gotten plenty of advice on this already, (read the whole post), but I'm not trying to start some weird Internet fight, so chill out partner.

The advice doesn't take into accounts anything that is unique to meet your needs, does it? It ranges from $4000 rifles to a Remington, which you specifically stated you don't want.

Answer the questions I posed and I promise, you'll get much better advice.

[qDITTOuote=ddelagarza]Rem 5r 308 [/quote]DITTO< DITTO< WHY NOT YOU LIKE?VERY GOOD GUN> LOVE YOU LONG TIME!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keember</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Tylerw. Apparently I can't buy a Barret .50 Cal in California.

But you can get the .416!

<span style="font-weight: bold">me</span>: "I'm looking for a new car. My friend just bought a Chevy so I don't want a Chevy. What should I buy?"
<span style="font-weight: bold">car salesman</span>: "How about this bright yellow Prius! You'll love it!"

He's right. Is that how you would shop for a car? Provide info with your questions and you'll get legitimate responses.

You're new here so I strongly encourage you watch this video(and sub cuz it's good stuff) so you understand where we're coming from. He is a well respected member here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgGcsLRn7pY&feature=g-user-u

Tyler asked a bunch of relevant questions that you really need to answer before ANYONE can offer sound advice.

Are you hunting squirrel or cape buffalo?

Are you looking for the best bang for your buck, or do you have deep pockets?

Little info on what you planning on using it for would spare you suggestions like get a .50 cal or a slightly used tank.

Ok here we go. I'll answer some of those questions if it makes it easier.

Ill use it for hunting, competition, target shooting.
I've got no budget.
.308 Calibur

And not Remington because I don't respect a company that won't recall faulty rifles, even if the new rifles are ok. Only Remington I use is the 870 they issue. Thanks everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keember</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill use it for hunting, competition, target shooting.
I've got no budget.
.308 Calibur </div></div>

.308 + money no object = <span style="font-weight: bold">TacOps</span>

I think Tac Ops is based on a Remington 700 if I remember correctly.

Buy Howa 1500 .308, very light bolt action for target practice, for hunting and can be use in competition.

I can't recommend you to buy AI coz you can't afford it :p

AI-AX or GAP Gladius? Oh wait, the GAP Gladius uses a 700 footprint action.

AIAE MkIII, Sako, Tac-Ops or a GAP

Can it be a Remington Footprint action? If you dont want a Rem footprint or Rem action get a AIAE or Sako. Or you can get a GAP built with a Badger Action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keember</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think Tac Ops is based on a Remington 700 if I remember correctly. </div></div>

A blueprinted Rem. 700 action from TacOps is arguably as good or better than ANY custom action.

Buy a Savage 10. It's OK out of the box and there are endless aftermarket parts for it.

I don't think his question is too bad... He did say he was going to buy a Kimber 8400 tactical which means he wants something like it just not exactly like his buddies rifle...

AIAW or AIAE MKIII and be done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MagnumSecurity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to beat a Savage. Made in USA, great out of box accuracy and great customer support. </div></div>

+1 on that. I went with a 10PC in .308, love it.

If you like the kimber action then get an FN SPR A5m - about 2k and you just need a scope and rings. Rifle comes with a 1moa guarantee and most shoot around .5 moa groups with match ammo.

get an ai ax, since you have no budget. You'll one up the shit out of your buddy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW or AIAE MKIII and be done. </div></div>

+1

A good shooting buddy of mine just bought a MKIII and it is awesome! Stock fits well, it shoots great and will fill pretty much all roles you listed unless you are spot and stalk hunting. In which case it may be a bit on the heavy side. If that is the case go for one of the GAP or TAC Ops rifles previously mentioned and pay attention to the weight.

On the other hand I have an FN SPR A1 that I have been very happy with (needs a cheek piece). For less that 1/3 the AI it is a solid choice as well.

Jeremy45

If budget truly isn't an issue, take a look at the AX or AW rifles. They'll work regardless of where you're at, they're mass produced switch barrels and they are just friggin' lasers.

If you're interested in some of the AI options, email, call or PM us and we'll be happy to help you out.

-Sean

check out the APA Paragon. 7200 bucks with an optic. Guaranteed 1/4 MOA. Available in .308 or .223 No expense spared in parts. Should shoot just as well as an AI

Stupid remarks get dumb replies.</div></div>

Swish.....nothing but net!

Awesome reply!!! So many around here just won't answer the questions posted. Always glad to see someone stand up for them selves.

I don't own one myself but check out American Precision Arms. The owner Jared Joplin will build what you want. Just tell him your price range and what you want to do with it and he'll tell you what he can do.

Be sure to keep that attitude if you're going to hang out around here, most of these guys are good to go, but a few are just plain rude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recondo84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keember</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well Tylerw. Apparently I can't buy a Barret .50 Cal in California.
Stupid remarks get dumb replies.</div></div>

Swish.....nothing but net!

Awesome reply!!! So many around here just won't answer the questions posted. Always glad to see someone stand up for them selves.

Be sure to keep that attitude if you're going to hang out around here, most of these guys are good to go, but a few are just plain rude. </div></div>

Really?

Tyler listed some questions that really needed to be answered to provide accurate feedback. The way that he worded the post was identical to the car salesman analogy.

I'd say give mile high a call and let them set you up with an AI of some sorts. Should do whatever you ask of it, and do it well.

Get the Kimber in a different color...?? My buddies and I shoot almost exactly the same gear because we have all tested it together and we have come to the same conclusions. For me its about whats best, I'm not concerned with who else has one. But if being different is still what you want I'd look at an AI.

Thanks for the help everybody. Pretty funny back and forth at some points. Haha

And thanks slowyellow. I thought it was pretty good too!

And just so you all know, I left this question pretty vague so that I could hear a number of different opinions on to what I should get, from your perspective, not my standards. Now that you have all pitched in, I've got many different rifle choices to choose from, and other people can refer to this list to see what they would like to buy. Thanks all and be safe.