• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which brake?

Yote Klr

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2014
I'm building a 300wm and need a 5/8-24 brake. I'll be shooting 200 or 200.20X Berger Hybrids ( whichever shoots best)
. Right now I'm considering; Precision Armament m4-72, PVA Jet blast, or Surefire Procomp 762.
The muzzle diameter is .7" and prefer Black.
Anyone use any of these, or have a suggestion?

PVA is a great choice but get the Shockwave model for the magnum. It's an excellent brake. @bohem can answer any specific questions you had.

Area 419, APA and my favorite Terminator brakes.

Reactions: Yote Klr
Check out Levi Reed Customs, he has numerous videos on his FB page.

Running the APA Lil'B and it is working great on the 300PRC....roars like a lion...kicks like a kitty. Maybe some of it is due to a 22lb rifle...but my 300PRC kicks like an AR.

However, on my next brake I'll go with the 419 Hellfire self timing with a suppressor adapter.

Cadex MX1... don't worry about size, it's bulky but built for heavy recoiling rifles. You won't even know you're shooting a magnum with it

The best brake will always be #2. Get a suppressor and be#1
86555764-FBB7-4B7F-A53A-EED9A2151E37.gif

I really like the adjustable ports on top of the gen3.

Do Heathen breaks have a little less noise and concussion as there advertising says. I have an Area 419 now, it is very good at controlling recoil, but very loud.

Check out "muzzle brake and more's" web site where he compares his brakes against others mentioned here.** I think he test a 300 WM or something just as big.
** something I don't see other brake makers do

but but but...if it is less blasty...how do you annoy everyone around you? :)

Take a look at Tromix Linear Compensators. I use on 6.5CM and 308. I had trouble with the blast from the Precision Armament compensators disturbing my LabRadar ( and getting it dirty ). Tromix Linear works fine and directs most of the blast forward.

Thanks Steelhead
Here’s video of the Heathen on my 260.

you can observe the vegetarian disturbance and gas pattern.
I had a MBM beast on it before, it worked well but was nasty and had a lot of vertical bias that was disturbing my recoil impulse pushing the barrel downward when I didn’t need it to.

Recoil with the Heathen is all inline with barrel and does not disturb my vision through the scope upon recoil.

Reactions: Krob95 and Tono
Do Heathen breaks have a little less noise and concussion as there advertising says. I have an Area 419 now, it is very good at controlling recoil, but very loud.

Yes they do, check out the orientation of the ports. The first main port is perpendicular to the bore, while the last two are slightly raked back on the Heathen. The majority of the gas that exits the brake will leave the main port, and what gas is left exiting the last two ports will be disrupted by the gas exiting the main port.

Contrast that to some of the other main brakes, such as APA and Area 419 (I own both), where the ports are all directed back to the shooter. This definitely makes blast and concussion more noticeable at the shooter position.

All brakes are going to be somewhat obnoxious to shoot, but the Heathen does a better job then most at mitigating blast and concussion to the shooter.

As far as noise, I don't have a decibel meter to quantify that. It makes sense to me that it may be slightly less with the Heathen, but I bet it's minimal at best. All brakes are going to be loud - suppressors are a better bet if you place more value on noise reduction, while still reducing blast/concussion and recoil.

Insite Arms Heathen (first main port perpendicular to shooter):

muzzle2018-2.png

Area 419 Hellfire (ports all directed back to shooter):

p_100029550_1.jpg

I'm building a 300wm and need a 5/8-24 brake. I'll be shooting 200 or 200.20X Berger Hybrids ( whichever shoots best)
. Right now I'm considering; Precision Armament m4-72, PVA Jet blast, or Surefire Procomp 762.
The muzzle diameter is .7" and prefer Black.
Anyone use any of these, or have a suggestion?
Great advice and information here,,,as usual. Also you can look at PRB (Precision Rifle Blog). lots of info on the site.

Reactions: Yote Klr
Another Heathen recommendation here. Works well for the recoil and just looks beautiful. I use the 3 port model.

Call Harley at Insite and chat with him. Or reach out via FB messenger. I've got a 4 port and a 3 port en-route to me now, but he had five ports on hand when I was chatting with him last week. Not sure if they were all spoken for but he was very helpful.

This.

They are being made now, I have a 4 port being made for me for my .300NM.

Reach out to Insite and they'll get you hooked up.

APA Lil Bastard on my 300 WM. Shot 100 rounds of 190 grain in a morning, no problem. All the brake I need (5/8x24).

Has anyone given the 4AW 4 port brake a shot? Curious about your impressions.

In the near future I will be buying a brake for my 338 Lapua. I will be using a Fat Bastard or Area 419. I dont think you can go wrong with either.