• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Which bullet...for F-TR in 308?

What kind of distance? Regular .308 Win chamber, or something throated long for heavies?
Regular. 26" Stuteville barrel 1:10 M24 Impact action. 600 and 1000 yards. Top rifle.
20201201_212532.jpg

For long range You need to see how long 185 jugs will seat. They will probably work. Don’t look at F class load data on the boards, it will be too hot seated As deep as you will have to seat them. Do you want to probably run around 43 to 43.5 grains of varget. Also don’t pay attention to MVs. We’re talking about velocities with 30 inch barrels years is going to be 100 or 200 ft./s slower.

For mid range the 185s are great, but 155s work really well too.

you may have to take off the brake. They aren’t allowed in F class.

For those of you suggesting 185s and heavier pills, those in the 200 grain range, what powder is getting them up to good speed? I know Rl17 is good for that but isn't it very temp sensitive as well? I know there is a very old thread around where someone mentioned he would use Rl17 to get those 208 AMAX bullets at 2650 ish from a 20" tube. Has someone now found a more temp stable powder that can push the heavies?

For those of you suggesting 185s and heavier pills, those in the 200 grain range, what powder is getting them up to good speed? I know Rl17 is good for that but isn't it very temp sensitive as well? I know there is a very old thread around where someone mentioned he would use Rl17 to get those 208 AMAX bullets at 2650 ish from a 20" tube. Has someone now found a more temp stable powder that can push the heavies?

I have an RL17 load, RL16 load, and Norma URP load for 208 eld-m's. 24", all from 2620-2680 fps, and all 3.045 or so. Ballistics are the same as a 6.5 creed running a 147 eld-m, but they are single load in a short action.

Reactions: stello1001
Which should I use?
For 600yds: Any of the above, and maybe consider the least recoil since you will be firing at least 66 (+) rounds for the day.
For 1K, take the 168's off your list but still consider the effects of a full day's recoil on your ability (and scores).

As mentioned, you may need to remove the brake. However, some clubs will allow brakes under a "gentlemen's agreement" but won't record scores to the NRA. Have fun and look at it as a great learning opportunity!

Last edited:
I have an RL17 load, RL16 load, and Norma URP load for 208 eld-m's. 24", all from 2620-2680 fps, and all 3.045 or so. Ballistics are the same as a 6.5 creed running a 147 eld-m, but they are single load in a short action.

Looks like i may need to find some RL16 then. I've got some H4350 and varget but I'm not sure varget will get me the same speeds as RL16 with the real heavies.

43.3g Varget and 200 Hybrid was a popular load. Since then many have switched to the 200-20X.
Speed around 2630-2670 depending on temp etc.

Granted you need the freebore and you'll need to work up to what your components can handle safely, but I'm 45-47 grains of rl16, rl17, URP. I get 4 fires before trimming, and haven't tossed any yet for fat pockets or other issue (oldest is on 7th firing). I have some fresh ADG standing by, but the brass from the factory Fed GMM has been great.

Getting ready to shoot my first ever F-tr on March 13th at Red Castle gun club in Tulsa. Projectiles I have are 168hr smk, 175gr smk, 190gr smk, 220 gr smk, 178 eld.

Which should I use?
Gun, barrel, twist rate do you have?

I got two 24” tactical guns, Kreiger barrels. Both shoot 44 grains Varget 175 SMK, 210M, Lapua brass, seated-0- right at the lands. Both shoot 1/8 moa @ 2680 fps.

185 Juggernaut, 43.8 Varget, 210m Lapua brass, .018” jump. Hammers all day.

WARNING
To the OP and anyone reading this looking for ideas for loading in a mag length 308. When I first came to this forum about 10 years ago and got my first 30 inch barrel for F Class I thought I must’ve had the slowest barrel that Krieger had ever made. There are more overstated MVs and load data here than you can shake a stick at.

I strongly suggest that you do not try to load anything heavier than a 185 in MAG length 308. The 200s are for throated out single feed setup.

F class is a great game and I started out playing it with a 24 inch barrel but trying to achieve velocities that we get from a 30 from a 24 or 26 is not a good plan. we have all been down the road with powders. There is a reason that one of four powders is used in 95%+ of the rifles on the line at an F class match. (Varget, H4895, N150, N140 in no order). They provide The consistency necessary to shoot half moa vertical at 1000 yards.

Shooting your rifle at 1000 yards in an F class match will teach you tons about your skills, and the capabilities of your platform. trying to push your platform to a place where it doesn’t belong will not help you, and will result in bad performance on the target, and may break something.

there are two people posting on this thread that are or have been members of the US F class team and one is also member of the Savage team we’ve done this. We have been on the podium at world and national level events. The advice we are giving is solid.

I’ve had my arse whipped by 155.5s at 600 yards before, then again Ive taken a few wins with 90vlds at mid range too.

@ mid range the 155.5, the 155smk[2156] or the 185 jug would be a great choice, and the 185 works to 1000.

WARNING
To the OP and anyone reading this looking for ideas for loading in a mag length 308. When I first came to this forum about 10 years ago and got my first 30 inch barrel for F Class I thought I must’ve had the slowest barrel that Krieger had ever made. There are more overstated MVs and load data here than you can shake a stick at.

I strongly suggest that you do not try to load anything heavier than a 185 in MAG length 308. The 200s are for throated out single feed setup.

F class is a great game and I started out playing it with a 24 inch barrel but trying to achieve velocities that we get from a 30 from a 24 or 26 is not a good plan. we have all been down the road with powders. There is a reason that one of four powders is used in 95%+ of the rifles on the line at an F class match. (Varget, H4895, N150, N140 in no order). They provide The consistency necessary to shoot half moa vertical at 1000 yards.

Shooting your rifle at 1000 yards in an F class match will teach you tons about your skills, and the capabilities of your platform. trying to push your platform to a place where it doesn’t belong will not help you, and will result in bad performance on the target, and may break something.

there are two people posting on this thread that are or have been members of the US F class team and one is also member of the Savage team we’ve done this. We have been on the podium at world and national level events. The advice we are giving is solid.

Great post XTR

This is a good reason to build a long range 308 on a long action. Then you can eject a live round and feed from a mag... Even if its single feed only according to rules for F Class, the rifle can still be used for other things if its a repeater.

The long action is a few ounces heavier, so keep that in mind. You can use a light plastic mag single shot substitute loading block to reduce the mag weight.

I've never felt that a rifle needs to be single shot to max out accuracy as long as the action has an integral pic rail to keep the action from deflecting under the weight of the barrel.

Worst case is actions like a Rem 700 where the metal is minimal throughout the ejection port area. A Rem 700 might be stiff enough as I've had some very accurate ones, but I feel better about it when the actions are solid across the top for added stiffness.

Same train of thought applies to a 223. Many actions are not designed to feed rounds that are long enough to get interesting with a 223. same for the mags. A Rem 700 SA is plenty long enough for the 223, but Accurate Mags need to be milled out to feed the long rounds, if its a repeater. I had a Sako years ago that was way too short for the rounds I fired in the deep chamber.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Due to availability I'll be shooting either the 178gr eld or 175gr Smk. Either Varget or Rl15.

I've got a pretty decent F class shooter taking me. He was on the US rifle team at one point. James Laney.

if you are shooting at 600 the 175SMK is ok, nobody uses it but it’s OK. If you are shooting to 1000 yards it’s a boat, it takes five minutes more elevation to get there than bullets with a modern design. use the 178 if you’re going to go long range.