• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which bullet in M-1 Garand?

army54b02

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2011
I recently bought a CMP M-1. I will be reloading for it and was wanting opinions on which bullet to use and what powder.

I was advised by a trusted friend to use 150grn bullets and a medium burning powder. I currently have IMR 4064 and Varget on hand. I believe Varget is a fast powder, but I do not know about IMR 4064. The lightest bullets I have on hand are 155grn SMKs. The local store is out of 150grn SMKs and Midway has them backordered.

Re: Which bullet in M-1 Garand?

Either powder will work in your Garand. IMR 4064 is used for alot of match loads as well as IMR and H4895. Bullets 175 and lower work great.http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/2579 Be sure to full length size cases and insure primers are seated flush or below case head.

Why wouldn't neck sizing only work? I have both a full length and neck die for all my calibers. I neck size only (after an initial full) in my bolt guns. This is my first semi-auto rifle I will be loading for.

Service rifles have floating firing pins. You want to be sure the round enters the chamber with no hangups. Chamber a round and then extract it. You will see the primer indented by the firing pin. ARs are the same. You should always full length size for these rifles. http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf
Read this article on reloading for the match M14.

Thanks for the info!!! It makes sense about full sizing.

The 168grn and 175grn bullets don't put too much pressure one the system?

No Sir. The match ammo for the Garand used a 173 gr bullet. The powder is the key in the garand. You must stay in the same range as the 4895, 4064. The NRA publication on the M1 suggests using powders faster than IMR4320 and bullets of 180 grain weight or lighter.

I'm about to start loading my first rounds now for Garand and 03 use. My data comes from Hornady/Lyman and other published resources as well as discussion from match shooters on the CMP and Culvers Shooting Page forums.

I'll be testing 3 projectiles 168 AMAX, 168 Hornady BTHP, and 168 SMK.

I'll be testing three powders IMR 4895, IMR 4064 and Varget.

My Loads are going to be

Once fired KA 73 military brass, trim to 2.484, full length size, swage the primer pockets to remove crimp, check my brass on a Dillon case gauge.

OAL - 3.30

IMR 4895/Varget - 46.5 grn

IMR 4064 - 47 grn (going to research this further I may go to 47.5)

My goal from reading data is between 2600-2700 fps.

Win LRP set below flush

I'll be loading on a Dillon S1050. I'm expecting I may have issues running the stick powder in a Dillon measure.

Crimp only to remove whatever bell was required to set the projectile. The outside diameter at the neck is equal to .308 + (brass thickness x 2). I'm not squeezing the brass into the projectile. There are no crimp rings on my chosen projectiles.

Anyone see any errors in my loads I'd appreciate some added advice.

To OP I provide this to you as a means to cross check with whatever established data you are using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm about to start loading my first rounds now for Garand and 03 use. My data comes from hornady/Lyman and other published resources as well as discussion from match shooters on teh CMP and Culvers Shooting Page forums.

I'll be testing 3 projectiles 168 AMAX, 168 Hornady BTHP, and 168 SMK.

I'll be testing three powders IMR 4895, IMR 4064 and Varget.

My Loads are going to be

Once fire KA 73 brass, trim to 2.484, full length size, swage the primer pockets to remove crimp, check my brass on a Dillon case gauge.

OAL - 3.30

4895/Varget - 46.5 grn

4064 - 47 grn (going to research this further I may go to 47.5)

My goal from reading data is between 2600-2700 fps.

Win LRP set below flush

I'll be loading on a Dillon S1050. I'm expecting I may have issues running the stick powder in a Dillon measure.

Crimp only to remove whatever bell was required to set the projectile. The outside diameter at the neck is equal to .308 + (brass thickness x 2). I'm not squeezing the brass into the projectile. There are no crimp rings on my chosen projectiles.

Anyone see any errors in my loads I'd appreciate some added advice.

To OP I provide this to you as a means to cross check with whatever established data you are using. </div></div>

Shouldn't be any bell to remove?

My Garand loads:

147-155gr bullets, 50.0gr IMR-4064.
165-168gr bullets, 48.0gr IMR-4064.
173-175gr bullets, 47.0gr IMR-4064.

Commercial cases and CCI-200 or Win WLR primers. Be certain primers seat flush or maybe a tad recessed. This info corresponds with the NRA M1 Reprint, and should be treated as max loads. MilSpec cases should have starting charges reduced by at least 1.0gr.

I haven't loaded bullets heavier than the 155 for the Garand in over a decade. When I was shooting the Garand in N/M Comp, my distances were limited to 300yd, and for that distance, the 147-155gr bullets were clearly adequate. Heavier bullets don't work all that much better, and the added recoil can get heavy in a hurry.

Greg

"Shouldn't be any bell to remove?"

The swage station expands the neck slightly. Im just collapsing it back at the crimp die.

I think I may move the swage operation to my case prep head and this way the necks will stay pristine from the trim/size die. I think with a boat tail bullet the opening of the neck is unnecessary and perhaps not beneficial.

I've been shooting Garands a long time and got hooked on the M72 when I was running sniper schools for the Guard using M1C/D's.

After I retired and ran out of my "stash" I tried to come up with something that matches the M72.

I found that 47 grns of 4895, pulled 173s and 175 SMK equal the velocity of the M72 stuff. (Fed Match primers and LC M72 brass). When I run them through the chronagrph I can't tell the difference.

BUT

Though a tad bid difference in velocity, I've found 46 grns of 4895 is more accurate then 47 in my Garand, 1903a3 and 1917 Eddystone.

So I'd tweek your loads a bit for accuracy.

As a side note: 4895 was designed for the military '06 round.

I use 150 Pro-Hunters and Gamekings almost exclusively in my M1. Have never had a problem. A buddy of mine has run probably close to a thousand Pro-hunters through his with zero problems as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">147gr FMJ </div></div>

You got something to sell?? About 15 useless posts out of you in the last 1/2 hour....

Widener's has M2 bullets if interested.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8979&dir=278|281|1081|1161

Kraig WY:

Which 4895 are you referring to? I would presume IMR, but I hate to presume anything in reloading...