• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which chassis for Remi milspec 5R

Danco411

Arclight Precision
Minuteman
Hey guys,

I just picked up a Remington 5R in stainless with a 24" barrel with 11 degree target crown. I promptly sold the floor plate and HS stock. I'll probably sell the X-mark trigger too. I want a killer build that can punch paper at my local 100 yard range and shoot long range steel out to 1K. Mostly firing from the bench or off the bipod or my Bulls Bag. I have a Harris 9-13. So a little help from the experts.

These are the chassis' I'm considering

ACIS 2.0 (or AX if I can swing it financially)
XLR Industries Tactical Evlolution
McCree
JP Enterprise
TAC21

I sold my floor plate so I definately need a DBM with magazine.

Which one and why? My budget is really 1K for the chassis and accessories.

Glass. I have 1K budgeted for glass. I'm thinking

Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD
Weaver 5-20x15 Tactical
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accupoint mildot

Any others under 1K? I have a EGW 20 MOA base which is not the greatest. Some of the chassis models have a long rail so I could use my Larue 105. I have a set of Burris Tactical rings which are good but not great. Do I need to spend the coin on some Seekins or Badger rings or put more toward glass?

Triggers. Which one is the best under $200? I've been a huge Geiselle fan for AR's although I have had a few Timneys which I liked. Is Timney the way to go? How about Jewel, Shilen or Rifle Basix?

Do I really need a 10 round mag or will a couple 5 rounders be better? Is my Harris good enough to do I spring for an Atlas with a monopod?

Finally I do Cerakote and Gunkote. The SS barrel and action will be easy. Any cool color combinations for the chassis, barrel and action? I'm thinking Gunkote's new black chrome for the barrel and reciever with Cerakote's Titanium or Tungsten for the bolt and chassis. I also really like Cerakotes Burnt Bronze which I did my Mega Maten in. That is awesome with black. Thoughts?

Lots of questions I know but this is my first foray into bolt guns. I've been an autoloader guy with alot of .308 AR experience so I like the modular chasis. I basiclly have another $2500 to spend outside the action and barrel which I already have.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Re: Which chassis for Remi milspec 5R

I have a McCree and like it and have handled a AICS and it was ok but its like optics... your preference may be different. I like the McCree because its price point is less (compared to some) while still being fully adaptable to the user and while not a light weight stock it’s one of the lighter chassis out there while not compromising strength.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danco411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Triggers. Which one is the best under $200? I've been a huge Geiselle fan for AR's although I have had a few Timneys which I liked. Is Timney the way to go? How about Jewel, Shilen or Rifle Basix? </div></div>

I have used Rifle Basix but upon getting a Timney, that is all I use now. I like the design and feel, again all subjective.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danco411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I really need a 10 round mag or will a couple 5 rounder’s be better? Is my Harris good enough to do I spring for an Atlas with a monopod? </div></div>

Short answer, no. But if you are competing it may be an advantage on both of these in some cases.

On the mono pod... there use is limited and I don’t need one or use one but some people apparently like them or they would not exist.

Out of these three:
Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP MRAD
Weaver 5-20x15 Tactical
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accupoint mildot

I only have firsthand experience with the Vortex PST 4-16 and I have been very happy with it and Vortex in general as whenever I have had an issue with their product they have been super quick to respond and/or fix the issue and they support us shooters by making improvements to their line for us (look up scott@vortex here on the hide) and supporting matches.

I'm leaning hard to the MaCree too because I can get it unfinished "in the white" for $575 ready to Cerakote.

I also am a bit impatient. I don't want to wait 12 weeks! I really like the XLR but I hear their wait time can be long.

XLR is an awesome chassis. You won't look back after buying one.

Search for the XLR picture thread to see the hundreds of XLR pictures posted.

Rock Solid Stocks is one you should check out. He's on Facebook, and his number is 214-215-2344, name is Todd. His new folder is supposed to be pretty slick., but there isn't a ton of info out there other than a recent review by CS tactical and pictures floating around.

+100000000 for Rock Solid
http://wiebad.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21&products_id=46
Todd is a shooter who is extremely hard on his gear, if he can't break it chances are its built for a lifetime, he started working on his design well before all the others and I consider them copy cats, except the RS is a single piece of T6, nothing to come loose, the folder is pretty slick too, the stock also has mounting holes for NV rail on the front.

I went with the XLR.
It is an awesome product, but you can't go wrong with the McCree either.

Your scope choice:
You have two mixed scopes (mil/moa) and one that is available as mil/mil or moa/moa

Don't use a mixed scope.

Look at the Weaver 3-15x or the PST 4-16. In my experience, glass has been better on the weaver when compared to the PST.
Both track well, both have good reticles. PST has more options and better reticles.

I was pretty much in your shoes about 6 months ago. Switched over to a 5r bolt after shooting nothing but gas guns. I ended up going with a aics 2.0 with viper skins because it gave me a similar feel to the gas gun I had just sold.
2ry0gtj.jpg

+1 for the Weaver, I have a 3-15x50 in ffp, and they are amazing. Also have a Vortex, and have compared the one you are talking about. I'd look hard at the Trijicon, as I used to have one in smaller pwr, but was great glass. Midway has some 3-15 ZS NF for closeout @ $1580 (less than $1600) Only prob is I don't care for the 1000yd ret.

I went with the Xlr and love it. You may want to give Kyle a call and inquire about the new carbon chassis that they have.

If you squint, this is what your 5R will look like in a OD Green McRee.... LOL!
Great chassis!

McReeChassis005.jpg

It's probably a good idea to try some of these chassis out first in person just to get a feel of it. As practical and "Cool" as Chassis are, it is still not for Everyone. For some it is hard to beat the good old fashion ergonomics of Stocks like Manners and Mcmillan or for the lower end, the Bell & Carlson Stocks.

As for the scope I'd also recommend Bushnells as well. For the Money you pay for a Vortex Viper PST FFP (Around $1,000)you'll be in the Ball park of a Elite HDMR with the G2 Reticles.

I have 3 Bushnells and 2 PST FFPs, personally I think the Glass on the Bushnells are better. Made in Japan, for the money the quality can't be beat.

Here's a Deal you might want to think about, these goes for about $1K new, so this is a heck of a used price.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3705139#Post3705139

I've had a McRee for close to a year, works great and easy to adjust. It has a sling stud so the Harris fits easily.

Check out the Eliseo RT chassis systems as well.. They are top notch and Gary is a wonderful person. I have one on the way.. He is currently making some lowers and I should have my new chassis installed next week sometime. AR-15 ergonomics in a bolt gun.. Awesomeness!!

For glass, I was torn between the Bushnell HDMR with G2DMR reticle and the Leupold Mk4.. I went with the Bushnell and I am extremely happy with it.

Why don't you go $1500-2k on glass, then buy a new stock down the road
smile.gif
I think that would be a decent investment... Love my AI stocks, though.

Go with a Manners T4-A Mini-chassis, I had a McRees, all the pistol grip stocks are harder to manipulate than a traditional style. The weight distribution and thermal conductivity can all be issues too. The Manners has all the advantages of bolt-in-go as the others but none of the drawbacks. I have 3, one folder (On my Surgeon 6.5x47) one 90% carbon (On my .308 5R) and a standard fill (On my .223 SPS-Tac).
And since I had them cut for both style actions I can swap them at will depending on the match or style of shooting for a given day.

McRees....cheaper than AICS chassis and has all the features you would need/want

what about the Eberlestock chassis?

I like the AICS & AX, XLR Carbon and KRG W3. As for a trigger my easy pick for the money is a Timney or even just a nicely set-up Rem 40X trigger.

Try and physically look / see / feel / touch as many as you possibly can. If not do as much looking as possible, choose what fits your need & options, weight requirements if any, budget and availability if you're in a time crunch.

your 5r will look like this if u get a ax chassis..i love mine...

5r.jpeg

Well I've been around the block so to speak. I spoke with the XLR guy - 8-10 weeks with 50% down. I spoke with the Rock Solid guy - maybe 4 weeks. I really want a folder so the Rock Solid is out. Looked at the Wiskey 3. Nice but also a long wait. It's all coming down to wait time. I hate to wait!!!!! I ordered a MCree online today along with a mag, rear bag and rail piece all for $700 shipped. They were all in stock. Best part it will come in raw alumininum. Now what color to Cerakote? Thinking burnt bronze.

I have also decided I do not want a FFP scope. I will mainly do bench shooting at paper and long range steel. I'm good with the SFP so that's what I want to stick with. This knocks out the Weaver and Bushnell Tacticals. I've been searching all over for a SFP in 3 or 4 to 12 to 20 power with Mil/Mil, side focus and CRS feature. So far the Vortex PST is what I keep coming up with. Any other suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danco411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I've been around the block so to speak. I spoke with the XLR guy - 8-10 weeks with 50% down. I spoke with the Rock Solid guy - maybe 4 weeks. I really want a folder so the Rock Solid is out. Looked at the Wiskey 3. Nice but also a long wait. It's all coming down to wait time. I hate to wait!!!!! I ordered a MCree online today along with a mag, rear bag and rail piece all for $700 shipped. They were all in stock. Best part it will come in raw alumininum. Now what color to Cerakote? Thinking burnt bronze.

I have also decided I do not want a FFP scope. I will mainly do bench shooting at paper and long range steel. I'm good with the SFP so that's what I want to stick with. This knocks out the Weaver and Bushnell Tacticals. I've been searching all over for a SFP in 3 or 4 to 12 to 20 power with Mil/Mil, side focus and CRS feature. So far the Vortex PST is what I keep coming up with. Any other suggestions?

</div></div>

I picked up a KRG folder monday evening and it will be here tomorrow according to the Fed-ex tracker Did you contact KRG ? If you're looking for a good deal on Vortex SFP scopes there is a demo sale post that has some decent deals at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luckyshot27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">your 5r will look like this if u get a ax chassis..i love mine...

5r.jpeg
</div></div>

Dam that is a Clean Looking 5R!!! Awesome setup!

As for the SFP Scope, it'll be Very Hard to beat a Vortex Viper for what you're looking for. It'll be cheaper than the FFP as well. Sounds like your build is coming along well.

Post some pictures once it's all bolted together bro!

Why no love the the JP Enterprise stock on this forum?

I think the g2dmr reticle in the Bushnell is a very good design for punching paper at 100 but still is ffp for movers and holds at any power. I got a hdmr first and love it, followed it up with a 6-24ffp tactical with the g2dmr. It is lighter and more compact then the hdmr. U will like the Mcree, mine is a folder and is pretty good, kinda heavy compared to my aics and pdc. My xlr on order should be a lb lighter then the Mcree.

I got an email this morning from MCree with a tracking number showing deliver tomorrow! Wow that sure kills an 8 week wait. I did consider JP because I use alot of their stuff on AR's. I really don't like the JP tube. Just does not strike me in any way for some reason. They do make excellent stuff but very pricey. All said and done I'll be into the MCree for under $600 for a folder. The JP when you ad a PRS stock will put you in the AX range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Actually, Rock Solid has a folder.
</div></div>

FYI he said he is not done with his folder yet so it is not available. It will also add $150 to the price putting him at $900.

I think I am going to leave my barrel "in the white" and use the new Black Chrome Gunkote on the MCree. I did some AR parts with it last night and it's wicked cool. More a of a silver/gray than black but very different. This will not be used for hunting so some bling is in the making!

I think it will end up with the Vortex on it. Now debating if I need illuminated reticle of the PST or go with the HS. I don't mind the 1/2 Mil clics for elevation as I will probably get a custom turret for it anyway. I'll pretty much stay with my 178g Hornady A-Max - 43.2g TAC - LC LR brass load anyway as this is what the 5R loves.

Hope to have pics by Monday. Thanks for all the advice! The hide is awesome!!!!!

Hey Papa Three Zero thanks for the tip! I just ordered a PST 4-16x50 SFP MRAD from Cameraland for $579 shipped! I'm good to go now. Can't wait to shoot it!

We have a Coyote problem in our area in Northern Michigan where I have second home. I think I am going to make up some 110g V-Max loads for this and try and take a Yote at 400 yards from our heated blind. I picked up a PRS large Tripod which should make shooting easy!

Now maybe a trigger! DOH does this ever end!!!! LOL

OK one last question from the experts. I'll probably be having ProPrecision Rifles flute my bolt and maybe even my barrel. Right now I have the 11 degree target crown on the 24" SS barrel. Should I get it threaded for a break? I don't really need a break for recoil. The .308 is hardly a shoulder breaker. But then again I may want to suppress it at some time. What is the general concensus on threaded barrels and breaks on the .308? Worth the cash to have it threaded?

May as well thread it if you're sending it in. But honestly, there's little to no utility in a fluted barrel. I'd skip having it fluted and just have it threaded with a thread protector. I'd even consider having the brake put on it if you're confident with your fundamentals, it will you spot your own shots, whether you need it or not for recoil. If you're fundamentals lack, the brake is going to hurt your skill set's development.

This is a Rem 700 in the XLR chassis with a 6-24x50 PST.

XLR260Rem.jpg

Everything about this chassis is rock solid. With the amount of adjustability the stock offers it is very easy to make it fit like a glove.

Plus it shoots great!

Kyle is great to work with. I dont think you will find a company with better customer service.

Thanks Tyler. I'm OK with the basics. I have a good amount of trigger time behind the AR10 platform with and without a break. I was only going to flute the barrel for the "bling" factor.

Man that XLR is sweet. Maybe I'll order one for my son's 700SPS. I just could not wait two months. I sold my factory stock so I can't even shoot it while I wait! LOL

I will admit, the wait was rough! But, Kyle overnighted it to ensure it got here the weekend of my birthday... A very generous move on his part.

In the end, well worth the wait and I will be buying/waiting on another one for my next build.

An XLR for your son's SPS would be a great buy. Im not sure of his age/size, but the XLR has alot of flexibility for length of pull, which would allow the rifle to "grow" as he does.

The base is a Leopold Mark 4 15 MOA base and the rings are the Leopold Mark 4 High.

Its a tight fit. I can slide one playing card between the scope's objective and the forend tube.