• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which concentricity ga. to get

Gunnysgt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2011
North Central Maine
I am currently seeking to purchase a new concentricity ga. The choices are the 21st Century Go here to see> Concentricity Gauge
OR
PRECISION REFLEX, INC. - REFLEX RUN OUT RIG CONCENTRICITY GAUGE. Go here to see> Precision Reflex - Product Detail - Run Out Rig Concentricity gage - $175.00

The 21st century has no means of adjusting the bullet to correct the run-out...The Precision Reflex does.

The Precision Reflex has a height indicator gauge. Although it offers an economical solution to the problem, this type of gauge was not intended for the purpose of measuring rotating diameters. They will lead to inaccuracies due to indicator rod flex and bounce.

The 21 Century incorporates a horizontal dial test indicator. This type of gauge was designed specifically for checking rotating diameters and in fact is exactly the type of gauge used in the machining industry for decades to measure run out

I currently have a Sinclair Ga but that's it. No way to correct an out of round seated bullet. The Hornady Lock and Load Ga also has a screw to correct out of round bullets but again uses the height indicator gauge.

Ultimately I don't wish to spend $$ on another Gauge but I cannot find any less expensive tool specifically designed to only correct out of round bullets, not to measure them.
I do like the 21 Century tool with its horizontal indicator opposed to the Precision Reflex and am inclined to go for the former.

What method do you guys use to correct an out of round seated bullet short of pulling out the bullet and starting over. Pulling bullets with a bullet extractor can ruin a bullet. I have an inertia hammer currently but have to bang the heck out of it to remove the bullet.

Thank you

Gunny

I bought two run out gauges and never use them. Personally I believe it's a waste of money unless your trying to get that extra .00004 for the win. Otherwise you probably won't shoot good enough to know the difference.

+1, the best guage is the one screwed in your press.
I bought two run out gauges and never use them. Personally I believe it's a waste of money unless your trying to get that extra .00004 for the win. Otherwise you probably won't shoot good enough to know the difference.

I have a Hornady and a rcbs, I use them both to Check runout.

I believe in checking for runout before shooting at long range targets.

save your $ an use what you have. if your getting more than .002 runout figure out where it's coming from and fix it. a tool to straighten it is not the anwser.

Got a question for those who probably know. What is the most probable cause of runout? Assuming you identify unwanted runout by whichever dial gauge tool you use, and have use some sort of decent bullet seating die (I use a Forster) to try to seat the bullet on the same axis as the case, why does runout occur? I'm assuming you're using some sort of quality projectile. (I'm checking the runout on the projectile approximately 1/8th of an inch above the end of the neck on a loaded cartridge.)

For runout exceeding .003", I've pulled the projectiles and have found that the most likely cause is uneven neck thickness of the case. When measuring the diameter of pulled projectiles I've found very little variance. Does it make sense that the case neck thickness variance will cause most of the runout? Thanks.

I have the 21 st century conc gage and it is truly superior for measuring internal diameters and inside neck concentricity.
Although if you want the most user friendly and accurate gage, that gives repeatable measurements.
The accuracy one gage is surely the best out there, the wheel drive feature removes any variances due to unevenly applied pressure while turning the case, and the back stop works excellent, as it turns the case back into it for accurate results.
It also uses a horizontal dial test indicator just like the 21 st century version, and adjusting it is super easy and convenient.
If looking for only a concentricity gage it is the best product available no doubt, but it costs 400 with a Mitutoyo indicator so they are not cheap.

Do not use any tools for correcting runout never have i tried one either, quality equipment and good reloading routine and brass prep can eliminate it's usefulness, just takes time and costs money.
Although such a tool can correct a misaligned bullet slightly, it will not affect necks of uneven thickness and i am skeptical about pushing a bullet sidweays as something has to give in order for it to move in the first place.

Uneven neck thickness is a contributor to runout, can be the only source sometimes and can cause your 0.003 of runout without a problem.
Turning necks, using a expander die and good sizing and seating dies will surely help.

Depending on your accuracy demands and expectations, how much runout is acceptable is only up to you, but i do regularly check the runout of my loaded ammunition wether it is for target or hunting purposes.
Although not every case, as if i see the normal consistency i usually find it good enough to check every 3-5 rounds.

Other causes can be, your presses threads, die threads, interior of the die, offset shellholder or ram, offset seating stem or sleeve that supports the case during seating, bullet variances etc.
0.003 is a very very small crookedness and finding it's culprit is not always as easy as one suspects.

I do not use threaded seaters, seat with arbor press and inline dies, and use high quality sizing dies prefer the WTC die, and have some from Triebel and a few from Redding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O71oLgRqJa4

Last edited:
Powermac -- thank you for the detailed answer. I'm certainly not currently able to fully comprehend and appreciate everything in your answer, but it certainly puts me on the right track in my reloading education. Thanks again.