• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Which Crown

SnkBit

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
Amarillo, TX.
I am going to have the barrel cut down on my .308. I have seen multiple types of crowns and I am curious what if any benefit one has over another. I would assume the recessed style would be more appropriate for a rig that will be regularly drug through the field for hunting purposes? We don't have any good gunsmiths in the area and I'm not looking at spending the money to ship it to one at this time. I am going to buy a new barrel soon and will have a professional do the work at that time. For now I simply want the factory barrel cut to a more manageable length, 20". Is this something I can count on "Bubba" to do without problems with accuracy? The reason I'm asking here is because I know this conversation will be useless with the local 'smith. I am going to have to be very specific with him in what I want and how to do it I'm sure.

Re: Which Crown

First question to you would be how long before you get a new barrel? Reason I say this is if it's not too long then I would just wait and spend the money your gonna use for the cut/crown on ammo and just go shoot more.

Second thing I would say is, I would definately not trust "BUBBA" to do this. The crown is a main part of the accuracy of a barrel being that it helps impart to the stability of the bullet as it's leaving the barrel. The more stable the bullet is the more true and accurate it will shoot.

Third is, I have no idea about the degree of a crown. I don't know if one is any better than the other, maybe a smith will jump in and let you know. If it were me I would probably do a recessed crown. The reason why is stated in the second part of my reply.

Well I am going to have to send my stock back to Mcmillan. It needs to be re-inletted for the new DBM and the new barrel contour before I can put the new barrel to use. I'm just wanting to shoot it for a while before I take it apart and spread it out all over the country for a couple months. I figured if I could get it cut down for less than $100 it would be worth it for the time being. Unfortunately my best bet for a gunsmith is going to be the know it all at the local Gander Mountain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chpprguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html </div></div>

Good info posted above and to the OP, if you got the money by all meens go ahead but I would get a professional to cut/crown it. Just think, say you do spend only a $100 bucks to have the Gander guy cut/crown, if it causes it to shoot like shit than your out $100 and have to spend more to have it done right. If a reputable smith does it first you may have to spend a little more but at least you have peace of mind its done right.

I experimented with crowns on my .17 barrel last year. Not sure if my results would apply to the .308, but a 90 degree crown gave the best results. I did the crowning myself and experimented with diameter and depth, and a crown diameter of .630 Across face and .04 deep seemed to be the sweet spot. Again, not sure if my results will be any good to you, but both the .17 and the .308 are boat tails so who knows. Here is mine...
guns-1.jpg

guns022.jpg

What type of crown you use is far less important than how accuratly it is done. I single point all my crowns dialed in as close to zero as possible. That being said, a flat of flat/recessed crown is less sensitive to runout than an 11deg beveled type crown.