• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which Custom Action?

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
I am looking to build a .300 Win Mag long action in a Rem 700 pattern.

I have looked around on the net and really onlyfound one I like, Surgeon

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/1086

Is there anything else I should look at ?

For the cost and time, I just dont know if trying to true up a factory one is worth it vs. custom.

Re: Which Custom Action?

Surgeons are great but you could go with a stiller and spend $500+ less. I was debating the same thing for my next build and decided on the stiller. I've heard nothing but good things about the latest generation stiller actions. The Stiller's are a little lighter too if that maters for your build. That being said...if I was rich and money was no issue, I'd go with the Surgeon! lol

The guys from gap were saying how much they liked te bighorn stuff, probably worth looking at

I would throw Defiance Actions into the mix as well. A lot of top builders use them as their base to start custom builds with.

defiance machine

I would go with a Stiller Action. They are priced right and they have the best customer service. You can most likely get one right now either through them or bugholes on here.

Bighorn actions here in our backyard. My Bighorn LA chambered in 284 is a hammer.

I've heard good things regarding Stiller and Pierce, one of which will be used on my next build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bighorn actions here in our backyard. My Bighorn LA chambered in 284 is a hammer. </div></div>

This is one of my builds currently in progress!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also last time I checked there was a pretty long wait time on the Surgoen 1086 actions.</div></div>

Third Generation Shooting Supply has a couple on hand.

Not sure what your intent is with R700 footprint, but the Badger M2008 actions are some of the nicest, smoothest and probably stiffest actions I've used. They have a 60* throw (6) bolt lugs, dual recoil lugs and a flat bottom base for excellent contact with the chassis or stock. They also have a very long tenon that should help withy heavy barrels. They are priced reasonably and Marty is a heck of a great guy to deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would throw Defiance Actions into the mix as well. A lot of top builders use them as their base to start custom builds with.

defiance machine </div></div>

another +1 for defiance, I sold all of my surgeons and bought defiance actions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would throw Defiance Actions into the mix as well. A lot of top builders use them as their base to start custom builds with.

another +1 for defiance, I sold all of my surgeons and bought defiance actions </div></div>

Out of curiosity what compelled you to do that? I've had an action from nearly every action maker and to me Surgeon and Bighorn are in another league. Not trying to be a dick, just curious what aspect of the Defiance you like so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger M2008 actions are some of the nicest, smoothest and probably stiffest actions I've used. They have a 60* throw (6) bolt lugs, dual recoil lugs and a flat bottom base for excellent contact with the chassis or stock. They also have a very long tenon that should help withy heavy barrels. They are priced reasonably and Marty is a heck of a great guy to deal with.</div></div>

+1
I only have experience with the short action, but when I think about what I would like in an action itself that the M2008 doesnt deliver... I come up blank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would throw Defiance Actions into the mix as well. A lot of top builders use them as their base to start custom builds with.

another +1 for defiance, I sold all of my surgeons and bought defiance actions </div></div>

Out of curiosity what compelled you to do that? I've had an action from nearly every action maker and to me Surgeon and Bighorn are in another league. Not trying to be a dick, just curious what aspect of the Defiance you like so much. </div></div>

Im really curious also...

I dont understand why their is no love for Bat Machine on the hide. Butter smooth actions. And all the talk about their tolerances being so tight that they bind up in the field is bull shit. I hunt with my 300winmag built on a Bat Action every year. In the snow, rain, dirt, etc. Never had a problem. My buddy builds guns on every action imaginable. Surgeon, Bat, Remington, Sako, Lawton, Bighorn, Kelblys....the l ist goes on and on. By far he uses Bat the most. When I was at his shop during deer season he had a Surgeon and Bat repeater side by side. the Bat was way way smoother.

gunla.jpg

I think you will be happy with any of the above actions. (tac300, defiance, surgeon, bighorn). With saying that you may want to take into conderation who is going to be doing the build and will they build on the action you choose. I am in the middle of a build and I went with a stiller tac300 for a 280AI. Good luck on your build.

My last rifle was built on a Pierce and I couldn't be happier. I went with their cone bolt face, tactical knob, pinned recoil lug and 20-MOA base. John, Jim and everyone at Pierce are outstanding people and I very much enjoy working with them.

DSC_8772Large.jpg

DSC_8757Large.jpg

We've built lots of rifles on other "top tier" actions by manufacturers including (off the top of my head in no particular order) Defiance, Stiller, X-Treme Shooting Products, BAT Machine, Surgeon, and Badger. The Bighorns are also very nice. You won't go wrong with any of these. Buy the one with the features you like the most.

Pierce is very well known and respected in the benchrest community but not as well known in the "tactical" world but I think that will change. For those of you who don't know about X-Treme Shooting Products, they used to build the Remington Titanium actions. Really awesome stuff and one to watch for sure.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You'll never go wrong with a Surgeon. </div></div>I wouldn't say never. I did. So did a few people I know. My Surgeon works fine now, though, thanks to GAP.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sold all of my surgeons and bought defiance actions </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity what compelled you to do that?</div></div>He wanted a repeater that would eject reliably without modifying the length of the ejection port.

That's interesting. I've never had a failed ejection. I'll definitely continue to use Surgeons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's interesting. I've never had a failed ejection. I'll definitely continue to use Surgeons. </div></div>Run the bolt hard and see if the empy case hits the side of the port and lands back on top of the magazine facing in the wrong direction. Some do it, some don't.

I don't doubt what Graham is saying may have happened in the past but I'd guess they have fixed that issue. There arnt many people in the world faster on the bolt than John Summers and Terry Cross and I've never seen them have a problem. Those two guys spend a lot of time in the winners circle and that speaks volumes to me.

Dustin

Templar (Defiance)
Badger
Surgeon

I had a GAP7000 (Lawton) and it was VERY reliable. Never an issue but I wouldn't point anyone in Lawton's direction.

Those have proven themselves to me in the dirty field. I'm not too hip on BR actions that try to be tactical actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Also last time I checked there was a pretty long wait time on the Surgoen 1086 actions. </div></div>

If you are interested in a 1086 you might want to call and talk to Stephen at Surgeon tomorrow because I know they have quite a few in stock now.

Dustin

I have rifles built on Rem, Surgeon, Defiance, and had one built on a Stiller (no longer own it).

I really like the way both the Surgeon and the Defiance function. I wouldnt hesitate to buy or build on either of them again, and will in the future.

I do have a complaint about one of my Surgeon actions though. When ejecting spent rounds, it puts a flat spot on the side of my case mouths. I assume this is from pressure pushing it against the inside of the action just before it clears the ejection port as the bolt it being cycled back. Now, this may not be a big deal to some, but I neck size only (or want to anyway), but this flat spot on the case mouth forces me to have to run an expander ball back through the case mouth everytime to remove it.

Any easy fix for this or is a smith needed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have rifles built on Rem, Surgeon, Defiance, and had one built on a Stiller (no longer own it).

I really like the way both the Surgeon and the Defiance function. I wouldnt hesitate to buy or build on either of them again, and will in the future.

I do have a complaint about one of my Surgeon actions though. When ejecting spent rounds, it puts a flat spot on the side of my case mouths. I assume this is from pressure pushing it against the inside of the action just before it clears the ejection port as the bolt it being cycled back. Now, this may not be a big deal to some, but I neck size only (or want to anyway), but this flat spot on the case mouth forces me to have to run an expander ball back through the case mouth everytime to remove it.

Any easy fix for this or is a smith needed? </div></div>

You might try lightening your ejector spring by removing a coil at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have rifles built on Rem, Surgeon, Defiance, and had one built on a Stiller (no longer own it).

Any easy fix for this or is a smith needed? </div></div>

You might try lightening your ejector spring by removing a coil at a time. </div></div>

Or use a Lee collet neck sizer; it'll take the dent out of your neck and will have less runout than a conventional neck sizing die. For less than $20 you should give it a shot; you might be surprised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's interesting. I've never had a failed ejection. I'll definitely continue to use Surgeons. </div></div>Run the bolt hard and see if the empy case hits the side of the port and lands back on top of the magazine facing in the wrong direction. Some do it, some don't. </div></div>

It does happen when you spin a piece of brass.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've ran my Surgeons as hard as I can in practice and in matches and it's never failed me. </div></div>

Ahve a few of them myself. it is a roll of the dice have only had it happen once or twice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Templar (Defiance)
Badger
Surgeon

I had a GAP7000 (Lawton) and it was VERY reliable. Never an issue but I wouldn't point anyone in Lawton's direction.

Those have proven themselves to me in the dirty field. I'm not too hip on BR actions that try to be tactical actions. </div></div>
Just wondering, what negatives have you run into with the Lawton? I'm looking into many of the same actions for my first custom rifle and I had settled on Lawton due to the price advantages over the others, but if there are significant drawbacks I would be more than willing to shell out and extra hundred or two.

The drawback isnt in the action, its in the people who produce or USED to produce them...

Trust us... stay away from Lawton...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Badger M2008 actions are some of the nicest, smoothest and probably stiffest actions I've used. They have a 60* throw (6) bolt lugs, dual recoil lugs and a flat bottom base for excellent contact with the chassis or stock. They also have a very long tenon that should help withy heavy barrels. They are priced reasonably and Marty is a heck of a great guy to deal with.</div></div>

+1
I only have experience with the short action, but when I think about what I would like in an action itself that the M2008 doesnt deliver... I come up blank. </div></div>

+100!! M2008's are my favorite action by far. I have several and a few are set up as switch barrels. They are built like a tank so not light, but the 60* bolt throw is great and they are very smooth.

Only a fool would bash Surgeon actions. However, when I built my custom rifle, I ended up using a Defiance Machine action for a number of reasons. The rifle turned out fabulous, I can't imagine anyone giving better customer service, and I have been very happy with how the rifle shoots.

There are a number of excellent actions out there. You just have to decide which features you want. The only way I could get everything I wanted was by getting the Defiance Machine action.

I have a couple stillers (TAC 30 and TAC 300), one surgeon and alot of remmys and have played with and shot some AI's. All that said, they all work and work well! My next custom build will be on another stiller. Nothing against the surgeon though, I just like the guys at stiller and they have done me very well with a great performing action, plus the navy just spent a BUNCH of money on testing various actions for the new MK 13 sniper system and guess what they picked- Stiller TAC 300.